Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re Nestabilities ...

Do you stamp and then cut, or do you cut and then stamp ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Default Cut and then stamp for me

I bought the scalloped ovals and made some signature stickers I can put on the backs of my cards. I stamped first (It's a stamp of my name), heat embossed it and then positioned the paper with one of the smaller dies. If you place the paper on the cutting side and the die cutting side down you can position the die pretty well. I put them through my Sidekick with a singled adapter and it worked great. Cutting and then centering the stamp and embossing a small piece depends on way more dexerity than I personally possess.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was wondering about this, too. I'm still on the fence of getting the Nestabilities or some more Marvy Punches. I don't like how much space the punches take up. Nestabilities definitely have an edge there. However, I have quite a few punches and like just grabbing a punch and cutting my image. It seems like the Nestabilities require more "lining up" before processing it in the machine. I would be using it with my trusty Cuttlebug. Do you need two sided tape to hold the Nestabilities die in place if you have pre-stamped it?

Thanks.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

This is one of those things that is your own preference. I know some that stamp first and because you the dies have openings and you can see through them. They line up the dies with their image. (hint - use a piece of repositionable tape to secure the paper to the die so it doesn't shift) And I also know some that will cut first and then stamp.

Either way will work and it's what ever you are comfortable with.

Sorry, no real help from my corner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Default Magnetic help

I seem to remember reading somewhere about using thin magnet sheets to hold the Spellbinders dies in place. I think they were referring to the stuff you can get that will go through an inkjet printer. It would have to go under the flat side of the die, though, so I don't know how much help it would be for positioning on something that is already stamped.

I also have some of the Marvy punches and love just grabbing the punch and popping it out. But you can't beat the storage of the Nestabilities. I put my whole scalloped oval set in one CD case adhered to a piece of the above mentioned magnet sheet. Keeps them from shifting around.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #6  

You both have been a tremendous help. I figured some repositionable tape might be in order if you cut with Nestabilities after stamping.

Do you absolutely prefer Nestabilities over punches or do you feel that both have their benefits?

Maybe I'm resisting because of the cost of the Nestabilities and knowing that I already spent quite a bit on the punches. Honestly, I do like to line up the images in the Marvy Uchida punches and cut. Seems so much simpler. But I can't emboss, etc. Then there's the storage thing, of course. It's not a big deal for me since I found a nice spot to store them.

I'm still contemplating.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I've done both but I prefer to cut the dies first and then stamp. It's less headache and I don't have to worry about taping the die in place. When I have needed to cut out something that's already stamped or been printed on the computer I put the die where I want it and then carefully flip it over and put it on my cuttlebug plate. Most of the time everything stays where it needs to be and I don't need to tape it. Most of the time......

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default Oooo making me choose

Actually both have their place. I had the punches first and loved them but if I wanted to mat one size on another, the mat was larger than I wanted. I have both sets of the Nestabilities scalloped ovals and I can do a 1/8 inch mat if I want to. However, the dies take more work and set up. In the end the dies are more versatile but not as convenient. The punches are more convenient but take more storage and can be more limited. I'm kind of glad I have both.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petal PusherView Post
You both have been a tremendous help. I figured some repositionable tape might be in order if you cut with Nestabilities after stamping.

Do you absolutely prefer Nestabilities over punches or do you feel that both have their benefits?

Maybe I'm resisting because of the cost of the Nestabilities and knowing that I already spent quite a bit on the punches. Honestly, I do like to line up the images in the Marvy Uchida punches and cut. Seems so much simpler. But I can't emboss, etc. Then there's the storage thing, of course. It's not a big deal for me since I found a nice spot to store them.

I'm still contemplating.

Thanks so much!

I love my Nestabilities. As for the cost. Just think. For the price of 1 set of Nestabilities you are getting 5-7 different sizes. Compare that to buying 5-7 different punches because they only give you 1 size each. Then the fact of storage of 5-7 different sizes is a huge savings factor as well.

Then on top of it all, have you seen those new Paisley's and Hearts that they just came out with. OMG. I MUST GET THEM! The hearts are the best that I have seen. They don't get all funky looking with the small sizes. Check them out if you haven't seen them yet. http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/cat_newest.asp

Like I said, I love my Nestabilities.

Happy Creative Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #10  

Thanks for the link. The Paisley and Hearts are adorable. I appreciate all the advice, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I like to stamp first, then cut. I do just like Kar said, using a piece of repos. tape to get everything lined up just right.

Kar, you enabler, you!!! Love those new shapes - you're right, I must get them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a stamp and then cut person. Although I have a ZipEMate and a BigKick I find myself just using my good old Sizzix as it's straightforward and quick. I will say that one reason I like the Nestabilities is that a lot of my punches are 3-4 years old and a lot of them no longer cut well or at all. And considering what they cost, that is annoying big time. I love the unending combinations.
Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #13  

Margaret you pose a point I hadn't considered regarding Nestabilities vs. punches . . . longevity. Nestabilities would have an edge here. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the nestabilities - just the rectangles and circles. I love them but agree with others that the punches would be nice also as I also like to sometimes stamp then position it in my punch. So hopefully if storage space and $$ permits, I hope to also get the marvy punches someday. The nestabilities are cheapest at cutathome.com. You can sign up for their monthly 40% off VIP coupon. The full set by shape (ie rectangles) cost me $57 and some change with shipping. Can't beat that - and they have great service. If they are backordered you may have to wait a little while - my first order took 5 or 6 weeks, but my latest order for the circles came in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I actually stamp first then lay the die over top with the cutting side down on top of my paper. Then I can see through the window of the die.
I know you are supposed to have the cutting side up but it definitely works better for me this other way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually stamp first, then cut with the Nestabilities. That way, I can center my image within the scallop/borders. In response to the punches vs Nestabilities, I think they both have their places. I have both and I use both. The Nestabilities are great for their versatility and the punches are great because they are fast to use. For cost, I think the Nestabilities are better priced. $25.00 will buy you one set of circles, ie the large scallop...$20.00 buys one giga punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Just curious if anyone knows how large the largest circle is w/the Nestabilities? TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohradiogirlView Post
Just curious if anyone knows how large the largest circle is w/the Nestabilities? TIA.
The diameter is about 3 3/4 inch. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes