Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Photoshop Elements

Can someone please help me? I am thinking of buying this program, but want to know if it does some specific things first (I am a newbie to photography and editing).

Does Photoshop:

(1) Let you do color accent (make the picture black and white, but keep one item in color)?

(2) Color wash(?)/tinting (where the whole picture gets put into one color ala Andy Warhol).

(3) Let you put multiple frames into a 4x6 format (like 6 small 2x2 pictures put onto a 4x6 picture)?

Thanks!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to stamp I go!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep you can do all of that, some easier than others. You can download a free trial of elements to try it out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Photoshop Elements.. As Acceber said, you can definitely do all that and then some.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Here's an original photo (see attached). Then I went through and did a few of the things you were asking about. (I just did the black and white, colorwashes and created the collage since I posted my first reply.) I had already blurred the background so the girls popped earlier today.
Attached Thumbnails
Photoshop Elements-girls-z-small.jpg  

Last edited by KimberlyinMN; 11-07-2007 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

1. I made the background black and white and left the girls colorized.
  2. Did a colorwash Warhol-style in purple.
  3. Made a collage that can print out 4 x 6. Well, I saved this particular image for the web so the print quality won't be as good as my larger file on my computer... but it does show that you can put more than one image on a smaller size.
Attached Thumbnails
Photoshop Elements-girls-bw-small.jpg   Photoshop Elements-girls-collage.jpg   Photoshop Elements-girls-pur-small.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes it does I just can't figure out how to do it LOL

I think you can download it free for a trial version to see if you like it at adobe.com.....

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
  1. I made the background black and white and left the girls colorized.
  2. Did a colorwash Warhol-style in purple.
  3. Made a collage that can print out 4 x 6. Well, I saved this particular image for the web so the print quality won't be as good as my larger file on my computer... but it does show that you can put more than one image on a smaller size.
WOW, I have had this program at least a couple years and do the very basics with it. I guess I best get going and learn some of these tricks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I forgot to post the image that I made with the background blurred and the girls in focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Photoshop Elements-girls-small.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Here's a link to the Adobe Photoshop Elements site and the link is there to download the free trial. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/ It's a HUGE download so if you have dial-up, just be aware that it could take a day or so. Before you buy, make sure to check Amazon.com to see if it's cheaper there. The newest version is 6.0 but there aren't that many changes that you HAVE to have the latest. You can probably get 5.0 for much cheaper at Amazon.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Kimberly - I love the one where the girls are in color and the background is black/white. I might have to get this program even though I'm computer challenged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I too have been wondering about this program. I have a few slightly blurred pictures. Can it fix the focus? Also, I was wondering about snow pictures. I have many, and they look so bright on my screen, but when printed, they are so dark (clouds, I guess). Can it "brighten" a picture without actually changing the colours? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes you can sharpen slightly blurry pictures but if you keep sharpening the picture will eventually degrade and become grainy and dark.

How do you separate images out to blur some and not others, or make only part of a picture black and white? I have version 6 ....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
I too have been wondering about this program. I have a few slightly blurred pictures. Can it fix the focus? Also, I was wondering about snow pictures. I have many, and they look so bright on my screen, but when printed, they are so dark (clouds, I guess). Can it "brighten" a picture without actually changing the colours? TIA
And yes it brightens too.....it really is a must have

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
I too have been wondering about this program. I have a few slightly blurred pictures. Can it fix the focus?
Just to let you know... it will not totally fix an out of focus photo! If the photo is taken out of focus then it will pretty much stay that way... elements has an "unsharp" tool which is actually the sharpening tool. What it actually does is sharpen grain so it appears to have fixed the focus. It will do great for very slightly blured. but if the photo is blurred it will not fix it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
Yes you can sharpen slightly blurry pictures but if you keep sharpening the picture will eventually degrade and become grainy and dark.

How do you separate images out to blur some and not others, or make only part of a picture black and white? I have version 6 ....
Here's how to make part of a photo black and white. There are shortcut key options to do this but I'll use the long way in the instructions:
  1. In Photoshop Elements 6.0, open the picture.
  2. Create a duplicate layer by clicking on Layers from the menu bar and then selecting Duplicate Layer.
  3. Click the OK button. (You can rename the layer if you want prior to clicking the OK button.)
  4. Now save this as a new .psd file so that you can keep working on it. (File, then Save As.) Make sure you save frequently so that you don't lose your work.
  5. Hide the duplicate layer by clicking on the "eye" to the left of the new layer in the Layers palette.
  6. Click the original layer (background layer).
  7. Make this layer black and white by clicking on Enhance from the menu bar and then selecting Convert to Black and White. I typically choose the Portraits option and then click the OK button.
  8. Unhide the duplicate layer by clicking on the spot where the "eye" had been.
  9. Now you just need to remove the areas that you want to be displayed as black and white. You can use the Magic Wand tool to select certain colors or you can use the Lasso tool to select larger areas.
  10. Click the Delete key on your keyboard to remove the areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

It's almost the same steps to making some areas blurry while others remain sharp:
  1. In Photoshop Elements, open the picture.
  2. Create a duplicate layer by clicking on Layers from the menu bar and then selecting Duplicate Layer.
  3. Click the OK button. (You can rename the layer if you want prior to clicking the OK button.)
  4. Now save this as a new .psd file so that you can keep working on it. (File, then Save As.) Make sure you save frequently so that you don't lose your work.
  5. Hide the duplicate layer by clicking on the "eye" to the left of the new layer in the Layers palette.
  6. Click the original layer (background layer).
  7. Make this layer blurry by going to Filters from the menu bar and then select Blur and then Gaussian blur.
  8. Click the OK button.
  9. Unhide the duplicate layer by clicking on the spot where the "eye" had been.
  10. Now you just need to remove the area that you want to be displayed as blurry. You can use the Magic Wand tool to select certain colors or you can use the Lasso tool to select larger areas.
  11. Click the Delete key on your keyboard to remove the areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

To do a colorwash:
  1. In Photoshop Elements, open the picture.
  5. With the duplicate layer selected, click Enhance from the menu bar and then select Adjust Color and then select Adjust Hue/Saturation.
  6. Drag the Hue slider to the left or right to change the colors. Sometimes this gives you funky results if you are working on a color photo. To get an even colorwash, you may need to work on a black and white layer.
  7. Make the duplicate layer black and white by making sure that layer is selected and then click on Enhance from the menu bar and select Convert to Black and White. I typically choose the Portraits option and then click the OK button.
  8. With the duplicate layer still selected, click Enhance from the menu bar and then select Adjust Color and then select Adjust Hue/Saturation.
  9. Make sure the Colorize checkbox is marked and then drag the Hue slider to the left or right.
  10. Click the OK button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, the hardest part is selecting the area to remove (or to keep, depending on how you are doing this). One REALLY cool thing is that you can actually save your selection area marquee. It will only work in that particular .psd file, but it save you a lot of time. I usually save a new selection as I'm going too because one wrong click and the marquee can disappear. I do like the additional buttons for selecting images though... The "add to selection" and "remove from selection" buttons are my friends. I also like the feature to invert the selection as well. So, if I draw the marquee around the two girls, I can go to Selection from the menu bar and then select Inverse. What this will do is instead of having the two girls select, it inverts the selection so that the girls are the only area NOT selected. I can then click the Delete key on my keyboard and the whole background is erased.

An excellent resource for learning Photoshop Elements is the Scrapper's Guide video training CD. You can watch each lesson and then do the lesson yourself with the included images. You can also print out the lesson steps from a PDF file. She's working on a version 6.0 CD right now. Volume 2 is also good for learning other techniques. Linda Sattgast is an excellent teacher. The videos display the program fully on your screen. You can pause the program and do the lesson or just watch the lesson.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Photoshop Elements

To do a colorwash:

Kimberly, Thanks so much for taking all the time to let us unaware Elements user's these tricks. Too Cool. And the tip on Scrappers Guide is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Thank You Thank You

Thanks so much to all for their replies.

Special thanks to Kimberly for all the info -- as soon as I am done with this post, I am retrieiving Photoshop from my Amazon wishlist and ordering it. Thank you SO MUCH!

Splitcoast is the best forum I've ever been on -- everyone is super helpful!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to stamp I go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, SCS is the best place on the planet!!

Kimberly - the girl's are adorable and I LOVE what you did with the photo's! Thank you so incredibly much for posting all that information, (you ROCK by the way). I think I'm finally going to go purchase it!

Josephine - thanks for posting the questions!!
Reply With Quote Likes