Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage Solutions--anyone use wicker baskets

for storage of stampin items. I was looking at Michael's and they has such pretty baskets there and thought perhaps they would work for storage for toting to workshops and such or even from room to room.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 09:57 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, I have some baskets that I keep finished cards in, or some projects that I am working on in baskets. I also used to keep small items in them, like punches and gluesticks, etc.
I cant throw out baskets!! I have to save them when given one. lol I have to make use of it or DH will toss it!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Other than cardstock and ink, I put EVERYTHING in baskets. I just like the way it looks. I don't have huge baskets, but rather baskets about 9" long. I put stamp sets in them and all my equipment. However, I am running out of room..........sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I tried the baskets but needed a stackable and dust free solution so I went with the photo storage boxes from Michaels- they had been on sale just about every other week for 2 for $3.. and I make lables for the brass label holders.. I have them neatly scaked in a nice Oak shelf system we built and nothing falls out and no dust.. They hold quite a bit of things like ribbon, markers, puches, tag maker, design runner, sew crafty, embellishments and if you use the plastic needle work dividers from michaels for your brads and such they even hold 2-3 of those to keep them tidy.. They also hold like 10-12 matstacks and those scrap packs as well as my shape boss and templates..I also keep all of my adhesives, coluzzle and spare envelopes and cards as well as my photos and already made cards.. I have about 60 and they make up a huge wall unit.. they work great and are soo affordable.. very sturdy too.. I did see that the last time they were on slae they were 2 for $6 which is not a very good deal..consideringnormally they are $3.99 each.. (I think I drove the supply up and my Michales thought they were flying off the shelves to the customers when they were really going to me.. I like them because similiar to the basket look it is much more decorative than a clear plastic container and my hubby atually doesnt mind looking at them .. A huge bonus..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I too use baskets from Michaels. Here is a link to my little gallery page that has pictures and descriptions of how I use them. Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep all my crafting stuff in a unit from Ikea, which is 4 holes wide by 4 holes high and in Ikea they do square baskets that fit exactly inside my unit. I have four of them and they are great for storing things I don't use very often.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I use my baskets to keep my SU! paperwork.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlasak
I tried the baskets but needed a stackable and dust free solution so I went with the photo storage boxes from Michaels- they had been on sale just about every other week for 2 for $3.. and I make lables for the brass label holders.. I have them neatly scaked in a nice Oak shelf system we built and nothing falls out and no dust.. They hold quite a bit of things like ribbon, markers, puches, tag maker, design runner, sew crafty, embellishments and if you use the plastic needle work dividers from michaels for your brads and such they even hold 2-3 of those to keep them tidy.. They also hold like 10-12 matstacks and those scrap packs as well as my shape boss and templates..I also keep all of my adhesives, coluzzle and spare envelopes and cards as well as my photos and already made cards.. I have about 60 and they make up a huge wall unit.. they work great and are soo affordable.. very sturdy too.. I did see that the last time they were on slae they were 2 for $6 which is not a very good deal..consideringnormally they are $3.99 each.. (I think I drove the supply up and my Michales thought they were flying off the shelves to the customers when they were really going to me.. I like them because similiar to the basket look it is much more decorative than a clear plastic container and my hubby atually doesnt mind looking at them .. A huge bonus..
Thank you for your wonderful ideas, I really appreciate all your thoughts.
I will for sure be doing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
I keep all my crafting stuff in a unit from Ikea, which is 4 holes wide by 4 holes high and in Ikea they do square baskets that fit exactly inside my unit. I have four of them and they are great for storing things I don't use very often.
Oh, wow, I love how your space is organzied with those baskets, great ideas.
Thank you so much for sharing! This will be helpful to me as I begin to organize all my things.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

i have 2 baskets that i keep my "single" stamps in. ya know those ones you pick up at hobby lobby or michaels that ya just gotta have then get them home and can't figure out what other stamps to put them with and how you are going to put an actual card together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty
for storage of stampin items. I was looking at Michael's and they has such pretty baskets there and thought perhaps they would work for storage for toting to workshops and such or even from room to room.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much
Here's my 2 cents worth on baskets --- I LOVE baskets, and use them for many things in my stamp room. However, one thing I discovered early on was that rattan baskets (which is the kind I believe you are talking about) take up a lot of room on shelves and if they aren't lined with fabic, things can get caught up in the weave of the basket....for example, corners of cards get little bends and such.

The other thing about baskets is that most don't have lids and after a while dust DOES become an issue....and something that didn't occur to me because there is no top, light can filter all the way through the stuff you have in the basket. I had a nice open basket with completed cards stored neatly under a shelf, out of direct sunlight (and I thought totally out of overhead light). Much to my dismay, all the folded edges that were "up" in the box faded out and I had to cut the card fronts and totally remake the cards!:???: Since then all my completed cards that haven't been mailed are stored in photoboxes (VCR tape boxes) with lids...live and learn!

So I guess what I'm saying is that baskets have a place in the stamping room but is best not to let the "decorator" side of yourself rule the "good sense" side of yourself....just because something looks pretty doesn't mean that it fits the function or will protect your valuable supplies...just a thought from someone who has been there, done that and has several tee shirts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

I use a large square basket from Ikea to stash bulky items in so they don't clutter up my desktop when I'm not workong on cards. I usually keep my Carl cutter and two 12x12 accordian files in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Someone here posted a link to Lakeside for some clear boxes, like the SU one, but very inexpensive. http://www.lakeside.com/details.asp?...CAT=2&KWD=&ST=
I just ordered 3 sets. Also I use plastic tubs, buckets, baskets and stackable trays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awaren6
Someone here posted a link to Lakeside for some clear boxes, like the SU one, but very inexpensive. http://www.lakeside.com/details.asp?...CAT=2&KWD=&ST=
I just ordered 3 sets. Also I use plastic tubs, buckets, baskets and stackable trays.
Wow! The prices quoted for these boxes is half what I've seen other places (I have been wanting the document sized boxes and the best price I had seen on them was 5 for $12.95.) Please let us know if you are satisifed with the service and the quality of the boxes -- I'll be watching this thread for an update!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I see that the larger photo storage boxes are on slae this week at Michaels for $1.99 each.. they are large enough to hold all of my accessories.. and stamps sets..
Reply With Quote Likes