Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin Up Markers

Has anybody had problems with the fine point side of the markers working? I finally splurged and got all the markers and was disappointed to find MOST of the fine points not working. I made sure I stored them all with the point side down and it seems to have helped in most of them, but light colors just do not seem to write at all. A customer just emailed me that she had the same problem, so I decided to post here and see if this has happened to anybody else or if you have some tips. I thought it was just some bad luck or the way I was writing or just a fluke until my customer sent me her email.
Thanks for any comments.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Good morning! I am sorry that you are having problems with your SU Markers. You are actually supposed to store your markers on their side. (Not up and down in a cup) I have mine in some small iris drawers organized by colors. You could also store them in an SU stamp storage clamshell box that you aren't using. Lay them on their side for a day so that the ink inside can evenly distribute again, and they should work better for you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I store mine flat on their side and the same thing happened to me. Thankfully I had only purchased a few. I never could get the small tip to work again. I love SU colors, but am afraid to ever buy their markers again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh Noooooooo! I just purchased the entire set of markers in my first order as a demo so I could get 30% off. I didn't think to try them. I am gonna cry if I spent all that money and they don't work! Even at 30 % off, I think the set was still almost $80!!! I'm getting really disgusted with SU quality issues! If they keep this up, I'll only order stamps from them and go elsewhere to buy everything else. It's very sad.

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to go give mine a try now as I just got them this past week. I know that several of the girls in my Stampers 10 club have had problems with their craft ink spots that they purchased recently and SU quickly replaced them as they realized it within the 90 day time frame. Hopefully I don't have a problem with my markers, I'd be really disappointed after spending that much on them.(I had a problem with my brights before the colour reno, but my earth elements were fine and the classic brights I got on clearance were fine as well).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with their retired brown Journaler marker that I bought in the clearance rack last year. It completely stopped working after about a month and I tossed it. So far, their other markers are working with no problems.
Lately I've been wondering about their quality control too, several punches have had to be recalled and I've read here that their older markers were better. Plus I see more and more of their stuff is made in China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

If it is still in the allotted time ... Tell your demonstrator about it because it should not be happening and they will replace it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your markers. I have two sets that I got nearly 5 years ago and haven't had a problem with any of mine. I always store mine with them horizontal and never upright. If it hasn't been too long since you purchased them, I would contact your demo or SU to ask what you can do about them.
I hope it all gets worked out.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I just called about mine, it was suggested that they haven't had time to acclimatize to my craft room from shipping (only had them for a week), I'll give it another few weeks and try again. I gave all of mine a test run and found a dozen or so that the fine tips are less than satisfactory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had hit and miss issues with the fine points of my SU markers. I store them on their side, so no issue there. It's just some work better than others. Fortunately I don't use the fine point often, but it is a disappointment.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Did they really say that??

Haven't had time to acclimatize? Really? Never heard of such a thing.

I think your problem is as others have stated - need to be stored on their side. I have had my set for about 3-4 years without any problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmelView Post
I just called about mine, it was suggested that they haven't had time to acclimatize to my craft room from shipping (only had them for a week), I'll give it another few weeks and try again. I gave all of mine a test run and found a dozen or so that the fine tips are less than satisfactory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my set for a few years too (I can't remember how long, and when I try it makes me feel old) and only had one that I recently found the fine tip didn't work. Fortunately for me it's no biggie since it was a discontinued color anyway! :-) I would definitely not wait too long before making a stink about it with SU, as you don't want it to be outside of the period where you can return them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmbutlerView Post
Haven't had time to acclimatize? Really? Never heard of such a thing.

I think your problem is as others have stated - need to be stored on their side. I have had my set for about 3-4 years without any problem.
I really don't think this is the problem either, my order was delivered to my house a few minutes before I arrived home, so it was not left outside in the cold for any length of time (the markers didn't even feel cold when I opened the box) and my area of Newfoundland has been warmer than parts of Florida on many days this winter, so I hardly think acclimatization is the problem. I have stored the markers on their side, as I said I've only had them a week or so, but a test run last night revealed that a dozen or so are less than inky in the fine points (i.e. if I make a scribble on a page, their are "scratchy" sections without any scribbling). I am going to give it another week or two before contacting SU again for replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had a couple of mine like that, but never really tested all of them since I don't usually use that side. ( I can count maybe a dozen times in the ten plus years I have been stamping.). If you are having problems, don't wait, just either call your demo or SU and they should take care of it as long as it is within the time frame. I have had really good luck anytime I have had to call if something needs to be fixed or was missing from the order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=Pawz94;17874569! I'm getting really disgusted with SU quality issues! If they keep this up, I'll only order stamps from them and go elsewhere to buy everything else. It's very sad.[/QUOTE]

It is not just a SU problem....I work in retail and I have been amazed by all of the recalls on items or how many times we have to pull the product and hold it until the supplier decides what to do with it. It seems to be happening more and more, and I have seen a huge increase the last three or four years. I remember my Dad telling me he exchanged a movie three times because each copy would get so har and then it was al messed up in the same exact spot, so there was definitely a bad batch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I have always stored mine on the sides and the little tips still did not work.

The other thing I hate is the fuzzy tips that the markers turn into.
I no longer buy SU markers for these issues.
The old style one I have are still working, small tip included and no fuzzy tips

Last edited by luvofstamps; 01-28-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #17  
GMC
Kookie Creator

For the amount of money you paid for BOTH ENDS of those markers, I would make sure you end up with two working ends. I have never heard that art supplies need to be transitioned to their new home...this made me laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes