Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette help!?!

I just got a Silhouette machine on Saturday. Does anyone know the settings for SU cardstock?? This is a really cool toy, but if I can't get it to cut SU, I'll obviously have to return it! TIA

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heavier cardstock will be a problem for any of the cutters like the silouette/wishblade/craftrobo. Its not so much that the cardstock is thick, but that they use so much ink in the paper that makes it stiff. I have had success with Bazzill cardstock in my CraftRobo and alot of that stuff is thicker than SU cardstock, but the fibres seem to cut easier. Also, a big factor is the humidity. High humidity will make the paper fibres swell and make it a little harder to cut the paper.

Having said all that, you could make several passes with your cutter. I have heard on other forums that people do get the machine to cut SU cardstock. You may need to do 3 or 4 passes progressively setting more pressure as you go.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have a Wishblade which is basically the same machine. I use the hot pink blade cap with 2 O rings. I also leave the paper (& cutting mat) exactly where it is in the machine when it's finished cutting and lift the paper a bit to see if it cut all the way through and if it didn't I hit cut again. Sometimes it cuts on the first try and sometimes it doesn't.

When I go to cut, a box pops up that I can change media types (heavy cardstock, medium cardstock, bazzill, etc. )When you go to cut make sure you have selected cardstock heavy weight, and your speed is slow and you thickness is thick.

ADDED: I have never had to make 3 or 4 passes to cut SU cardstock. 2 passes is the most I have had to do. My blade needs replaced right now and I can't cut through SU cardstock at all.

Last edited by annie21211; 03-02-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I have cut SU Cardstock - I put it on 90lb weight and follow the settings. I have never had to repeat my cuts - but maybe it's a new blade.
Reply With Quote Likes