Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anyone that has purchased or just used Copic markers and DIDN'T like them?

I have a chance to buy them for a very reasonable amount, but still a lot of money to put out at one time. I know a lot of people's theory is to "try a few" individuals, but that really isn't an option. Just wondering if there is anyone who actually didn't like them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Go to this stamper's blog. She just mentioned that in her morning entry:
http://rubystamper.blogspot.com/
HTH.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll be watching this...I'm very curious about them. So many seem to have the knack and produce gorgeous works of art, but I wonder how many there are on the other end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
HTH.

Wanda
That's the only negative post I've ever heard about them. They are really very easy to work with.

They are pricey though and not everyone really needs them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I only have 2, so I obviously haven't tried the more advanced blending techniques, but I did find out that they are not magic. When I colored with them, I got streaks where they overlapped, just like dye based markers.

For the amount of coloring I do- even the SU/tombow markers I have are expensive. These are out of my league.

I kept the skin-white color to do skin tones, but even it kind of annoys me because I have to use special ink to keep it from bleeding, so I can't color wish RAK images easily.

I personally won't be buying into this trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

The blog was a very interesting read...I posted this question because I have heard very little negatives about these (other than the obvious price issue), but there always seem to be at least one "downside" to everything.

So now "kittl1321" brings up another interesting point, do you need a special ink so that the colors do not bleed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
HTH.

Wanda
I wouldn't really make a decision based on that person's blog. I have a few but don't have the right ink yet so they do make the ink bleed.

I think you have to decide if you like to color, are you willing to take the time to practice, etc. They're not magic so you'll have to try different things. I don't love the colorless blender so far and I think they work better if you color in small circles, not back and forth. I only got about 25 to start and I purchased them individually because the sets seemed to have too many colors I didn't think I would use and sometimes colors without a lighter or darker shade. Of course if you're getting a complete set that last part won't be an issue.

If you don't love them you could always sell them.

I did have to fix something for my husband the other day, a piece of black enamel had popped out of something. So I colored the metal pase with my black copic and added a little crystal effects on top of it LOL I can tell you, right about then, he was *very* happy I had gotten some copics.

Pretty sad that of all the cool things I've made over the years that is what he's been the most impressed with :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My demo and I tried these at a convention make and take with an Inky Antics image. While I liked how it colored the image and I liked the markers, I won't be buying any. I have the SU markers and I don't use those. I don't have any illusions that Copic would make me an artist. My demo didn't like them. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 05:46 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought about 10 of these, including the colorbless blender at a local art store. You can purchase these one by one online and that is my bottom line recommendation unless you are already talented in the coloring department. Buy about 3 of them in the same color family plus the colorless blender and fool around with them and then decide whether they are right for you. If so, jump in and get a bunch.

These aren't magic -- they will not turn an average "colorer" such as myself into an awesome blender, shader, etc. They take practice, just like any medium. (Hint to Copic design team members: if I had a hands on lesson, I bet my work would improve with these.)

Nevertheless, they have some distinct advantages.

The thing that I liked about them the most is that you can color ribbon, brads, etc. with them. I also turned patterned paper from white with red polka dots to cream with red polka dots just by running the marker over the paper. This versatility is amazing to me and for me, worth it for my DH to get these for me for my birthday (just haven't told him yet).

I also love love love the airbrush effects that I'm seeing.

Again, these are professional markers with a professional price tag. Most of the time I prefer to color with my Prismacolor pencils, especially when coloring in a small image, but these definitely have their place in the arsenal of goodies.

There are several threads in the tools section of this website that discuss which inks and which papers work best with these markers. As usual Ellen Hutson has done most of the heavy lifting on the markers testing out a variety of inks and papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a couple to play with and wasn't impressed enough to want to buy more since they are so expensive. I might consider getting a skin tone to use for toning down (tea staining) white backgrounds or for faces and a light gray for shadows, but other than that I can get the results I want with my watercolors pencils and my Prismas. I feel I can buy a whole lot of stamps or ink pads for the cost of a set of Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Well, I love them. BUT ~ I took a class taught by none other than THE Kathy Sanders....

Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

Best class ever. She's talented, knowledgable, patient.....she took the time to go over what papers & inks work & don't work, & why. I can honestly say, though ~~ if I hadn't had the opportunity to take her class, I would pass on the whole Copic thing. Very few people can figure out how to use these without some guidance (except for Jeanne, of course, lol! She's a genius! From the minute she started using them she created extraordinary pieces of art!!). I'm still asking Kathy questions even *after* taking her class. It takes a LOT of practice. Ellen Hutson, Michelle Wooderson, & Debbie Olsen also have TONS of useful info on their blogs about how to use these. You really need to research & learn & practice!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #12  
ch
Mad Swapper

Kind of like-- just because I go out and buy a piano--I won't necessarilly be able to play it!! Both take much practice!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynzeegView Post
Here is another blogger who was not happy with them and she refers to a couple of others who were less than pleased. I also read the one posted and remember seeing the blogs she referred to. She also has a personal review earlier in her August posts too.

spazzgirldaily.blogspot.com/index.html

Well, she didn't say anything anyone else here didn't say. They won't make you an artist, buy them individually, they take practice, you can color on stuff other than paper (metal, ribbon, etc), you need a different ink. That blogger isn't sending them back, she said she wants to learn how to use them. That's a blog with some facts, one that I would actually give some credibility to, she seems to have really worked with the copics.

By the way, WELCOME TO SPLITCOAST! and congrats on your *first* post :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks for the welcome. I am a regular at GW. You might check out the recent discussion there. It was about 25% for them and about 75% who were not enthusiastic.
You're welcome, ANY time ;) is gw gingerwood? I used to read it once in a while if scs was down but I haven't been there in a few months, there was so much spam. Is your username the same over there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

They eliminated the spam by returning to being a registration system. Anybody can join, you just have to fill out the little registration thingie. I've noticed that it's not unusual for GWers to have a different slant on things than SCSers., lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Thanks for the welcome. I am a regular at GW. You might check out the recent discussion there. It was about 25% for them and about 75% who were not enthusiastic.
I've been looking, but I can't find it. Can you link me to it? I'm a registered user over at GW.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I bought about 10 of these, including the colorbless blender at a local art store. You can purchase these one by one online and that is my bottom line recommendation unless you are already talented in the coloring department. Buy about 3 of them in the same color family plus the colorless blender and fool around with them and then decide whether they are right for you. If so, jump in and get a bunch.

These aren't magic -- they will not turn an average "colorer" such as myself into an awesome blender, shader, etc. They take practice, just like any medium. (Hint to Copic design team members: if I had a hands on lesson, I bet my work would improve with these.)

Nevertheless, they have some distinct advantages.

The thing that I liked about them the most is that you can color ribbon, brads, etc. with them. I also turned patterned paper from white with red polka dots to cream with red polka dots just by running the marker over the paper. This versatility is amazing to me and for me, worth it for my DH to get these for me for my birthday (just haven't told him yet).

I also love love love the airbrush effects that I'm seeing.

Again, these are professional markers with a professional price tag. Most of the time I prefer to color with my Prismacolor pencils, especially when coloring in a small image, but these definitely have their place in the arsenal of goodies.

There are several threads in the tools section of this website that discuss which inks and which papers work best with these markers. As usual Ellen Hutson has done most of the heavy lifting on the markers testing out a variety of inks and papers.
Excellent point, Joan.

Altho, I will say that I secretly think the Colorless Blender Pen is indeed magical! I've never seen anything remove color in quite the way it does, and every time I use it, I sit there and go "Oh, wow! That is cool!"

The more I use and learn about them, the more I like 'em. But, it does take some practice and experimentation to find the look you want and just how to get it. Like pretty much everything. ;)

I hear some folks are experiencing stroke marks; after reading the info at Copic, I learned that if you color in a small circular motion, that's how you eliminate brush strokes.

I'm using them in the classes I teach, Joan! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Excellent point, Joan.

Altho, I will say that I secretly think the Colorless Blender Pen is indeed magical! I've never seen anything remove color in quite the way it does, and every time I use it, I sit there and go "Oh, wow! That is cool!"

The more I use and learn about them, the more I like 'em. But, it does take some practice and experimentation to find the look you want and just how to get it. Like pretty much everything. ;)

I hear some folks are experiencing stroke marks; after reading the info at Copic, I learned that if you color in a small circular motion, that's how you eliminate brush strokes.

I'm using them in the classes I teach, Joan! :-D
I can't get the colorless blender to behave. It almost seems like it takes away TOO much color. I get a very wet spot where I put it down and then it almost looks like a water ring, as if I put a glass down on the paper. I've tried picking up color with it and even that didn't work. Coloring OVER another color was worse though. Maybe it's too wet? I didn't try opening the cap at the other end, I read that somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
I can't get the colorless blender to behave. It almost seems like it takes away TOO much color. I get a very wet spot where I put it down and then it almost looks like a water ring, as if I put a glass down on the paper. I've tried picking up color with it and even that didn't work. Coloring OVER another color was worse though. Maybe it's too wet? I didn't try opening the cap at the other end, I read that somewhere.
If it feels too wet open up the other end and it sucks the ink back in. Pretty nifty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's another talented stamper's opinion on her blog Fresh and Fun, none other than Beate! I have to admit, it does make me feel a little less left out! I'm pretty happy with my SU markers and watercolor crayons, and my Prismacolors. Then again, I'm not really much for coloring anyway.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:50 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessrose21View Post
Here's another talented stamper's opinion on her blog Fresh and Fun, none other than Beate! I have to admit, it does make me feel a little less left out! I'm pretty happy with my SU markers and watercolor crayons, and my Prismacolors. Then again, I'm not really much for coloring anyway.
All those things you've listed are great coloring tools. No need to feel left out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to spazzgirl

I've been talking about this on my blog this week as well and I am less than thrilled with them.
They are not easy to learn to use and I watched Kathy Sanders at CHA use them over and over, but has taken me about 6 hours to get used to them and I am still not overjoyed with the results.

I say start with 3 markers all the same color, just different shades and start there, less of an investment and you can see the learning curve first hand.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
If it feels too wet open up the other end and it sucks the ink back in. Pretty nifty!
I swear, it really is magic! :shock:

Oooooh, aaaaaaah!!! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:56 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

All those things you've listed are great coloring tools. No need to feel left out!
Agreed!

It's like heat embossing. Some people just love to emboss!

Me? It's just not my thing; if I can get away without embossing, I will/do! LOL!

It's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #25  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdodd00View Post
The blog was a very interesting read...I posted this question because I have heard very little negatives about these (other than the obvious price issue), but there always seem to be at least one "downside" to everything.

So now "kittl1321" brings up another interesting point, do you need a special ink so that the colors do not bleed?
It depends on what you mean by "special ink". They're not SU! ink, but they're all pretty common options.

Check out the Aug 5 post on Ellen Huston's blog for a visual of how the markers work with different inks here (scroll almost to the bottom). Basted on her tests, her fav's were Adirondack or Brillance.

I just got a few off of Ebay for about $2.60 each (including shipping) but it was a lot so I didn't get to chose my colors. I haven't really played with the much but I love some of the things you can do with them. Since they're alcohol based I'm hoping you can use them on the same types of things you can use the Ranger Alcohol inks on (metal, glass, etc). I picked up some metal/magnetic stuff at the dollar store which I am going to alter (hopefully) for my niece using the copics.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I am litterally soaking up all of this info...now for all of you that have been kind enough to pass on your opinions, can I also ask which "style" you have. It seems as though "sketch" is what I hear most about, but I would love to know this also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #27  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

what a confusing thread....How are y'all quoting someone who didn't post to this thread?

How do I find the thread from GW???

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
what a confusing thread....How are y'all quoting someone who didn't post to this thread?

How do I find the thread from GW???
You can quote anything by using the quote tag (which is [ quote ] but with closed spaces.) you end a quote by putting the tag there again with a /.

Quote:

See how it works? No one said this yet
As for the ginerwood thread, I'm not sure. I'm registered there, but I find the threads difficult to read (since you have to open each post individually), so don't go over much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #29  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
You can quote anything by using the quote tag (which is [ quote ] but with closed spaces.) you end a quote by putting the tag there again with a /.

As for the ginerwood thread, I'm not sure. I'm registered there, but I find the threads difficult to read (since you have to open each post individually), so don't go over much.
I know how to quote....I am wondering why they quoted someone who didn't post to this thread, I was wanting to see her post about GW, was that a sale she was referring to with percentages?
When you click her post in the quote it doesn't take you back to the quote. (where it normally would)

Obviously I wasn't meant to read it!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I know how to quote....I am wondering why they quoted someone who didn't post to this thread, I was wanting to see her post about GW, was that a sale she was referring to with percentages?
When you click her post in the quote it doesn't take you back to the quote. (where it normally would)

Sorry- I thought you were asking HOW, not WHY about quoting people who didn' t post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Okay, I am litterally soaking up all of this info...now for all of you that have been kind enough to pass on your opinions, can I also ask which "style" you have. It seems as though "sketch" is what I hear most about, but I would love to know this also!
OK! :mrgreen:

Right now, the only version in Copic I have are the Sketch Markers. I love the brush tips! I'm just enjoying learning how to color and get the effect I want, and which way best achieves that.

Ciao's have the same use and features (brush tip/med chisel tip) as the Sketch, BUT, they are not designed to work with the airbrush system. They are less expensive than the Sketch. Sketch are the only Copics that will work with the airbrush system, which I must admit I have yet to try.

While I could ramble on, I'll be upfront: Ellen has already written extensively, and provided tremendously helpful information, so I'm not gonna re-invent the wheel. ;)

Here's a link that you may find useful:

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/ellen...sketch-vs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Best tip EVER! Thanks for this! I have a new marker that is really juicy... this totally solved the problem... amazing!

I will say... seeing Kathy... AKA "Coloring Kate" work with the markers at CHA really helped me get a handle on how to best use my Copics... I will also say... I think Copic should hire Kathy to do a Video for them.... she really rocks!

I think what has helped me most had been to start light... and build UP the color within the image... I have been buying my markers one at a time... and I am so glad... I know there are a bunch of colors I will never need.

My suggestion... get a few... in a shade lighter than you think you need/like. and just know that color can be built up to a darker shade when you color over the same area repeatedly... THEN if you LIKE them... go purchase complementary colors within the same color family... and go from there. I get my markers at Hobby Lobby... and only when they are 30% off.... which they have been twice in the last 4 months.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I'm so glad you posted this. Obviously the mods removed something. I thought perhaps I had one 'tini too many, and then I remembered I don't drink!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

sorry... forgot to add... I have the Sketch... which I have been happy with... I think I will eventually get into the airbrushing... eventually! I am glad I have the option... and I only own like 16-18 markers right now... which hasn't broken the bank (yet).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 AM   #35  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I'm so glad you posted this. Obviously the mods removed something. I thought perhaps I had one 'tini too many, and then I remembered I don't drink!
Joan...
you can't talk about drinking 'tini's without offering any of us one...:mrgreen:since you don't drink, I will take one for the team and drink yours.

Yea, I was totally confused...I guess your explanation makes sense.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

My suggestion... get a few... in a shade lighter than you think you need/like. and just know that color can be built up to a darker shade when you color over the same area repeatedly... THEN if you LIKE them... go purchase complementary colors within the same color family... and go from there. I get my markers at Hobby Lobby... and only when they are 30% off.... which they have been twice in the last 4 months.
Well, too late...I said I was offered a good deal so I went with it. I always have been an "all or nothing" kind of person. I don't have buyers remorse yet (although I did get a bit nauseous when I hit the "send Paypal" button;) ) I do not have a HL or ACM here so I wasn't going to get individuals at 30% off...what I did purchase makes them almost 50% off. I figure worst case scenario is that I hate them and will have to sell them...check back often for a great deal on Copic Sketch markers, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I will give that a try. I'm going to try it on watercolor paper also, maybe the colorless blender will be better on that?

I do like the other colors and have just been scribbling the darker color on the lid of a chinese food container I saved (LOL SHUT UP!) and picking up some of the darker color with the lighter one. Then it colors right out like my blender pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Well, too late...I said I was offered a good deal so I went with it. I always have been an "all or nothing" kind of person. I don't have buyers remorse yet (although I did get a bit nauseous when I hit the "send Paypal" button;) ) I do not have a HL or ACM here so I wasn't going to get individuals at 30% off...what I did purchase makes them almost 50% off. I figure worst case scenario is that I hate them and will have to sell them...check back often for a great deal on Copic Sketch markers, lol!
lol! I am sure you will like them... Just practice, practice, practice!

Best of luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I will say... seeing Kathy... AKA "Coloring Kate" work with the markers at CHA really helped me get a handle on how to best use my Copics... I will also say... I think Copic should hire Kathy to do a Video for them.... she really rocks!

If I'm not mistaken she told me she was doing a video for Copic just for cardmakers....I think they were suppose to film her in Chicago.....I had to email one time and I believe that is what she told me...it was a while back.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken she told me she was doing a video for Copic just for cardmakers....I think they were suppose to film her in Chicago.....I had to email one time and I believe that is what she told me...it was a while back.....
I sure hope this is true, I'd purchase a video for sure. Her work is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes