Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Solar Paste, Lunar Paste vs. Cosmic Shimmer Paste

Anyone know how these mediums compare and contrast? Are they both water-based?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

I just looked up a couple of Simon Hurley youtube videos, as your question made me "need" to know. LOL Both Lunar Paste & Solar Paste are Ranger products. The Cosmic Shimmer is not from Ranger.
  • Lunar Paste: Opaque, metallic finish. Some are in colors that match S. Hurley's ink pads. Works nicely on colored card stock. Need to clean it off your tools pretty quickly just as with many other paste stencil applications.
  • Solar Paste: This is not as opaque at all. It's beautiful shimmer in a select set of colors. All colors appeared to be rather whitish when the jars were opened & product was spread onto card stock. But each dries to a gorgeous shimmer in whichever color you're using. All looked beautiful on black card stock and white, plus over inked c/s as well.
  • Cosmic Shimmer: Creator's video just didn't make me want this at all, but mixed media fans will likely appreciate it a lot more. It's very thick, much like the texture of the old flat jars of shoe polish. He applied it with his finger along the edges of a tag, and mentions its 'resist' qualities.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
MargieIsthankful (06-21-2023), pepperann (04-25-2024)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:13 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Sticking with my basic stencil pastes and adding colors/glitter if needed....field has gotten way too crowded with too many products!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by mphb:
Alice in Md (04-24-2024), ChangedbyHim (10-11-2023), gobarb26 (06-23-2023), Scrapjanny (06-21-2023), shirlb19 (07-16-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Sticking with my basic stencil pastes and adding colors/glitter if needed....field has gotten way too crowded with too many products!
Have you tried adding color with mica powder? I bought some and have been too distracted to remember to try it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have not but I'm sure it would work really well! Instant "Solar Paste"....yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Hi, could you please explain what is stencil paste ? Thks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Too hard to describe...just Google it and view a few Youtube videos! There are many variations...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

It is a paste. You use a small spatula/scraper over a stencil and carefully lift it. You get the pattern in a raised way that you let dry. They come in a ton of colors and specialties like glitter. They can also be called mousse which tends to be fluffier but may dry out faster. Or texture paste-might have a gritty feel to it.

There are other ways to use it too over embossed images, just to make a BG, etc. You can mix other products with it like glitter, sprays, ink refills, etc and make your own. There are endless vids on it on You tube.

Here are several vids by Jennifer McGuire on the subject and some compare products

https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/?s=embossing+paste
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
pepperann (06-25-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 08:47 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I would LOVE to own Simon Hurleys products, but I am SLOWLY adding stuff... I did read about how to make your own pastes....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2023, 02:13 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Why SH products? He's a guy barely out of his teens and working for Ranger...so they are really Ranger products with this very young man's name on them. Still haven't figured that one out...maybe he's related to someone at Ranger?
Actually regular embossing paste is probably the best deal...just add mica powders for a different look or colored embossing powder for another! Works extremely well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2023, 03:16 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't believe Simon is related to anyone at Ranger.
Ranger likely grabbed him bc there are not "tons" of men in this market-it very skewed to women- and being young was a huge asset to appeal to young people and get a new generation going. We won't live forever LOL. Do you think your 10-15 yr old kid, esp a boy, wants to watch us do vids or Simon? I would go with Simon. Same way Gina K's daughter has her own line of product.

There are tons of young social media influencers now and believe when I say I have witnessed first hand how big companies pay attention to them if they have enough followers. That generation is all about social media.

I don't think he is the next Tim Holtz but you never know. We need the young people to get into this. There are no beginner classes around me and have not been for a long time now. Shame.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by wavejumper:
ChrisO (07-07-2023), fl_beachbum (07-07-2023), jkaymac (07-06-2023), pepperann (07-18-2023), whim6915 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:26 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I still believe that "there's more to this story" regarding SH. They "plucked" him out of high school & started featuring him for no apparent reason a couple of years ago...no experience and basically just a child. I just don't get it! Nothing against him personally...just no qualifications or connection to our stamping world. As for Gina K and her daughter...at least she was raised in a crafty house with a crafty mom! Didn't know she had her own line...which clearly is a marketing ploy. Of course we need younger people and it's a shame most of our local stamp stores are gone. I so miss mine...it was a really great store with a wonderful little community. Actually took a class from Tim Holtz there in the early 2000's...before he was so uber popular! He was delightful...what you see online is what you get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

I still believe that "there's more to this story" regarding SH. They "plucked" him out of high school & started featuring him for no apparent reason a couple of years ago...no experience and basically just a child. I just don't get it! Nothing against him personally...just no qualifications or connection to our stamping world. As for Gina K and her daughter...at least she was raised in a crafty house with a crafty mom! Didn't know she had her own line...which clearly is a marketing ploy. Of course we need younger people and it's a shame most of our local stamp stores are gone. I so miss mine...it was a really great store with a wonderful little community. Actually took a class from Tim Holtz there in the early 2000's...before he was so uber popular! He was delightful...what you see online is what you get!
Did you know Simon is a Spellbinders designer, too? "Plucked, again!" He actually was picked up by Scrapbook.com to teach online classes a couple of years before he connected with Ranger.
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (07-18-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 09:12 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now there's Brennan's Crafty Corner that has popped up. So now we have Simon and Brennan getting into the game. I haven't heard seen Gina K's daughter so I'll have to look for her.

Back in my day, we used construction paper and Elmer's and we liked it!!! Guess I need to go to the home for old scrapbookers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2023, 10:08 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catscrap216View Post
And now there's Brennan's Crafty Corner that has popped up. So now we have Simon and Brennan getting into the game. I haven't heard seen Gina K's daughter so I'll have to look for her.

Back in my day, we used construction paper and Elmer's and we liked it!!! Guess I need to go to the home for old scrapbookers.
I think Brennan is a pre-teen. Simon and Rina are in their 20s now. I think Rina has her own pursuits now and isn't doing much papercrafting.

I think having young people involved in our craft is a good thing. As a longtime quilter, I enjoyed seeing/reading about non-traditional quilters, i.e., men, young people.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by iamvics:
AussieJenny (07-09-2023), pepperann (07-18-2023), wavejumper (07-15-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:

The "more to the story" is that Simon started crafting when he was 10; discovered alcohol inks and card making when he was 12; contacted several companies to gauge their interest, and was advised to start a YT channel, which he did. He was chosen by Scrapbook.com in 2019 to teach 4 classes, and has now been with Ranger for almost 4 years. He also designs for Spellbinders. He has 327,000 subscribers on his YT channel, he is passionate about his craft, and has worked his tail off to get where he is. He has inspired a whole new generation of crafters/stampers.

I can't imagine this hobby without Tim Holtz. He started out in the fabric department at Ben Franklin's. What if Ranger had never given him a chance? Or Sizzix, or Stampers Anonymous, or Tonic?

There are many "apparent reasons" Simon is making a name for himself in this industry, and I, for one, am thankful that he is.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by uncbballfan:
barbaralynn (04-28-2024), ChrisO (07-15-2023), DianeinSparks (07-16-2023), iamvics (07-14-2023), leibetty (07-18-2023), lesliespringer (04-25-2024), pepperann (07-18-2023), wavejumper (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 12:52 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

I didn't know about Brennen. Looks like a charming young man. I am glad you mentioned him. It is nice to see people have fun with this. Not be jaded yet.

I think Simon's idea for 6 x 6 BG stamps that have sections that pop out is pretty darn clever.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
pepperann (07-18-2023), shirlb19 (07-16-2023)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:39 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon Hurley was featured in Creating Keepsakes when he was 12 or so, I think - not long before the magazine went under. But I remember seeing him in it, and thinking it was pretty amazing that such a young guy was into scrapbooking. And not long after that, he started showing up in other magazines.
Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 05:49 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Gina K. is having a live tomorrow morning at 10am and Simon will be a guest! They're doing a Neon Lunar Paste challenge and Gina will be using her neon inks also.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by pepperann:
lesliespringer (04-25-2024), whim6915 (04-24-2024)