Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:04 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which supplies are better from SU?

I'm fairly new to stamping and just hosted a party. I am planning to make baby announcements so I have chosen some paper and ink for those. I am trying to decide what else I would like, but I'm at a lack for which supplies are really better from SU versus what I can just as easily purchase on sale or with a coupon from my local Michael's.

I know for instance that I can buy Versamark and Stazon from my local store. I wanted a few things like a brayer and powder pals, but they are expensive at SU and I would rather spend the money on paper and ink. It seems that I could get equivalent products from my local craft stores.

Is there any list posted somewhere on which supplies are really better from SU?

Becky
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

First of all, I am not a demo. I generally just stick to SU stamps, paper and ink pads. Most everything else I buy with a coupon at the craft store. I just bought a brayer (that looks remarkably like the SU one) at Mike's the other day with a 50% off coupon for like $5.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:09 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yup, I *am* a demo, and I adore the stamps, paper, and inks. Oh, and the grosgrain ribbon. You can't beat the quality and price per yard. But I am very content to buy other accessories other places, especially with a coupon. It's when color coordination is an issue that I stick 100% with SU. I just get too frustrated when I can't match papers to inks to embellishments. Some things--like the oval punches--are exclusive to SU. Others, like the brayer, are not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile SU INKPADS HANDS DOWN

I have tried different brands, and the SU inkpads are the best. I have ordered some of their ribbon, but get it from several places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I've found that most of the tool type items- brayer, heat gun, lightbox, etc. are not exclusive to SU. I dont know of a list, are you wondering about anything in particular?
The SU cardstock is nice and thick, and the inks coordinate nicely with the papers. Some of the punches I've not been able to find any other place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love using the reinkers to SU's white or cream colored ribbons... saves money and matches cardstock... the heat gun is wonderful as is the light box... also the heat embossing powders are the best... perl ex with watercolor wonder crayons also is pretty... Since I am a demo, I prefer to stick with Stampin' Up! I have tried *other* products and wished I would of simply bought from Stampin' Up! due to the lack of quality of *other* products... also I cannot demo non-stampin' up!
Blog: Stampaloooza Paper Art Studios
Style: http://www.cafepress.com/stampaloooza
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I agree that paper, ink, stamps and grosgrain are superior. I have noticed a difference in EP also. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

The ribbon is a super value. Hard to find that amount of ribbon for the price. They give you so much, I usually split it with my friend.

Stamps are an unbelievable value. All the inks, markers, paper. Alot of the tools, you can get elsewhere for cheaper if you use a coupon.

Happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought some white embossing powder from Michaels and did not like it. It did not melt smoothly and left a lot of un-embossed spots. I only bought the regular EP and not the detail EP. Maybe the detail EP would have melted better, anyways, the SU EP is much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLOR
I have tried different brands, and the SU inkpads are the best. I have ordered some of their ribbon, but get it from several places.
I have a lot of SU pads and they work great I like how they coordinate with the papers. But, I prefer Palette inkpads. The lid snaps onto the back, and they are easy to hold in your hand. I also find they have more "give" than SU pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

I got the Tonic paper cutter, which is like the SU desktop cutter from Joann.com on sale and with free shipping. I got my crimper (Fiskars, but looks like SU's) at Mike's with a coupon. I have had a light table from ages ago and a heat gun from a while ago as well. I would stick with SU for stamps, ink, paper and other items you want/need a color match and look elsewhere for other items/tools and use a coupon when you can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo, I'm supposed to tell you that SU! products are superior to anything you can buy at Michael's or ACMoore or HobbyLobby. However, some of their accessories (embossing gun, embossing buddy, embossing tray, versamark, stazon) can be purchased at the craft store. And generally, that's where I'll buy them when I need them. Especially if I have a coupon.

BUT: SU! cardstock is the best I've used, same with their inks and paper. And their ribbon is by far the best amount for the money. And their stamps are the ones I always reach for (and I've got a lot of non-SU! stamps) when I'm doing my stamping. The quality is great!
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

I love SU's stamps and papers, but if you're going to be punching anything out, SU paper is TOO good. I have to stand on the punch (the big ones) or get my sweetie to punch it for me. I love SU's organdy and grosgrain ribbons, especially how much you get, but I get ribbon everywhere. The trick for me is to quit hoarding it!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default scrub and cleaner

There are many ways to clean stamps (babywipes, etc), and many formulas to replace the mist, but the Stampin' Scrub is better for longevity and cleanability than what's in the big box. I have a big box scrub with only one side that I use for Stazon and to let the kids use when not under my direct supervison, and it warped when I tried the top rack of dishwasher, and the SU one doesn't.

I buy the SU mist even if it isn't the cheapest solution, just because it is convenient.

Not a demo, (even more a collector than a stamper :rolleyes: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I think SU may have limited agreements with EK Success on the punches. You can now buy the circle & square punches at your LSS. The oval & tag punches are still exclusive to SU. I have no trouble punching through the SU paper with the punches. The paper snips are of course Cutter Bee (a division or sub or EK Success) and I bought the Cutter Bees long before SU carried them.
I have limited availability for some products where I live and the only brayers I can find are the cheap metal handle ones. So, I just recently order another brayer from SU (I believe it is made by Speedball). I use my brayer so often that I need 2.
The SU ink pads are relatively cheap as are the reinkers. And they seem to last for a really long time. The matching paper is an excellent choice for beginners to advanced. I happen to love Bazzill cardstock but find it to be a lighter weight than SU so I always layer it to a sturdy cardstock. But, because the Bazzill is lighter weight it is so much better for covering paint cans and has that wonderful textured surface.
The SU grosgrain is a real bargain and I love it. I am not too fond of the gingham ribbon and only use the black/white one. There is something in the gingham ribbon that seems to cause it to stretch, so when have it nicely tied it can stretch out later. I have found good quality organdy ribbon at my LSS that is cheaper than SU however I can't find the same color selection that SU has. I really love organdy ribbon and especially the 5/8" width that SU does not carry.
I have the older style SU embossing gun and that is a great product. I think you can buy it at a LSS. It is far superior to my original gun that looked more like a travel hair dryer.
To sum up my rambling here is what SU does -- it accomodates all stampers by carrying these accessories so that anyone can one-stop shop through a demo. This is a wonderful thing for those who do not have ready access to the large stamping/scrapbooking stores. You don't have to go driving all over town to find products in order to complete a project (gasoline here is $3/gal). So it is really an accomodation that SU has chosen top products/accessories to include in the catalog.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

i will agree about the basics like card stock and ink and ribbon. you can get tools elsewhere. but my best advise is the stampin' scrub! it is the best by far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default Which supplies are better from SU?

I do have a stampin up scrub. One of my early purchases, although I have to work a long time to clean stazon off of my stamps.

The 3 main items I was looking at were a brayer, the powder pals trays, and aqua pens. The trays in particular seem very pricey at ~$20. That would buy a lot of paper/ink or another set of wondercolor crayons, which I would much rather spend the money on!

I think the brayer is the same exact brand at the craft stores so that may be an easy one. And I really can't think there is much in an embossing tray that would make a difference. I am glad to see the opinions on EP because I got some at Michaels and wasn't thrilled with it. One of my friends also said she liked the EP from SU much better.

Anyone have an opinion on the aqua pens?

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried both the Niji ones and the SU ones and they are VERY similar! Personally I have the Niji one, I couldn't justify spending the $20. Do NOT buy the 3 pack with the red, green and blue ones, Those are terrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #19  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 628 Likes on 441 Posts
Default trays

I have embossing trays I bought at Joann's for much less $$, they are fine. I finally bought 2, one I have marked for clear powder only. I do not have a brayer so I can't help there. Also I use a blender pen so I can't help with that either. I try not to spend too much, but I do buy paper, ink and stamps from SU. I have a roll of mellow moss ribbon that I just cannot use up! I just ordered some white too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Like many have said, Ink definitely comes from SU! Stamps generally do, but I dabble in several Companies, and the paper and cardstock I love also, although I do buy Bazzill cardstock and other designer papers at times! But, the accessories, most of the time I don't even bother with SU for them, I just buy them at my LSS or craft store on sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

i also got my tray at joann's with coupon for much less. don't really know anything about aqua pens, but a brayer is on my list because i have started to buy some background stamps and that is the best way to get full coverage of ink on the big stamps. hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I vote for color brads and eyelets. All the tools can be found pretty much anywhere else.

Just go for anything that is an Stampin Up color and you can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

my advice would be to skip the embossing tray altogether and use a coffee filter. or dump the powder into a Tupperware-type dish and use a spoon to put it on your project right in the container. A dryer sheet can be used as a substitution for an embossing buddy.
on the aqua brush- I have watercolored the old fashioned way (brush and jar of water) using ink from pressing the pad against the lid. If you know you want a waterbrush, read up for more comments. I know you'll want something that you squeeze to get the amount of water you want to get out, and not just one that free flows. (?) others can probably give better info than me, as I dont have one.
the SU brayer is made by speedball- I purchased mine at a craft store. Use the money you save to buy more stamps, paper and inks or crayons. It's nice that SU can offer lots of different products for this craft, as not everyone has easy access to the bigger craft stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Paper and inks can NOT be beat they are worth the extra little they cost! Markers are pricy but they are AMAZING!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Definitely the ink pads, paper, and the markers. I love them because it's easy to coordinate everything. The stamp sets are a good value too, when you compare them to buying individually at a store. I have purchased a lot of accessories (heat gun, embossing powder, ribbon) at other places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both the Marvy heat tool from Mike's and the SU! version, and I absolutely HATE using the Marvy for any kind of large-scale project such as swaps or holiday cards. The SU! one heats up better and IMO melts the embossing powder more evenly for a smoother result. My Marvy is going on the 'Bay first chance I get!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

The scissors for cutting your stamp sets. I swear by it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I have both the Marvy heat tool from Mike's and the SU! version, and I absolutely HATE using the Marvy for any kind of large-scale project such as swaps or holiday cards. The SU! one heats up better and IMO melts the embossing powder more evenly for a smoother result. My Marvy is going on the 'Bay first chance I get!
Ditto this - although I am very cheap so i keep wishing my heat gun will just up and die so I can buy the SU one...
as for the Brayer and Powder pals you can get them cheaper elsewhere...in fact as for the Powder Pals if you look in the bead section you should be able to find small rectangle bead things that have a hole on the end - Target had these in there $1 section about a year or so ago and I grabbed 3 - I keep them in a small box but I have one for black, one for silver and one for iridescent Ice EP so that way I don't have to clean them out all the time (those are the 3 EP I use ALOT)
SU EP is by far the one of the best - I have some from my pre-SU days from Micheals and I hate it - it just sits in a box unloved and unused...
Punches - other then the circle, square and corner rounder you aren't going to find the others in any local stores - while they are manufactured by EKSuccess the design is exclusive to SU
Stamp and Scrub - WORTH the investment!!!
Craft and Rubber Scissors - they are made by Kai (I am pretty sure) but the price is equivilant to what you would spend if you went to a store (as far as I know places like Mikes don't carry them - I could be wrong)
Blender Pens - I have tried other brands (using my % off coupons) and I like SU's better
Ribbon - is a great deal for the amount you get - I love the feel of the organdy ribbon - very soft - not stiff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhyrkas
dump the powder into a Tupperware-type dish and use a spoon to put it on your project right in the container.
I second this. This is the way I use all my embossing powders and glitter. It works. The powder pals are hard to get clean completely and the powder gets stuck on it so you end up wasting some of it each time you use it. Even my demo no longer will use hers. I use the ziplock square sandwich containers. I just dump the powder in and leave a plastic spoon in there. They have a wide enough mouth that when making cards, I just tap the excess powder off right back into the container.

As for the aqua painters, here is a thread I started long ago that will give you some idea of what the differences are. I went with the Niji ones and have been happy with them.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

HTH.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
Ditto this - although I am very cheap so i keep wishing my heat gun will just up and die so I can buy the SU one...
I found a great solution for this! I left my heat tool plugged in and set on the counter above the tile floor.... the kids walked by and knocked it off enough times that it needed replacing!

lol
My SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

The albums are pricey but I like them much better than anything I have found at my local craft store, and the page protectors are the best. I am sure there are some great albums that you can get online, I just like to look and feel before I buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

SU BG stamps are the BEST! Also love their confetti paper and envies!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I love SU paper with the exception of the black and red (I buy at Paper Zone because they are richer colors) and the white (GP at Walmart is perfect for me). I use all the ink, but I buy my own blank inkpads since I hate the sagging pads. I buy my tools like heat gun from Milwaulkee and brayers at Joann. I buy punches that are exclusive to SU but the others are carried at the LSS for $3 each cheaper and no shipping. I use foam mounting tape instead of pop dots. I buy SU stamps, but I also buy other brands. I prefer the JoAnn and Walmart gingham ribbon. I buy my Signo white pens from www.jetpens.com. I buy my Kai scissors for $2.99 a pair from an ebay guy. I use Ultra Clean stamp cleaner. That all being said I still buy PLENTY from SU, but only those things that are exclusive to SU and that something really similar is not available cheaper. Oh, yes, I also buy my sponge daubers 99 cents for a dozen at Staples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I buy my own blank inkpads since I hate the sagging pads.
Yes, - I forgot to add that to my post as well. I love the colors and so was lucky enough to have started SU when they had the old ink pads. I refuse to buy the new stamp pads due to the sagging. So, I've been doing without some of the newer colors until some great SCS'ers turned me on to the fact that I can buy the reinkers and blank inkpads to make my own. Yippee!!!! I can get the Comotion ink pads from Addicted to Rubber stamps and make my own pads. They are the original pads that SU used and they don't dip in the middle. Love them! Sometimes you have to call ATRS because they're not posted on the website but when they are having a sale you can get them for $1 a piece.

Having said that, I still buy a whole heck of a lot from SU. I have all the craft spots and am in the process of getting the reinkers. So, basically, I'm the same as housefan. I buy when it's exclusive to SU or if it has to do with colors...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

.99 Sponge daubers????? We are finally getting a Staples!! YEAH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

You can't beat the quality and value when it comes to SU cardstock. The fact that you can get matching inks and embellishments is just a great bonus. The cardstock and inks are great foundations and SU basics. You will always know that you will get the same colors and where to get them when you need more if you stick those SU foundation or "buliding blocks".
Ranger Certified Educator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both heatguns from Joanns and SU and like them both, but I think that the SU one does a better job. I also loke the stipple brushes, they aren't as stiff as the oned I have bought elsewhere. I am a demo, but I do buy a ton of other company's products, but my main source of paper and ink is SU- I am very particular about the matching and I have not had any problem with mine sagging...but then again I use my spots alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default blank ink pads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketgirl96
Yes, - I forgot to add that to my post as well. I love the colors and so was lucky enough to have started SU when they had the old ink pads. I refuse to buy the new stamp pads due to the sagging. So, I've been doing without some of the newer colors until some great SCS'ers turned me on to the fact that I can buy the reinkers and blank inkpads to make my own. Yippee!!!! I can get the Comotion ink pads from Addicted to Rubber stamps and make my own pads. They are the original pads that SU used and they don't dip in the middle. Love them! Sometimes you have to call ATRS because they're not posted on the website but when they are having a sale you can get them for $1 a piece. ...

I was just thinking I wish I new of blank pads because I would much rather have full pads than spots, but don't know which colors I may end up using.

Can you give me more details on the blank pads? And is there a link on how to color ribbon? I do love the matching papers and inks....

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Becky,
If you go to ATRS http://www.addictedtorubberstamps.com/, you can find out their phone number and order over the phone. Just ask for Comotion Blank ink pads. You won't find them on their website unless they are on sale (sometimes they're on sale for $1). They are the exact same ones that SU used for their inkpads before they redesigned their pads.

I'm not really sure where else you can find them. They take about 1 1/4 reinker to ink them up well, so I would order 2 reinkers per color. That way, you also have some ink left over to color ribbon.

Here is a link to the tutorial on how to dye ribbon using the reinkers (thanks AmyR!):
Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

HTH,
Christine

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your head realing? There sure is a lot of thought on this issue. My 2 cents is that you can get a pair of Kai Scissors for less directly from Kai and they are the exact same scissors. For less.
Reply With Quote Likes