Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Trimmer Injuries?

I have the Fiskars rotary trimmer like this where you can switch out the blades, but often (like 5 minutes ago) I slice my finger when I switch the blades out - any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted in error.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mo, I don't mean to sound silly, and I'm sorry you cut your finger, but I think you need to get another trimmer, really.

I recommend the Making Memories Precision Trimmer which has a self-sharpening blade and never needs to be touched or changed. I love, love mine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Mo, I don't mean to sound silly, and I'm sorry you cut your finger, but I think you need to get another trimmer, really.

I recommend the Making Memories Precision Trimmer which has a self-sharpening blade and never needs to be touched or changed. I love, love mine.
No you don't sound silly, I was thinking of doing that myself. The blades give you different cuts. I was thinking of picking up another trimmer so I could leave on for the straight cuts and have the other for the 'fancy' cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

No advice, but I cut my hand/fingers on a regular basis with my guillotine type trimmer. Gotta remember NOT to pick up up on that cutting edge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I did the same thing on a Fiskar cutter the first time I changed blades. I have the same one you do and liked the way you could 'lock' the portion that contains the blade for transport to workshops. I now use a Tonic guillotine cutter for my straight cuts and a Marvy cutter for the fancy cuts. The Marvy has the blades enclosed in a housing so you shouldn't have an exposed blade that you can touch. I don't like the Marvy for the straight cuts because I can't keep narrow lengths of paper from moving so can't make the really 'shaving' type cuts I can do with the Tonic.

I want to give my unused Fiskar cutter away to someone who requests crafting supplies for groups but would not like the thought of someone else slicing their fingers. Some of the requests come from groups that want to teach kids paper crafting.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 02-10-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: include more info on the Fiskar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

The title of this thread just made me cringe-so scary. Not to brag, but I've had my guilotine cutter for 18 years and never have cut my finger. I can't cut a straight piece of cardstock on a rotary cutter. But I watch other people in awe when they use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I haven't cut my finger on any of my trimmers, there have been close calls, thank goodness to nails LOL.
However I have sliced my finger with the Nestabilities, I contacted them to put on the packages that they are cutting hazard. Since it doesn't say.
As for paper trimmers, I have chopped pieces of my hair in few instances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the old style Fiskars table top cutter. The blade just locked in by turning the plastic cover - now they had a nut that goes over that to really lock it in.
I was cutting cardstock one night and the blade came out and sliced my hand. 8 stitches later....
I NEVER used that one again and now I have the new model with screw on nut to lock that blade in. I still have that old cutter though in the basement as I do not want anyone else to use it and cut themselves on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I had two Carl trimmers that were great for changing the blade, you turned the carriage bit and the blade came out with it and could be dropped out without touching and the new one picked up easilly however it kept jamming and didn't cut that well.

So I got the biggish Fiskars A4 rotary trimmer and cutting my finger was just inevitable as you have to get hold of the blade to take it off the carriage and you have to pick up the next blade to put on.

I picked up a perforating blade that was lying on the trimmer after use on Monday and cut my finger, just a little cut but such a lot of blood!

I love how the trimmer cuts, and doesn't jam but I have always thought the blade changing was dangerous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased this trimmer but haven't opened it yet. I have the 12" Ultimate Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer, but cannot find replacement cutting bars that the blade goes into. When the 50% coupon came out, I thought I'd be better off getting a new cutter. Anyway, not to my question. Does it have an arm that swings out for 12 x 12 paper? Does it have both like in my ultimate trimmer? Don't know how you did that nifty link on your word, but I've attached a picture of the ultimate trimmer I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Trimmer Injuries?-fiskars-ultim-craft-trimmer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

They have a 12X12 version - which I may get some day, first b/c I think it would be more stable, 2nd b/c I could leave the scallop blade in the smaller one. This one has a swing arm, but only on one side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

This must be a common problem with this trimmer. I have the same one and slice my finger every time I change the blade. I've just given up on ever using the scallop blade again. It's just not worth it. Funny thing... I was at Archiver's weekend before last and the lady demonstrating the cutter did the exact same thing. She said that almost everyone in the store had. I think Fiskars needs to work on that design.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Until 2 weeks ago I hadn't every cut my finger on any of the trimmers I have used in 8 years. I was helping out at a Girl Guide meeting where the girls were making cards, and one of the leaders asked me to help out and cut out some stuff (nothing tricky or difficult). I sliced my fingers 3 times, and 1x quite badly in under 10 minutes. I wasn't even changing blades!

Anyway, I recommend the Carl Trimmer. I've changed the blade on it many times (going back and forth between decorative, score & straight cut). It's simple, and the blade sits in the carriage so you can put it directly into its case with minimal touching if any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I use a twizzers when I switch my blades. Save on getting sliced fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

The only time I've cut myself using a trimmer was when the blade seemed to have blunted so I had to touch it to check :oops:.

I do the same thing with my iron - quick finger tap to see if it's hot enough - no burns yet, but one day ...

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes