Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't understand the cutting part. I thought this tool was just used to align the top layer equally distanced from the bottom layer. That's the only way I use it, and I love it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Perfect Layers

I enjoy using the Perfect Layers, but not with an exacto knife. As the Perfect Layers are made with the same material as quilters' rulers, use what quilters use with their rulers - a rotary cutter. They come in a variety of sizes. I use one of the smallest cutter with my Perfect Layers. It has a replaceable rotary (circle) blade that butts up against the "rulers" and you simply push the cutter. It does work better if you stand up and look straight down on your card. Be sure to use the "self-healing" mat with the cutter. Both the cutters and mats can be purchased at JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart.
locoop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

I bought mine years ago when it was on QVC and love it! Its one of the few tools from my early scrapbooking days that I don't regret buying, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

I am in the UK and Joanna Sheen is selling this tool. Just thought I would post although I appreciate this is an old thread I thought it might help someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

I love love love mine! As pp stated, it was the adhering of the layers that I was always mucking up, and this tool solved that problem. If you're matting up an image and are going to use embellishments on the image, wait until after you've used your perfect layers. It gets a little tricky trying to get a good cut with embellishments under the ruler!

Color of Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

If I were to give a list of must-haves to a new paper crafter, Perfect Layers would definitely be on the list.

I always had trouble with layering, even when being very exact at cutting the bottom layer 1/8" or 1/4" bigger. Someone earlier mentioned it wasn't so much cutting the layer correctly as it was placing it correctly, and I suspect she's right, because no matter what I did I could not get my layers to look right. Until I purchased Perfect Layers. Now, I NEVER have that problem. In fact, not only are my cards much cleaner and professional looking, I save a ton of paper wasted in cuts that never looked right.

I just read someone recommend using a rotary cutter and I think I might try that, because it is true my exacto knife sometimes shaves off a tiny slice of the Perfect Layers tool, and I can see it one day causing it to no longer be perfect.

But definitely, if you're thinking about getting this tool, do it! I wish I'd bought one a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

Mine has arrived from Joanna Sheen!! I am going to have a play tomorrow! I can never get matting and layering to look right so I don't do it very often. Hopefully now I can start!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

I have had a play this morning I LOVE THEM!! mine have a metal edge to the rular so i can cut them with my craft knife my cards (i made 2) have even edges and looks 100% better!! I am so pleased with them.

The answer to the original question...Yes you should buy them!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reason I try to stay away from SCS, it costs me money! After reading this thread I broke down and bought Perfect Layers.....and yes, it is wonderful, wonder how I did without it all these years. I used to just eyeball, and my layers were fairly ok, but now? They are almost perfect! (learning curve, and just started using the tool yesterday).

Wish I had bought this years ago. It does take longer then to use a paper trimmer, however the results are so much better the time is well worth the effort when finishing your card (how many times have you had to recut and realign your layers?)

Great tool, a must have for anyone who is particular about how their layers look : ) Especially love the 1/16th cut......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I must be missing something. If I cut a piece of paper, put it on a larger piece and trimmed that larger piece with my trimmer, wouldn't it do the same thing? The only difference is that instead of cutting and placing, you place and cut, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I must be missing something. If I cut a piece of paper, put it on a larger piece and trimmed that larger piece with my trimmer, wouldn't it do the same thing? The only difference is that instead of cutting and placing, you place and cut, right?
It does...and it doesn't. The perfect layers allows you to line up exactly as there is a "lip" that holds the ruler in place, and the size is the same for all of your cuts, ie, if you use a paper trimmer you might be off a bit here or there. I have done most of my cuts up to now the way you described, and no, I did not get perfect layers (am challenged by my trimmer). The perfect layers was a HUGE improvement : ) even if my card stock was crooked, the perfect layers tool evened everything up.

Perfect layers has a fixed size and the lip that you bump up to your paper allows you to cut the same size all around.
Reply With Quote Likes