Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

[quote=roxy64;13347818]
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Well I see I am in execellent company! I wish I had the money back for these jewels...

Stampress - I can't even give it away!

I hear you on this one. Worse yet, I even bought an extra plate for it. thankfully all purchased at 50% off, but still............:rolleyes:
Do you have the foil strips.. I think I'll have to use those in another way.

Thought of another one - Sculpy Clay and all the clay tools. I used it maybe 3 time in 5 years.

But I do like my embossing powder tray and I use it all the time. the horrible blue color keeps me from dumping it when I doing production embossing as I always know where it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #42  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eyelet setters!! Everytime a new one came out I bought it because it was easier or quieter. I do love the crop-a-dile.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

>>Stampress - I can't even give it away!
what's the Stampress? sounds like one of those things i would have bought LOL. I have another thing to add to the list- glue sticks that don't work! i have bought glue sticks- different stores, different brands... probably 90% of my gluesticks never work. i just gave up finally and now i use FabriTac glue.
and to the brads that don't match anything.... tap the 'head' of the brad on an embossing inkpad, then dip it in embossing powder. hold the brad with a tweezer and heat-set. Careful, brads get hot! let it cool and do what you want. i have also heard of painting brads and buttons with nail polish (but if you scrapbook, nail enamel is a no-no)
this IS a fun thread, i'm sorta glad to see i'm not the only one with craft issues LOL
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

OMGosh . . . I guess I have made some bad purchases that I completely forgot about.

Let's see, there's those stupid plastic texture plates - :rolleyes: totally useless

colored EP - It was such a good idea at the time, before I learned that I can use ink and versamark.

eyelets - in every color under the rainbow and every shade of every color - UGH! But they were such a good deal LOL

Cheap dollar stamps - I barely use them.

cheap DP paper pads bought because a couple of sheets were really cute - UGH! But I refuse to throw them away because one of these days they may just match some project or something.

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of the others right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
>>Stampress - I can't even give it away!
what's the Stampress? sounds like one of those things i would have bought LOL. -laura s
Definition: Stampress - large piece of junk that cost $40 and looks so cool that you just KNOW you are going to love it because everyone oohed and awed over it.

Actually, you put your wheels in it and slide little strips of paper, sculpey clay, or metal and turn the crank and it impress the stamp image on the paper.

I had to be on meds the day I bought it :rolleyes: But I do remember thinking that just maybe I would use my wheels more. Nope, didn't happen! Instead I unmounted my wheels and now I use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Definition: Stampress - large piece of junk that cost $40 and looks so cool that you just KNOW you are going to love it because everyone oohed and awed over it.

Actually, you put your wheels in it and slide little strips of paper, sculpey clay, or metal and turn the crank and it impress the stamp image on the paper.

I had to be on meds the day I bought it :rolleyes: But I do remember thinking that just maybe I would use my wheels more. Nope, didn't happen! Instead I unmounted my wheels and now I use them!

LMAO!

thanks for the chuckle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
OMG, I'm totally laughing out loud here!! That's so true! It's the only way to explain the burning neeeeeed to buy paper stacks.

Thanks for the laugh!
I completely agree, but I'm doing better lately. I just keep telling myself I already have A LOT of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
Mine is the Score-it that I just had to have when it was on sale. I so wish I had waited for a Score-pal instead! I don't like it so it just sits in it's box and I can't justify buying the one I want when I already have one I don't use.
You could try selling it on ebay. I just checked and there have been many sold ranging in prices between $20-30. I don't know how much you bought it for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
OMGosh . . . I guess I have made some bad purchases that I completely forgot about.

Let's see, there's those stupid plastic texture plates - :rolleyes: totally useless

colored EP - It was such a good idea at the time, before I learned that I can use ink and versamark.

eyelets - in every color under the rainbow and every shade of every color - UGH! But they were such a good deal LOL

Cheap dollar stamps - I barely use them.

cheap DP paper pads bought because a couple of sheets were really cute - UGH! But I refuse to throw them away because one of these days they may just match some project or something.

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of the others right now!
The redeeming feature of these is that now, at least, they work GREAT in my Cuttlebug. :-D

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

Default I know I am in the minority, but....

for me it is the Cricut machine. Granted it has only cut 3 sheets of paper, so I haven't really given it a chance, but I could kick my own butt for buying that thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I love this thread LOLOLOL.

I especially love it because I also regret that stupid fascinator. The only good things is I used a 40% coupon on the thing. I keep it out because I keep thinking I'll use it and fall in love with it.

My good friend got the stamp press. LOLOL..it's never been out of the box. We're totally awed when we see a new cool thing.

Also, each year when I go to the York, PA stamp show, my friends and I are totally amazed at this one table. They use the brass embossing templates. They make beautiful glittery, just plain beautiful things with paste and "stuff". We buy it, get home and make a total mess. She makes it look so easy. We have all the instructions and still can't get it. I said next year, I'm taking a video camera LOLOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #52  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
This thread is like my entire crafting life flashing before my eyes. I have shelves of things I don't use but every now and then I pull out a "reject" and have fun with it. One thing that has never been out of the box after about 5 years is a punch gadget called Corner Copia, to line up any punch as a corner punch. hmmm
Mary Beth
Sell that on ebay. I know lots of people are looking for it. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #53  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by StolynnView Post
Also, each year when I go to the York, PA stamp show, my friends and I are totally amazed at this one table. They use the brass embossing templates. They make beautiful glittery, just plain beautiful things with paste and "stuff". We buy it, get home and make a total mess. She makes it look so easy. We have all the instructions and still can't get it. I said next year, I'm taking a video camera LOLOL
Oh man, I can so relate! My first time using the embossing paste it I had paste on me and everything on my desk. That paste really sticks including my sweats!

I bought a great dvd - Dreamweaver Down Under with Julie Makela. It was great and I made some very cool stuff after watching it. so take your camera because it's all in how you lay down the post-its.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

I totally agree, when you use stickers it downgrades the project. Your project looks like, " Hey that's nice, did your little one make that?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I agree with the paper stacks. I rarely use anything from them. But yet, I keep buying them. It's like they are coated with crack or something LOL. However, I will say that I buy far fewer of them now.

I only went through one cheap trimmer before I went for quality, so I think I'm good there. I have one white gel pen from SU and the rest I gave to my DD to play with.

Oh, oh, I know! Decorative scissors. WHAT was I thinking????
And charms. I have tons and I don't think I've ever used a single one.
Too many eyelets. On the rare occasions that I do use eyelets, I generally use a neutral like silver, gold, brass, black etc.
Stickers. I have drawers full of them and they are for the most part, NMS.
Glitter. It never looks right for for me. Everything looks like a kindergarten project when I use it. :rolleyes:

I think I could go on for days. I made all the rookie mistakes and then some. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

I got a new scrappin desk this weekend and have realized I have waaaay more stuff than I'll ever use. Good thing is that my students create a "squash" book in May in their language arts class. So, I donate my stuff to that teacher who appreciates it dearly and I know its going to an educational project and helps my students.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

Lets see: card idea books when most of the ideas were also available here on SCS
fibers when they were the rage even tho they made me uncomfortable cuz I'm not a fiber type of person.
some stamp sets that "everyone " was buying at stamp club so Like a lemming I joined in.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Use the staples without the Fastenator. I never can get 'em lined up where I want them either. But I break off the staple I want to use, plunk it on my inkpad to ink up the tips, place it on my card, use a large needle to make a hole where the ink is, then insert the staple. I bend the ends down with an eraser. Works perfect every time! My worst purchase must be the Fiskars Shapeboss, because until I was reading this thread, I forgot I had it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh, and don't forget the saying, "Everything old becomes new again."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

i have a full binder of stickers, had to have them ! never use them
especially alphabet stickers ! never enough E's and then i have leftover Q's, X's etc in many fonts !! i can try and donate to the local school, never thought of doing that.....thanks for that suggestion

colored embossing powders also tops my list....i should just pitch them to make more room.....now i mostly use black, clear, metallics and some of the mixed ones......

i have a tough time with the cropadile.....my eyelets are never aligned and frequently they get smooshed and the paper is toast...so i am another eyelet challengee !! and i have way too many eyelet setting systems.....one with a little spring that you are supposed to pull back on and "pling" the eyelet into place.....it needs a new home too. should stick to brads, coulda save a lot of money and bought more nesties !!

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

I have about 300 SU stamps that I'd like to add to the list. I bought so many of those sets because I saw a great project that used it, that I just had to have it! Now they just sit on a really big bookcase collecting dust. I have found that I much prefer PTI. Now if I could just get motivated enough to list them on BST!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

My latest 'stupid' purchase was the making memories tag maker, and an entire set of rims to go with it. I can never get the paper to actually stay in the crimped edges, and it always comes out a different shape then what I put in, (as in, i put in a circle rim and it comes out bent), and it also scuffs the rims up and makes them all scratched. Tried it once and didn't like it, took it to a retreat this weekend to try again, and still no luck... maybe i'll try and sell it and someone else will have more luck with it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Parchment design grid things

2 design parchment templates, madly I thought I would make wonderful parment surrounds for stamped images, Duh! who can line them up and keep them still long enough not to mention having eyes that work, was I mad? No just in buy-it-while-I-see-it mode too much poket money too little brain/willpower. which is why now I spend a whole day thinking, what will it go with? what have I already got? and they run out and I am safe!
Gel Pens 50 for �10 useless, glitter ones never work.
Shapeboss, makes a handy holder for my sharp knives, yep bought a cutting mat for mine! still no better.
EP only own black and clear.
Liquid paper effects ink in silver and gold, can't keep hand steady enough even to follow over pre-printed text. text stamps are easier.
Funny how you all say what you hate and then it gets sold OTBP! (Over the Big Pond)

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

speanburg ....ha ! i'll trade you all the colored EPs and all my stickers !! what sets do you have that need new homes? how about my 2 sizzlit alphabet die sets...i forgot about those unused/hadda have things !! maybe those 2 sets are worth a SU stamp set !!! i have never used either one !!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I think my worst buy has been the Melting Pot (I think that's what it's called). The first --okay, only-- time I used it, it seemed to burn the UTEE I was using. Huh? I thought that's what it was made to do. Not a happy experience and I've never bothered to get it back out again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

ha ! i forgot, i have one of those too and never once used it !!

this is a great thread, now i will have to go and look for some of these things that i didnt even remember i had ! and never use !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

LOL, I'm cracking up here picturing all the unsuspecting kids that have had scissors and paper thrown at them by their moms!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

I have SO much stuff I don't know where to start! ;)

-Definitely the Fastenator....it's still unopened along with the 10 or so packs of staples.
-Deco Scissors
-Cheap Patterned Paper that I thought that I had to have 5 years ago.

My problem is that I can't seem to give away anything that I have that i am not useing....after all someday I might use it, right.....I know, I know.....PURGE & SIMPLIFY!! (Then go out & buy MORE!!)

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #68  
Mad Swapper

>>My latest 'stupid' purchase was the making memories tag maker, and an entire set of rims to go with it.
you know i saw that and thought i had to have it, but it was more money than i had budgeted for the shopping trip. i guess it's good i never bought one
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #69  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamjulieView Post
I have SO much stuff I don't know where to start! ;)

My problem is that I can't seem to give away anything that I have that i am not useing....after all someday I might use it, right.....I know, I know.....PURGE & SIMPLIFY!! (Then go out & buy MORE!!)
Julie, I just finished a purge and I have to tell you it's wonderful.

I gave a ton of stuff to my friends and the rest to charity. The next step was to stop hoarding - I'm using all the "special stuff". It is so much more fun - no more worrying about saving it for the "special cards"! And best of all is I'm making room for more!! But I am being prudent about what I'm buying - no more because it's on sale - I keep saying "40% is still 60% on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fastenator

MM tag maker

These were both "oh I have a 40% off coupon and don't want to waste it" kind of purchases. Now I've learned my lesson and I don't even print out the coupons unless I'm already going shopping for a specific item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #71  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my MM tagmaker. I even bought the tagmaker punches so I don't have to mess with tracing the paper & cutting it out to fit the rims.

I'm glad to see I'm in good company regarding some of my other "treasures," though. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #72  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh - I forgot about the melting pot!! Mine never seemed to heat up enough to melt anything! I also have two sets (large and small) of these metal alphabet things where you use a hammer to impress the letter into metal - what was I thinking? I never use anything metal?

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Use the staples without the Fastenator. I never can get 'em lined up where I want them either. But I break off the staple I want to use, plunk it on my inkpad to ink up the tips, place it on my card, use a large needle to make a hole where the ink is, then insert the staple. I bend the ends down with an eraser. Works perfect every time! My worst purchase must be the Fiskars Shapeboss, because until I was reading this thread, I forgot I had it!
Thanks for the tip.....some of those staples are kind of cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Stampress...never heard of it..what is it??
Hate those EP trays..never used my mini sewing machine and have a rotary holder full of fancy scissors! Glad I am not the only one to make these mistakes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a wonderful (and funny) thread! Being an amateur I don't have too many regrets (yet!) but reading everybody's experiences is so helpful in figuring out what to strike off from my "wanted" list and what to keep.

I do have one regret which goes with "buy quality inkpads or regret" - I have 2 cheap white inkpads neither of which work :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by speanburg4View Post
I have about 300 SU stamps that I'd like to add to the list. I bought so many of those sets because I saw a great project that used it, that I just had to have it! Now they just sit on a really big bookcase collecting dust. I have found that I much prefer PTI. Now if I could just get motivated enough to list them on BST!

Do any of those dusty ol' sets happen to be the sunflower ones? I'm in the market for a couple of those at a reasonable price. ;)

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

i'd love "loads of love" at a reasonable price !!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

By far the MM Slice.
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
Pion design
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #79  
Inking Addict

If by stupid purchases you all mean "I don't have space in my house so my scrapping stuff stays in their totes until I can get to a crop and since I don't see it on a regular basis I go and buy clones of each item" then I've bought tons!! I think that I should take an inventory list with me each time I go to my LSS/my SU catalogue/my CM catalogue/Kijiji/any websites that I can purchase online/etc.. My friend seems to enjoy my addiction though, I simply sell her all of my doubles at a really great price and she doesn't even have to leave her house!!

Other than doubles, I've gotta say that I hate stickers yet have way too many.. I never seem to know where to use them or they never seem to match what I'm doing..

All of my glue sticks.. despise them and they never seem to work anyway!

Fancy scissors that look really pretty and act as a decoration on the table in my old scrap area (before the basement flooded)... the second set of scissors that I had bought for my daughter before I realized that I really won't ever use mine!

Many, many packages of the cheap Michael's paper (when I was still new and had no idea that quality over quantity was much smarter) that goes on sale for $3.99 or less all the time..

I'm sure if I could open my totes and see what I've got I could make my list longer, but I'll just keep it at this for now..

Soooo happy to see that I'm not the only one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

I bought that MM Tag Maker and hated it. I decided to get rid of it and was playing around. You can use an eyelet hammer to squish the tag. It works so much better than the actual tag maker. JMO I'm getting rid of the tag maker and some rims.;)
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes