Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #161  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsk34View Post
momis mama....I know alot of people who use those "Stacks of Paper" for making envelopes. They just put the decorative side inward keeping the white on the outside
That's a great idea -- one I'm going to put to quick use!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #162  
Inking Addict

Wow!! What a fantastic idea!! I never would have thought of that in a million years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsk34
momis mama....I know alot of people who use those "Stacks of Paper" for making envelopes. They just put the decorative side inward keeping the white on the outside
That's a great idea -- one I'm going to put to quick use!
You could even use the decorative side for your envelope too, no need to keep it "hidden". Just use a label for the address part.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #164  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
The dumbest thing I've bought is the Paper Tagger. I have only used it a couple times since I bought it at Mikes.

If I want hanging tags on a card, I've decided that tiny colored safety pins look cuter, and are easier to attach.
I just purchased this at a garage sale for $8 and it came with 2 additional boxes of tags. I thought it was pretty cool! I'm wishing I grabbed another one for my sister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #165  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlfrankView Post
Why don't you PM me the address and I'll happily send it to you...

Teri
I think some of this stuff would be confiscated since they can become potential weapons, LOL! - Fastenator, crop-o-dile . . .

Oops - just realized I copied the wrong quote. I meant to quote the one about using in prison ministry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #166  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampermomof2View Post
I think some of this stuff would be confiscated since they can become potential weapons, LOL! - Fastenator, crop-o-dile . . .

Oops - just realized I copied the wrong quote. I meant to quote the one about using in prison ministry.
My bad purchases:
tearing edge
fastenator
metal tag maker

I'll be selling some things at an upcoming garage sale. Not sure why I haven't added these items yet. I'm still hoping they will come in handy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #167  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&GsMomView Post
I would like to organize a swap where all you are allowed to use is the stuff you have mentioned on this list! I'm talking EVERYTHING you have mentioned on this list, so that you get back the most out-landish, crazy, maybe even hideous cards or lay-outs you have ever seen!!

Would anyone on this thread be interested? If I do go ahead with this, where should it be listed as a swap? I'd probably do categories (cards, pages, atcs, etc.) so would that go in the everything else?

Thanks!! : )
Is that a resounding 'NO!', no one is interested in this kind of swap since no one has said anything? I just read a post last night that made me think about my suggestion again. This was the post: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I'm not going to comment about the post here, but it did make me think about all the stuff I have unused in my craft room because I just never found the right project for it! This would be the perfect thing! ;)

Anybody interested?! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #168  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

GREAT thread!!!! About Score-It. I complained because it didn't mark straight, so Beth sent me a new one for free. That too has a crooked metal bar in the center. I think the packaging is so tight, it wrecks that bar. BUT, I adjust the paper to compensate for the crookedness and use the Score-It on EVERY card. Try two lines of scoring on the opening side of the front of your card, or a line of scoring around the margins of the card. Sometimes coloring between two lines of scoring, on the opening edge of the front, gives just the touch of color the card needed to make it look "finished". LOVE It!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #169  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the license to junk the Fiskar's embossing texture plates, reams of UGLY printed paper, boxes and boxes of eyelets that smoosh, trimmers of EVERY brand......even my Genesis disappoints......markers, pens, ink pads, reinkers of EVERY brand that went dry almost immediately, rubber stamps that impress clearly one out of about twenty times, ditto for the clear stamps, and ditto for foam stamps, punches that worked the first five times and never cut cleanly again, but I LOVE the brass plates and pastes once I learned to spread the paste thin and fast. Takes practice, but oh what unique beauty! Well worth the angst until perfection happens fast EVERY time. The paste spreader sold by Dreamweaver is a must for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #170  
Rubber Obsessor

I fall into the same category with the paper stacks and decorative scissors. I scrapbook as well, so I keep thinking I'll still find a use for them. Although, my nieces love to come over and craft with Aunt Kimmie. I have so much stuff they can use. How about the Scrapbook day calendars with the daily patterned paper you tear off each day to use on your pages...umm, like never.

My biggest waste of expense is on the items to organize my craft room. I buy every little weird box, bin, desktop accessory, Rubbermaid drawer system I can find and never use it or realize it takes up too much precious counter space. I am organizer junkie posing as a crafter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #171  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnKimView Post
... I am organizer junkie posing as a crafter!

Ooooh, I think I found my Soul Sista! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a crafting friend who, like the rest of us, has lots of stuff that she just had to have right then and there and, cannot for the life of her, remember why she had to have it. So one afternoon, she and I had a 'white elephant' swap - yep, we swapped all kinds of things. I had every color of eyelet under the sun, strange paper, enough embossing powder to cover the space shuttle. So, we swapped boxes of stuff and surprisingly enough, we both ended up with things that we use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #173  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Gel pens. I've given up on them. Even the Sakura, which many recommended, are not working. I have a whole drawer filled with them, and I bet only 20% work.
I seldom use them, but the white gel pen is really necessary for me, and I love it when it is new! I was shocked to read on Levenger online that gel ink pens or refills should only be expected to tlat 6 weeks after use begins! I can't use a gel pen that fast! Granted mine have lasted longer than that, but not as long as other kinds of pens! I have gobs and gobs of them, too, all the different Sakura types! I had read that Sakura makes a white opaque ink in an ink bottle that you can dip a nib pen in and use, but now I can't find it anywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #174  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Sakura pen that is at least a couple years old and it still works great! Much to my surprise. I had to throw out the American Craft gel pens, but the Sakura is still beautiful! I just got a white gel yesterday and was a bit nervous when it didn't work at first, but once the ink started flowing, it's gorgeous.

I'll check my art store to see if I can find a bottle of ink and let you know.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #175  
Insane Embellisher

for all you circle cutter disappointees .....

Buy yourself a piece of GLASS from the glass store, about 13" x 13" and you'll fall in love with your circle cutters!

I got a scrap of glass, had them take the sharpness off the edges and I could NOT believe how well the circle and oval cutters worked on GLASS.

Scraps of glass are the cheap way to go, but you can buy glass cutting mats, starting at 19.95! I paid 2 bucks for the glass and them finishing the edges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #176  
Rubber Obsessor

I totally agree with using a glass mat with the circle cutter. I think the glass mats you buy in the craft stores are tempered so if they break, the pieces are safer and won't cut you. I also like the lines marked on the craft store mats as I can line things up when I'm cutting. With a 40% off coupon, I think it might be a safer way to go, if you have the extra few dollars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #177  
Glitter Guru

Another vote for cutting on a glass mat (I used a 40% coupon and got the large EK mat). I even use my glass mat with my X-acto knife. I never use my self-healing mat at all. Well, that's not true; I use it under my sewing machine so I don't get marks on my table!

I have an X-acto knife with a swivel tip and can cut very intricate designs using it on a glass mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #178  
Rubber Obsessor

Question

Silly question time - Does using a glass mat dull the blades more quickly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #179  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtsGoalieMomView Post
Silly question time - Does using a glass mat dull the blades more quickly?
My understanding is that it will keep your blades sharper, longer. Of course, that's only my understanding... I could very well be wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #180  
Glitter Guru

I haven't noticed that I'm going through blades more frequently. Even if I was, I'd stick with my glass mat. Everything works better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #181  
Rubber Obsessor

To sort of stick to the topic of this thread - I'd say that I'm not very happy with some cutting mats that I've used: they are difficult to keep clean and they warp.

So thanks asuncionshija and TheOtherMeg - a glass cutting mat sounds like a good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #182  
Matboard Maniac

one year I bought a huge pack of chipboard at M's on the day after Thanksgiving. I probably used it once and it had about a million pieces. I couldn't give the stuff away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #183  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I have to say thank you, ladies. After reading this thread, I have had many laughs!

I will add my two cents, much to my embarrassment........I read many a time that people regretted the purchase of the Fastenator. After about ten posts, I thought what is this Fastenator?! I had to Google it. Oh my word....I HAVE ONE!!!! I did not know! I bought it last year on a clearance rack for $5. Still in the package. Never opened. Moved it around just last week, to get to something else. Does this mean I need to try it out - or just chuck it?! Holy night.

My mom purchased a slew of the decorative scissors for me as a gift. Just fished them out of the bottom of the drawer this past week. Heck, half of them I cannot open with one hand, let alone cut paper. Oh my. Let's not go into how I cannot seem to cut straight with any of them.

The annual neighborhood garage sale is next month. Maybe I should get busy on going through stuff to sell. Then again, is it bad, that I always have the best intentions on having a garage sale (it is every year) and the very thought of dickering over .25 with someone makes me just want to sleep in? Yep, going to do what I do each year now that I write that......load it in the car and take it to donate.....oh yeah, and sleep in on garage sale day!

Thanks again, for the laughs! Good thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #184  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I'd have to say my score it. My cards always come out a tad off, and it drive me nuts. Another thing is my Bind-It -All, I hardly ever use it.
oh no! I wish I had a bind it all!!

ok.. anyone that says that have too much chipboard or buttons.. is CRAZY!! ok.. not really.. but I could never have enough of that stuff!

I agree on paper packs.. I always buy them because I get ideas for a couple sheets.. and never know how to use the rest! :( What a waste!

I guess the good thing is I have only been stamping a year so I don't have much, and I don't regret buying anything except for all those paper packs. I could have bought ribbon and stuff that I need and am running out of!

I guess in this in industry.. we will always feel we NEED something.. but really we are getting conned(sp?) by the companies! Someone put a stop to them! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #185  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyNurseView Post
for me it is the Cricut machine. Granted it has only cut 3 sheets of paper, so I haven't really given it a chance, but I could kick my own butt for buying that thing.
I am in the very same place with that one! I am always trying to think of a way to get rid of it that would make me feel better for buying it. I thought about donating it to a school or church.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #186  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My "Why in the heck . . . " list includes, the CornerCopia, too many punches, WA-A-AY too many stickers and die cuts, the Blade Runner (never did get it to work right) . . . oh, the list goes on. Fortunately, my four nieces are having a ball with the die cuts and will be receiving a pile of stickers when I get around to hoeing them out! The CornerCopia and Blade Runner were either garage saled or donated. I think I got rid of 2/3 of my decorative scissors (still use the remaining 1/3 occasionally). I'm afraid,tho', of what lurks at the bottom of drawers, back of shelves, in miscellaneous bins and boxes :0
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #187  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post
I am in the very same place with that one! I am always trying to think of a way to get rid of it that would make me feel better for buying it. I thought about donating it to a school or church.

Bonnie
A church that has a card ministry would probably love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #188  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmm...I regret buying a lot of stuff from a company I worked for just because I worked for them. I have stamps and papers I was never 100% thrilled with just so I had them to show customers. Not a mistake to make again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #189  
Kookie Creator

Bought a Sizzix box to organize medium long sizzlits, too restrictive. If these dies had pictures already drawn on them (like the Cuttlebug dies) I would love this organizing.

There is no room to really place the pciture with these Sizzix dies. Any suggestions to work with this Sizzix box is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #190  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorbetView Post
Bought a Sizzix box to organize medium long sizzlits, too restrictive. If these dies had pictures already drawn on them (like the Cuttlebug dies) I would love this organizing.

There is no room to really place the pciture with these Sizzix dies. Any suggestions to work with this Sizzix box is much appreciated.
I don't if this would help or not, but I photocopied a pic of the pic on the packaging and glued that to the die. I'm not sure why they don't include a pic of the die on the backs of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #191  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I have thought of that as well but Sizzix recommends not to do that while cutting since it adds thickness and may not die cut well. I would hate to have to tape and untape the pics from the dies each time I want to use them.

Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #192  
Insane Embellisher

I will send my lighbox or Fiskars scrapboss embossing thingy (with many extras!) to anyone who will paypal me a couple bucks for shipping.

Also, in regards to glass mats, the one I have I got for a couple bucks at a home decorating store (like Bed, bath, and beyond or something) and was for putting on top of those cheap tables that people use for end tables. KWIM? Anyway, really cheap and I actually did like the curvy cutter ovals and circles after using a glass mat.

Then again, I like the Tearing Edge for when I need to tear and I didn't leave enough room also, so what do I know?
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #193  
Cardstock Collector

I have been enjoying this thread so much. I think I have one of most of the things posted. I got a kick out the idea of making cards or LOs using items posted here. I did skip the Fastenator by some dumb luck.
I have way too many stickers to count I still I wonder what was I thinking when I buy more. From the beginning posts here about the stacks being dusted with crack, wow what a concept, it would explain so many of my WTH was I thinking items. LOL.
Thanks for laughs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #194  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Magic Mesh

A few years ago, Magic Mesh was all the rage. It's this plastic mesh with adhesive on it.

With three cats, you can imagine what anything I made looked like. Fur.

I gave mine away and don't miss it at all.

Cyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #195  
Cardstock Collector

Hey Sorbet, What about the dividers that come in regular photo storage boxes? have a bunch that I have never used. What if you put the pictures on the dividers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #196  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm brand new to this and now . . . . . . .

I'm too embarrassed to tell you what I just ordered last week!! But, I've been making jewelry for many years, so when any of you decide to jump ship, I've got some deals for you. However, I can certainly relate to the organizers. I'm totally addicted to anything with compartments, lids, drawers, etc.
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #197  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a suggestion for you all about the paper packs you regret buying. If they are packs that have multiples of each sheet, separate them into coordinating groups and sell them at a garage sale (like 5 sheets for $1). Or, do what a friend and I do and split the pkg. She usually buys one we like, I buy another we like and we split it in half.

There's not really a lot that I've bought that I regret buying. I just don't have enough hours in the day to play with all I've bought. I end up having to purge just to make room for the new stuff, LOL. Now if only that were the case with my closet....I outgrow the things instead of just purging to make room for new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #198  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't like the MM tag maker, but I use my Big Shot to flaten the rims. Works great!

regrets;

Fascenator
BG notch tool
Fiskars embossing thingie
Fiskars circle cutter
Around the Block paper tagger (but it's so dang cute! :mrgreen
MM instant setter
most stickers
spools of wire
gel pens
tape writer (forget who makes it)
glue pens except for Sakura Quikie glue

could go on and on.........

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #199  
Glitter Queen

Angelina fibers. Saw them demoed at the big rubber stamp show in Mesa. You put them over a stamp, cover w parchment and iron. The color I picked was "blaze." It is so ugly--just looks like hair. What was I thinking?? Who wants it. Let me know
Also, some stencils sold in a set with a revolving blade. Saw the video and it looked so easy. That was before the nesties! Would love to get rid of it.
I love my paper stack by Basic Gray. I also picked one up at Wallyworld w cute young coordinating prints. Will use those.
Love stick on dots too--use them more than brads. Happy stampin--MaryJo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #200  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
This thread is like my entire crafting life flashing before my eyes. I have shelves of things I don't use but every now and then I pull out a "reject" and have fun with it. One thing that has never been out of the box after about 5 years is a punch gadget called Corner Copia, to line up any punch as a corner punch. hmmm
Mary Beth
Amen to the "flashing before my eyes". If I listed all the stuff I had to buy and buy lots of I'd be on all night. I do have the Corner Copia and love it. I actually have two of them from different companies and they taylor fit all of my punches - yikes don't get me going on ALL the punches I just had to have because they are so cute. I think punches are painted with "crack"! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes