Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Personal cutting system?

Okay, I'm not certain I need a personal cutting system, so for those of you who own one, tell me why I need one and which one I need. I know...that's a tall order, but I'm not sold on any of them and I always hear people talking about how much they love them. Do I need one? With Christmas coming, I can ask DH for the cutting system of my choice and be guaranteed that he'll get it because he's always looking for a big gift for me. I don't let him buy clothes because the only taste he has is in his mouth! Anyway, now is the time for me to consider if I need one and if so, which one is best. Can you help by giving me your opinion?

Thanks loads! Oh, I'm a scrapper and card maker so if I get one, I'd use it for both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do a lot of workshops, I would suggest a Carl Cutter! I love mine!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I think you mean a cutter that cuts out die cuts, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I have a Dahle 550 rotary cutter and I absolutely love it! I have had it since February and haven't had to change the blade at all. I use it quite often, almost on a daily basis. Bought mine at www.factory-express.com. I still have my Fiskars that I use for smaller cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

bump. I am curious too. What does one do with a Circut, for example?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I'm trying to decide if I need a Sizzix, Cricut, Xyron Personal Cutter, Big Shot or whatever else is out there. That's the question I'm trying to get input on.

Now, ladies, if you want a trimmer "to die for" and I do, you need to check out www.genesistrimmer.com My hubby is always talking about having the best tools and get the best job done. This is definitely the best tool as it is the one Ms. Becky Higgins has in her personal studio. Therefore, since it is the best, I must need it. Now, where do I come up with the extra $290? If I don't get one of the above cutters, I'm getting this trimmer for Christmas with a light.

Back to the original question, do any of you demos using any of the tools above and if so, do you think you really need them. I know I don't need them for SU! because I wouldn't use them for workshops, etc. and I'm only a hobby demo anyway. However, I'm in a card ministry at church and I make probably 100 to 150 cards a month for church. I try to keep them pretty simple, but I think that I could do some cutie pattooty things with a cutting system. I wonder though if I am wasting my money on something that is going to take up space and cost me more in the long run. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi
I have the Cricut and do love it... but I don't think I would classify it as a "need to have" item. I am a scrapper and a stamper and use it for both- it does not take up very much space, but it is a little pricey. I don't have the sizzix but the dies for that seem to cost alot more when you really consider the different sizes and "stuff" the cricut cartridges offer.
Hope this helps and if it's a Christmas present I say go for it all!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default Cricut

I just got the Cricut this week. I LOVE it! I don't know anything about the other cutters, but I was sold on this one because it cuts 1 inch all the way to 5 inches. There is a cart for die cut boxes, you can siloutte cut shapes to make frames that are triangle, rec, square, circle, etc. Layering is a breeze with the shadow feature. The fonts are awesome for scrapping titles, sayings, card sentiments, etc. I have used it several times this week and have only had it since Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have quickuts. sizzix, and cricut. I love them all, but my cricut is by far my favorite! I rarely use my sizzix. Their dies are rather bland. I love the quickuts dies, but the tool itself hurts my hands. Cricit on the other hand has cartridges and is sooo easy to use. The cartridges are such a good value. I sizzix ABC set is about $150 cricut carts. retail for $90 have an ABC set and many other things on them and you can make em any size you want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Thanks ladies! Those sizzix dies worry me because I'd rather store stamps and papers than dies! If the cricut doesn't take up too much room and it doesn't seem to, then the only thing I think I'd have to store is the cartridges and I think I can handle that. I'm going to get a demo on this one to see if I deem it a "must have". Thanks for all your comments and input! Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes