Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:06 AM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the insides for a couple of projects already punched, just need make time to stamp the outsides!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2005, 05:03 AM   #82  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!
I've got the insides for a couple of projects already punched, just need make time to stamp the outsides!
Sounds like fun! One of these is on my wish list. I would love to see or hear of more ideas as it would help me justify! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #83  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jodi - sorry I just now saw your post! I think Jenn answered these but here goes:

Do you like them?
I love mine - I have a rollabind system too, and will now use my discs for embellishments with the collage alphabet (stamp alphabet letter, punch out w/circle punch, adhere to disc then fill thin layer with crystal effects...)

Are they easy to use?
I used mine right away and did not have to read the directions! Pretty good for a left-handed blonde...

Any tips/suggestions for users?
Get one!

Where did you get yours?
www.coilconnection.com. Bonnie's prices are higher than www.laminatorwarehouse.com, but Bonnie has the premium colors, and you get free coils with your purchase. I also purchased her Home Pro LR, with the additional corner setter. This gizmo sets the metal corners on my journals (see my gallery for samples).

What size coils did you get? Are they a good size?
I find I am using a lot of 14mm. Bonnie sells tins (click on 'easy eyelets') and they can house a journal with 6mm.

With one length of coils you can get a few projects out of it?
The coils are 12" in length; you can cut them into smaller ones depending on what you need. So if you are doing three 4"x4" journals, you can use one whole 12" coil. I save my scrap coils if they are 3" or longer - you can always create a journal to the size of the scrap coil!

Do you use matboard for the covers or something else?
Matboard and Excel board (usartquest.com) are too thick. I purchased chipboard (acid-free cardboard) from viking.com. Try 'binders board' at www.hollanders.com

Any other tools needed besides the machine and coils?
The Rubi-Coil machine and coils are all that is necessary. I chose to purchase the Home Pro LR from www.coilconnection.com because I love the look of the corners. I do not regret spending the $$.

Any website recommendations?
www.coilconnection.com (Bonnie - in GA)
www.laminatorwarehouse.com (in TX I think)

Anything else we should know about them?
Let's take a three year time frame. Think of the teacher gifts you will make. The journals for your kids to write in. The mother's day, father's day, grandparent's day, quickie recipe book for the new neighbors, a booket to house handmade cards for your grandma, birthday gifts.....

My DD's student teacher is leaving on Friday. My DD's teacher called me, asking if she could pick my brain for a gift from the kids....my solution: cut cardstock to size of journal. Punch sides with rubi. Insert one cut cardstock page into 20 envelopes. Print 20 labels with my DD's name on them. Insert with cut cardstock page. Print labels w/student's names on them. Have DD put one name on each envelope. DD distributes them, parent has child draw/write a cute memory....slaps my DD's name over their child's name - returns to me...THIS TOOK ME 20 MINUTES TO DO....and I had 10 returned within 48 hours - easy on the parents and easy on me...presto - fast and instant gift.

It will take me longer to make the journal covers than it did to prep the 20 envelopes & their contents!

AND FOR THE BIG NEWS:
I am having a mother's day stamp class here at my home this month. Here is a pic of what the ladies are making. I have FILLED BOTH classes (two classes of six ladies each) and have PAID for the machine! Go get one - your friends, teachers, relatives, even DH will thank you! lol!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicoil system ?s-starlitstudio-rubicoil-mothers-day-tin-journal.jpg   Rubicoil system ?s-starlitstudio-rubicoil-mothers-day-journal.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #84  
Mad Swapper

Another MUST HAVE!!!!

Thanks LADIES!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #85  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
Jodi - sorry I just now saw your post!
No reason to be sorry Cindy, I was just naming some of those that I KNEW had it and got plenty of answers

Quote:

I used mine right away and did not have to read the directions! Pretty good for a left-handed blonde...

From one left handed blonde to another, you are right, they are easy enough to use without reading the 1 page instructions. And if anyone is still debating it's easy enough for my right handed blonde 4 year old to use!! She just loves punching the holes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

I want one, too! I am so jealous...but I can't order anything else right now. I am still trying to figure out how to order some new colors! (Let's just say that we owed the IRS this year...)

Mandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #87  
Crimping Master

I do have one question for you current Uber-Rubi-Users: My Rubi is brand new. It cuts just fine, but I have to pull the lever back up, and there is a definite metal-on-metal rubbing sound (like a metallic fart ). Did yours do that? If so, did it stop doing that after a while?

Last edited by StampinPixie; 06-21-2005 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:02 AM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

I bought a Rubicoil several years ago and I really love it. We made a family cookbook one year, and on Thanksgiving we set up an assembly line with everybody punching, coiling, crimping etc., and had 100 cookbooks completely bound in a couple hours.

To answer one of the questions above--my Rubicoil came with the crimper tool, which is just a small set of wire snips for cutting the plastic coil. You don't need any special tool for this. Just cut off the coil about 1/2 inch past the end of the book, and use a pair of needlenose pliers to bend the end of the coil down into the center of the coil.

Also, there seems to be a little confusion about size. You can only put a few pages at a time into the puncher, so to coil-bound a SU catalog for example, just cut off the glued binding and punch the pages about 3-6 pages at a time. Assemble them together with holes lined up and thread the coil through the holes. It can be difficult to start the coil, but once it starts the holes line up and you can thread it much faster. Of course, you choose a coil that is a little wider than your book so it will open easily--there are many sizes available.

If anyone has more questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Cyndie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #89  
Gabfest Goddess

Talking

UGH!!! Why did I NEED to read this thread???? I SO want a Rubi now!!! My DH will die if he ever knew how much I have actually spent because of SCS.

Ok - I think I can swing this. I love the idea of a class, which then pays for the Rubi!!

Off to check out those links....I so need to get more self-control!!!

WOOHOO!! Just ordered my Rubi!!! Can't wait!!

Last edited by stampin3; 04-24-2005 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #90  
Crimping Master

Here is a verticle scrapbook (heritage) made possible by the Rubi I fashioned it after a desk calendar.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #91  
Crimping Master

And a gatefold baby album with the rubi- you can see I didn't crimp the sides before I took this pic. (baby pic was printed on linen)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #92  
Gabfest Goddess

vensung - GREAT rubi ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #93  
Pearl-ExPert

Vensung - all I can say is WOW!!! These are simply astonishing - beautifully done!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 07:17 AM   #94  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I just saw this thread. I love my rubicoil!!! And I have to agree that Heather started it all. Blame her, LOL, or should I say thank her.

So far I only made birthday card organizer (which I already wrote a tutorial for) and two notepads.

I already had a stamp camp were everyone got to make a birthday card organizer. I also bought the corner tool that Cindy talked about and my customers got to use that as well. I wasn't smart enough and rolled some of the rubi cost over to my customers. But they all had fun and loved the end product.

I did make a cover for a notepad out of matboard and punched holes through that. I couldn't line it with cardstock until after, but just the matboard punched through like butter. This will be the participation raffle price for our delayed contest!
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicoil system ?s-gladsome-garden-bliss-blue-notepad.jpg  

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #95  
Mad Swapper

I feel the same way! GOtta have it now!!!

Also, hubby would die if he knew how much $$$$ SCS has made me spend!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #96  
Mad Swapper

All these examples are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #97  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinPixie
I do have one question for you current Uber-Rubi-Users: My Rubi is brand new. It cuts just fine, but I have to pull the lever back up, and there is a definite metal-on-metal rubbing sound (like a metallic fart ). Did yours do that? If so, did it stop doing that after a while?
Didn't see a response, so just asking the above again. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have them replace now. . . or is this normal operation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

Mine kind of makes a creaky noise. Not really metal on metal. I didn't think it was anything to worry about. Hmmmmm..... got me wondering now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyndiestamps
I bought a Rubicoil several years ago and I really love it. We made a family cookbook one year, and on Thanksgiving we set up an assembly line with everybody punching, coiling, crimping etc., and had 100 cookbooks completely bound in a couple hours.

To answer one of the questions above--my Rubicoil came with the crimper tool, which is just a small set of wire snips for cutting the plastic coil. You don't need any special tool for this. Just cut off the coil about 1/2 inch past the end of the book, and use a pair of needlenose pliers to bend the end of the coil down into the center of the coil.

Also, there seems to be a little confusion about size. You can only put a few pages at a time into the puncher, so to coil-bound a SU catalog for example, just cut off the glued binding and punch the pages about 3-6 pages at a time. Assemble them together with holes lined up and thread the coil through the holes. It can be difficult to start the coil, but once it starts the holes line up and you can thread it much faster. Of course, you choose a coil that is a little wider than your book so it will open easily--there are many sizes available.

If anyone has more questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Cyndie
Cyndie, so you're saying I WOULDN'T need the crimping tool? That's $38 I would not need to spend then...

This may just put me over the edge! (as if Vensung1's books hadn't already...)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM   #100  
Crimping Master

YES, YES, YES, I finally caved. Ordered my Rubi and coils yesterday. Can't wait.

I had NO intention of buying this at first, but my Rubi Virus is now cured!

Thanks alot! ;)

Can't wait to start coiling

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/michellenstamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #101  
Crimping Master

Oh, nooooooooooooooo. You're not cured yet. . . not until you have Ms. Rubi in your hot little hands. You will still spend the next several days sweating, and not just because the guy in brown is wearing shorts now. You may find yourself sleep-walking and waking up by the front door with the copy of your Rubi order in your fist, dreaming of journals and mini-journals and recipe books and scrap books and address books and hand-made calendars and. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #102  
Insane Embellisher

Talking

OK, sign me up as another poor woman to succumb to the Rubi-borg. Resistance was FUTILE (as are my attempts at self control!!!). I ordered the Rubi, white coils, clear coils, red coils, navy blue coils, & forest green coils. What have you temptresses done to me? I used to have a strong will, I used to have a back bone (heck, some would even say I had iron cojones!!). Now look at what you've done ... don't you feel ASHAMED of yourselves?!

Yeah you're right, I wouldn't feel bad either! Thanks for the great tip & I can't wait to get mine. Any word on how quickly Filmsource ships?
Thanks,
Barb
(sure to have Rubi dreams tonight!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 PM   #103  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi,

How deep from the edge of the paper does the RubiCoil punch??

IOW, I've designed some pages for a food journal and have allowed 1/4" margin on left side. Will the RubiCoil punch the holes without cutting into my headings/wording on the left side??

This may solve a problem that I've had trying to figure out how to bind the pages into a book without cutting into the wording....

Thanks for your help...

SCS Member #6921
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #104  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

I bought a binding system from everafterarts.com the same guy (Mike) who sells us all the Carl Cutters to demos for a great discount. It is a very reasonable system! I think it cost me about $25. It won't do Huge ones but is quite effecient for things like calendars, small books etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #105  
Crimping Master

drlewis:

Could you possibly make your margin 3/8 inch? If you have a 1/4 inch margin, the holes will be just into the edge of your printing. If you can allow 3/8, you will have just a tiny space between the holes and the words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #106  
Kookie Creator

I, too, have gotten bit by the Rubi Bug and I LOVE IT! My neighbor is coming over next week to make some little scrapbooks for her son's kindergarten class to give to the parents. I'm anxious to see what else we can do with the Rubi!
Member #4716
View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #107  
Crimping Master

Here is a little mini envelope book I made with the Rubi- You just cut your mini envelopes (I use an accucut die) and I like the double sided papers as then you don't have to bother with lining the envelopes made a cover and back and coiled together and embellished. I made this for an online pal who was celebrating the birth of a grandson and filled the pockets with embellishments (in blue of course)

Inside View
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

You constantly amaze me with your creations!! They are just fabulous - I'm going to have to go and find your gallery!!! Thanks for sharing and making me green with envy - I want a RUBI soooo bad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #109  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinPixie
drlewis:

Could you possibly make your margin 3/8 inch? If you have a 1/4 inch margin, the holes will be just into the edge of your printing. If you can allow 3/8, you will have just a tiny space between the holes and the words.
Thanks for the info.... I want to get 2 pages from 1 sheet of 8.5" 11" paper and still have room to list what is eaten... Will need to have the margins 3/8" on l/r sides of the page, for double-sided printing... Using PageMaker to design page.

If I print on both sides of the paper, I should just be able to fold in the middle, use the RubiCoil and bind. Is that correct?? Hoping I won't have to go the extra step of cutting sheet in half.... Recording page overall measurement will actually be 5.5" X 8.5"...

Have never done this before, so if you can see any other way to do this, please let me know....

Want to do these for gifts for co-workers and myself as we continue to try and get the lbs off....

Thank you for your help....

SCS Member #6921
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #110  
Crimping Master

You wouldn't have to cut your pages in half, but I would suggest that you do. Your pages won't lie completely flat if you don't. And part of the point of using a coil binding is having your pages lie flat when you open the book. If you have a Carl cutter, you can do the cutting lickety split!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #111  
Crimping Master

Oh, I think I understand what you mean about folding in half and punching. Depends on which side you punch. If you punch the fold, the pages won't lie flat. If you punch the "open side", a doubled page would, indeed, lie flat.

Sorry if I confused you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 AM   #112  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
I had just about talked myself into buying a comb binding system when I found this thread. Any thoughts on how the spiral binding compares to comb binding? Thickness, price, ease of use, etc.?
Coil is much nicer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #113  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
OK, Rubicoil experts, could you please explain what the crimper tool is and if it's necessary? I see it priced for $38.00....I can't believe I'm even investigating this...please, somebody, tell me why I think I can afford it, lol??? There must be some experienced rationalizers out there that have thought up EXCELLENT reasons why we NEED this??? Besides the "cool new toy" aspect, I mean?
I think it just bends the end of the coil so that the coil cannot work it's way out. Maybe needle-nose pliers would work.....especially if they have a cutter in them, too!

I plan to purchase one of these - for my copy shop (yeah, right - that's just how I'll justify it!!). I do have paying customers who want coil binding and I think I will let the area demos know that I have one, too.....maybe a special price for them. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2005, 09:47 AM   #114  
Crimping Master

If you don't want to buy the crimper tool, you would need two other tools, one to cut and one to crimp. You cannot possibly install a coil binding and then put a pair of needle nose pliers in far enough to make a cut. If you have a good pair of wire cutters, those would work for the cutting.

Having said that, you don't have to pay $38. Mine were $18 or $20 from Laminator Warehouse. They cut the coil and crimp at the same time. Take a look at something you already own that has a coil binding. It has a neat little angle on each end. That's what the crimper does. Personally, I'm glad I own mine, which I ordered at the same time as my Rubi.

I posted a direction sheet that I found on line in one of my earler replies. It is not readily apparent how to use it. Once you've done it a couple of times, it is really easy. You have to flip the booklet over to get the coil in the proper position. You don't crimp both ends from the same side of the booklet. I recommend practicing on a scrap before ruining the perfect lenght of a finished project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #115  
Insane Embellisher

I didn't even know I *needed* this item until today!! Now I have placed an order...I sure hope it gets here soon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #116  
Crimping Master

Great!!! I love spending someone else's money for a change. hahhahahhaha

Last edited by StampinPixie; 04-27-2005 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #117  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rubi vs. Comb Binding

The main difference in the Rubi system verses the Comb binding is that the coil will allow you to fold the book completely in half without damage to your pages or the spine. It will also lay completely flat when open.

I think the coil just looks nicer, too, but that is my own personal opinion.

Rubi arrived on Monday, and I am happily stampin and coiling away in Missouri!

LC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #118  
Insane Embellisher

Y'all have sold me on this. I sent the Rubi links to DH and let him know I'd really like it. Since then I've been dropping hints about Mother's Day being soon.... like every 30 minutes. LOL I'll give him a chance to buy it and if I don't get it on Mom's day I'll order my own. I'd go ahead and order now but it seems foolish to spend so much and buy the only thing I want (for now) when I know he will be trying to think of a gift for me so soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #119  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks alot for all the information on the Rubicoil system. I"m not sure about spending the cash yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie Wohlford
Thanks alot for all the information on the Rubicoil system. I"m not sure about spending the cash yet.
LOL, I'm not sure either, but that didn't stop me...:rolleyes: Pathetic, I know...
Reply With Quote Likes