Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sizzix vs Sidekick

Michael's has 50% off all of their Sixxiz products this week and I have finally decided to take the plunge and purchase one of the Sizzlets alphabet sets. My dilemma is "Which machine should I purchase"?

I know that the Sidekick is really all I need for the alphabet set. However I like the idea of using the original Sizzix machine with the converter because it would give me the option of being able to use both types of dies. Can anyone tell me if the quality of the cuts is the same with both types of machines? I like that the Sidekick is lighter and less expensive than the original model. However, I am concerned that the turning the handle on the Sidekick would be harder on my hands that just dropping the level on the original model.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions, but I really would appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Martha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both and I use my Sidekick FAR more often than the big one. The original machine is HEAVY!!! Something like 13 pounds (I think), so if you can lug it around to and from your table, then go for it. I got the Sidekick so I could use it with QK dies too. I can't squeeze the QK handle. The turning handle of the Sidekick turns VERY easily, so I wouldn't worry about that. If there are a ton of the larger dies you like, then I would get the big machine, but if you only want the Sizzlet alphabets, then I would go with the Sidekick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default How do you use the Sidekick with QuicKut Dies

I just bought a Sidekick and am enjoying it a lot, but saw some Quckut Dies I really liked and would like to try them. I decided I didn't want the larger Sizzix machine because I wasn't certain how much I would actually use it.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sizzix now do convertors for the other makes of dies like Quickutz, so you can use them in the large or the Sidekick. One word of warning, my friend borrowed my Snowflake sizzlit die and managed to jam it into the Sidekick. It has now gone back to Ellison in Ireland to discover what the problem was. If it was a fault with the machine she gets a new one, if it was her fault no new machine.
I have the full size Sizzix and the Quickutz handle and I use the Sizzix way more often. My Sizzix lives on a bookshelf and I find it is not a problem to bring it out when I need it. I definitely need some new alphabets though. I only have Bounce, but I want Girls are weird and Fruit Smoothie, maybe Brush Alphabet too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I also have both machines and love them --but if you check out the sizzix website you might see some of the larger dies that are available, there are alot of new ones out that are great for cardmaking and scrapping--so it really depends on how you plan on using it. I just recently got the File folder die, Luggage Tag, library card pocket, designer bookplates, and more tag dies. When I bought my first die storage tower I never thought I would fill it up and now my third tower is almost full. I also have alot of sizzlets and they cut fine with the larger machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

with the sizzix converter in the larger sizzix machine can you use other company's dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I have the large Sizzix machine and would recommend that it be your first machine. That way you have the flexibility of all the die sizes available. If you find you will do a lot of traveling then I would recommend the Sidekick, but that limits the dies you can use to Sizzlets and not the larger dies. But the Sidekick is so much easier to take with you.
Be sure to check out Sizzix's website. The regularly run 40% off sales, and if you spend $125 you also get free shipping. The site also offers a lot of dies that I haven't seen in my local craft store.
Have fun shopping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have both and if you can afford both machines, I'd say go for it. I could never get the thin dies to cut right even with the converter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 263 Likes on 154 Posts

I have both machines. I bought the big one long before the sizzlets came out. I find that I don't use the big machine much unless I am cutting a large die that will not fit in my sidekick. I use my sidekick and all my sizzlets way more than the larger dies now. I also have a quickutz and a zip-e-mate.
I haven't tried the QK adapter with the sidekick yet. Mine just came in today and I haven't had time to try it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

You may want to consider the new "Big Shot" it uses the original dies, sizzlets, embossing dies... it is 40% lighter than the Sizzix machine and 20% wider, it has the "turning handle". I am guessing they will be coming out with larger dies in the future, I am personally hoping for box dies. There is also another machine that cuts all types of dies called "The Wizzard" it has the "lever handle". They are both around $100-130. The big shot was offered on Shop at home TV, last weekend for $99 (I think) and won't be offered till next year. I have seen it on ebay, not sure if it is available retail yet. You can google it and see what comes up, here a couple links I had handy. http://www.scrapjazz.com/reviews/1445
http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse....llbinders.html
Then there is the "Wishblade" cost around $500 but... it will work with any true type font you have on your computer. You do need a computer to use it. When you think about paying anywhere from $60-$150 for EACH sizzlets alphabet set (and once you buy one set you know your going to want more!) plus the cost of the machine... I guess that's life, there is always something bigger and/or better coming out all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampaholic2004
with the sizzix converter in the larger sizzix machine can you use other company's dies?
I know you can use Quickutz. You need the Sizzlet convertor and the a little black convertor that is the size of a Quickutz die.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I use Quickutz dies with the big Sizzix machine with converter and adapter. It works fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 06:34 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Sidekick wins!

I only have the sidekick. I had the same debate as you. Buying both was not an option. I went for the sidekick for a few reasons:

1. it's a lot lighter/more portable so I know I'd use it more (i.e. it's not a pain to "drag it out"
2. The dies are smaller and easier to store (take up less space)
3. The dies are a lot cheaper (consider that you get 4 dies in a package)
4. I mostly make cards so I didn't feel the need for larger dies
5. As the items it cuts are smaller, it's a great way to use scraps

I know there are at least as many reasons for getting the big machine (you can buy a converter and use the small dies too) but I decided I would be more likely to use the sidekick on a daily basis rather than letting the larger machine gather dust in a corner somewhere.

Just my 2 cents! (and I'm Canadian so that's about 1.69 cents US!)

HTH

Kelly Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #14  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

I have both the big machine and the Sidekick...I have the converter for the the big machine and the adaptors to use my Quickutz dies...I love both my machines and use them often...in regards to your question about which machine (or both) cuts the Sizzlit dies better, I think the Sidekick does a much better job...since I got my Sidekick (over a year ago), I rarely use my big machine for the Sizzlits...I think I get a much cleaner cut with the Sidekick...the handle is very easy to turn as someone else mentioned...but I would not give up my big machine because I like the bigger dies...hopefully this gives you some insight...let us know what you decided
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 01:14 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

my mom bought me the full size machine this week. She has the full size and about 7 full towers (I am not kidding!). I never used it alot but that was b/c it was always there, now I am 4 hrs away! I had the Sizzlits converter and 1 set of letters, worked fine on the big machine. We didn't even consider the little one, why? You can do everything on the large machine compared to relativley little on the small machine.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I have the sizzix & a quickutz. I thought about getting a sidekick, but I didn't since I have the larger machine. I really like the large machine. I use it for tags, sizzlets, larger alphabets, etc... I like that I am not stuck only being able to use one size die since they are coming out with better & better ones now. I also like that I can control where the die cuts on the paper a little better. I think I get more out of my paper scraps since I can cut just about every bit of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Oh I forgot to tell you if you are looking for Sizzlets Alphabets you might want to check ebay before you buy them at the stores. You can get some of the alphabets for around $50 which is more than 50% off at the stores.
Reply With Quote Likes