Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonic Paper Trimmer Problems

I am on my 4th Tonic Studios 12-inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer! This is the same one that SU sells. After a while it's like the blade dulls and it starts leaving jagged edges on my paper yet it's self sharpening. I don't know what to do because everyone recommends it and so far it's the best cutter I've found...until it stops working! I cut nothing but cardstock and designer paper with it. There's no tape, I tighten the blade and the paper holder downer thing but nothing is working once it starts with the jagged edge.
Any ideas on what the heck is happening?:confused::confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Mine is doing the same thing but just towards the end of the blade.:(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have you been sharpening the blade periodically by running the handle up and down without any paper? If all you do is cut but never sharpen, then yes you will eventually get jagged edges because your blade is dull! Every few times you pull it out, you need to do about 15 or 20 "blind" cuts so that the blade can sharpen itself.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this trimmer and agree, it was a good trimmer - at first. I sent mine back for this reason. Like k9clipper, mine was just doing it on the 1/2 of the blade near the handle end. I hadn't had mine for very long (a month?) and had tried sharpening the blade as suggested. That didn't work at all, at least on mine.

No worse than the MM trimmer - like you, aidansmom, I went through multiple of those.

Wish I could help solve your problem, but at least I can empathize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I wondered if that's what I was doing wrong! Thank you!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
I had this trimmer and agree, it was a good trimmer - at first. I sent mine back for this reason. Like k9clipper, mine was just doing it on the 1/2 of the blade near the handle end. I hadn't had mine for very long (a month?) and had tried sharpening the blade as suggested. That didn't work at all, at least on mine.

No worse than the MM trimmer - like you, aidansmom, I went through multiple of those.

Wish I could help solve your problem, but at least I can empathize.
I wonder if there are any other cutters that work better out there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

As much as I'm not crazy about my big Fiskars trimmer, it's the one I keep going back to between failed attempts to love all of the other trimmers I keep trying. We've been back together about 3 weeks this time - since I returned my Tonic 12". I keep stubbing my toe on my latest Making Memories trimmer; just can't bring myself to throw away that $ (yet).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I just looked at my 12 x 12 Tonic Trimmer & I noticed there are 3 screws on it. I'm just wondering if I losen these screws if we can take out the blade & sharpen it at a store or maybe even at home? Mine is still cutting paper ok but I have found a couple of times that the paper was a smooth cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I've had no problems with my Tonic and I've had it over five years. Even though they say you can cut more than two sheets of CS at a time, I never do as I have found it loosens up the blade and handle. It works extremely well with one sheet at a time.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

The measurements on my 12" Tonic were off a bit. I contacted the company and they actually sent me a USED one that frayed when it cut... So I am not impressed with Tonic at all.
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

I had this same problem with the Tonic 12" cutter I purchased, right from the beginning, so it couldn't have been that the blade wasn't sharp. Towards the end of the cut, it would just not cut, but kind of fold the paper. Drove me nuts, as I tried all the little hints people on here who liked their Tonics offered. I finally sent the thing back and use my big Carl most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by doxiegalView Post
The measurements on my 12" Tonic were off a bit. I contacted the company and they actually sent me a USED one that frayed when it cut... So I am not impressed with Tonic at all.
I've had my Tonic replaced several times for this very reason (cuts are off). I know it's not me because the grid is not exact. I give up. I am looking at the Carl 220 but have heard mixed reviews on this cutter so I'm not sure what to do. So frustrating!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #13  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
I've had my Tonic replaced several times for this very reason (cuts are off). I know it's not me because the grid is not exact. I give up. I am looking at the Carl 220 but have heard mixed reviews on this cutter so I'm not sure what to do. So frustrating!

I've had a Carl 200 for about? 8 years now, and I really love it. I am just about to replace the cutting blade for the second time.

You know, one thing that drives me crazy about cutters - and I used to think that it was due to my bad cutting - but my husband checked things for me

Have you got a dead square angle on your cutter? If not, you cuts will never be dead straight.

How exact is your cutter measurement wise to the ruler that you use? My husband got out some tool of his that measures in tiny amounts.... and we found that one of my rulers was WAY off - maybe 1/4 inch from my cutter! No wonder I was having troubles. A ruler with a copy right on it is usually more accurate - but even then...

I do like my nice big Carl Cutter!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I've had a Carl 200 for about? 8 years now, and I really love it. I am just about to replace the cutting blade for the second time.

You know, one thing that drives me crazy about cutters - and I used to think that it was due to my bad cutting - but my husband checked things for me

Have you got a dead square angle on your cutter? If not, you cuts will never be dead straight.

How exact is your cutter measurement wise to the ruler that you use? My husband got out some tool of his that measures in tiny amounts.... and we found that one of my rulers was WAY off - maybe 1/4 inch from my cutter! No wonder I was having troubles. A ruler with a copy right on it is usually more accurate - but even then...

That is exactly it! My square angles are off, and I've had a total of 3 of the 12x12 Tonics. The one I have now is @ 1/16" off, which may not seem like much, but believe me, I see it and it drives me nuts.

Thanks for the info on your Carl, I'll have to check it out! I can't wait to get rid of the one I have now. I gave one to my brother who has Downs and he LOVES it. But then he loves the act and sound of the cutting and doesn't need accurate cuts. He's such a sweetheart!

Off to check out the Carl 200! :-D
Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I never thought of checking out the measuring! That could be part of the problem - that and the jagged edge that starts in the middle of my cuts! Very frustrating!

Is it easy to do small cuts with the Carl 200?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
That is exactly it! My square angles are off, and I've had a total of 3 of the 12x12 Tonics. The one I have now is @ 1/16" off, which may not seem like much, but believe me, I see it and it drives me nuts.

Thanks for the info on your Carl, I'll have to check it out! I can't wait to get rid of the one I have now. I gave one to my brother who has Downs and he LOVES it. But then he loves the act and sound of the cutting and doesn't need accurate cuts. He's such a sweetheart!

Off to check out the Carl 200! :-D
I just noticed you're in BC - where did you get your cutter from? I'm in Calgary.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I was having trouble with my cuts being off and the ragged edge near the bottom of the cutter. I called the company in Wisconsin and they replaced it with a brand new one. Also I had to send another one back because of a nick in the blade. But I digress. The gentleman told me that the blades are NOT supposed to dull. He also told me to cut slowly. That has helped tremendously as I put that paper in and slice like I'm racing with someone. He also told me that sometimes even the best paper companies have bad batches of cuts and I checked after receiving the last cutter and sure enough, some red paper I got from a paper company was off. It lined up on the top but when it got down to the bottom it was slightly larger which makes for a crooked fold. I'm a perfectionist and that was driving me crazy. The rest of the papers have all been just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #18  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I'm an SU! Demo...I ONLY use the SU! Tonic cutter and cut A LOT of paper...Every 3 weeks, I have my husband sharpen the blade. He takes it APART. (There are screws in the BLADE!) and runs the blade through our knife sharpener! I have NEVER had a problem. And, every single one of my customers, (4 are lefties and didn't want this cutter), owns and LOVES it! If they EVER get the "dull" blade, they bring it to the next stamp camp, and my husband sharpens the blades for them while they stamp. (I'm located in a Navy town, and 3/4 of my customer base is made up of Navy wives, most of which are homemakers/caregivers to their families while their husbands are in Iraq/Middle East.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

wow! I have no help for you. I have a 6" tonic cutter that I purchased 6? years ago. I have done thousands and thousands of cuts with it. I've never sharpened the blade, never do "cuts" without paper. Every once in awhile I'll get a crummy cut and wipe off the blade on the guilletine arm...and then it's back good as new.

I did order one from SU, and had to return it 3 times before getting one that cut well.

I have no clue why. But mine works well, is awesome, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I'm so sorry you are having problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
I'm an SU! Demo...I ONLY use the SU! Tonic cutter and cut A LOT of paper...Every 3 weeks, I have my husband sharpen the blade. He takes it APART. (There are screws in the BLADE!) and runs the blade through our knife sharpener! I have NEVER had a problem. And, every single one of my customers, (4 are lefties and didn't want this cutter), owns and LOVES it! If they EVER get the "dull" blade, they bring it to the next stamp camp, and my husband sharpens the blades for them while they stamp. (I'm located in a Navy town, and 3/4 of my customer base is made up of Navy wives, most of which are homemakers/caregivers to their families while their husbands are in Iraq/Middle East.)
What kind of knife sharpener does he use?

By the way...I love your cards & your blog! TFS all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Have you been sharpening the blade periodically by running the handle up and down without any paper? If all you do is cut but never sharpen, then yes you will eventually get jagged edges because your blade is dull! Every few times you pull it out, you need to do about 15 or 20 "blind" cuts so that the blade can sharpen itself.
This is good to know, I just got one . Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #22  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by aidansmomView Post
I never thought of checking out the measuring! That could be part of the problem - that and the jagged edge that starts in the middle of my cuts! Very frustrating!

Is it easy to do small cuts with the Carl 200?
No, it's not easy to do small cuts with the Carl Cutter as the rotary cutting arm is about 1 1/2 inches wide. For that reason I also have my cheapie Fiskars cutter - for small cuts. But I rarely used it. My carl cutter is 12 x 12 - and I love that! I loathe that crazy arm on most of the cheapie cutters that extends out at about 5 1/2 inches - often exactly where you need a cut - but who can read that arm???

I purchased my Carl Cutter years ago in ScrapBook Warehouse in Vancouver. I discussed the whole cutter issue with them, and they told me that they had yet to find a PERFECT cutter!! They agreed with my troubles with the dead on square and the measurement problems.

She said she loved the Carl 220 I think it was the best - but because you have to lock the cutting arm down it slows you up a little. They also carry tonic - and she says for an inexpensive cutter for a beginner ... it's really quite good. But she - the clerk - who owns the store said she prefers the Carl.

If anyone ever finds the Perfect cutter - let me know!;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

No, it's not easy to do small cuts with the Carl Cutter as the rotary cutting arm is about 1 1/2 inches wide. For that reason I also have my cheapie Fiskars cutter - for small cuts. But I rarely used it. My carl cutter is 12 x 12 - and I love that! I loathe that crazy arm on most of the cheapie cutters that extends out at about 5 1/2 inches - often exactly where you need a cut - but who can read that arm???

I purchased my Carl Cutter years ago in ScrapBook Warehouse in Vancouver. I discussed the whole cutter issue with them, and they told me that they had yet to find a PERFECT cutter!! They agreed with my troubles with the dead on square and the measurement problems.

She said she loved the Carl 220 I think it was the best - but because you have to lock the cutting arm down it slows you up a little. They also carry tonic - and she says for an inexpensive cutter for a beginner ... it's really quite good. But she - the clerk - who owns the store said she prefers the Carl.

If anyone ever finds the Perfect cutter - let me know!;)

I just had a quick question, are you able to cut chipboard with your model?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the Dahle cutter? I saw them in Hobby Lobby last week and wondered if they were any good. It was pricey, but that doesn't always mean anything.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I have a Dahle 507 personal trimmer, paid about $65 for it (Canadian dollars). I loved it for its sharpness. The angles were little off, but I've never done anything about it - I've always just compensated. Two days ago, the plastic paper guard broke and I started phoning about the replacement part. It turns out that it would cost $37 before the tax (with shipping) to replace it. I can buy a brand new Carl 200 for the same money, so I think I will just retire my Dahle, especially given I have another 3 cutters (Making Memories, Fiskars, and SU Tonic). :-(

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
Has anyone tried the Dahle cutter? I saw them in Hobby Lobby last week and wondered if they were any good. It was pricey, but that doesn't always mean anything.

Julie

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had a Dahle 440 for almost two years and really like it. I got it when my Tonic started doing the same thing the OP described plus cutting crooked. I paid almost $200 for it so I hope it lasts a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I've loved mine, but I am not ready to pay half of it's retail price for a plastic guard. :shock: Maybe I need to pay $200 or so for a trimmer and finish with it. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstamperView Post
I have had a Dahle 440 for almost two years and really like it. I got it when my Tonic started doing the same thing the OP described plus cutting crooked. I paid almost $200 for it so I hope it lasts a lot longer.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that I have to stand up and apply even pressure on the handle when pressing down for mine to not fold the paper near the end of the cut. But I have had no problems with frayed or bent edges since figuring this out and my cutter is about 1.5 years old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote=debzi333;14658142]
How exact is your cutter measurement wise to the ruler that you use? My husband got out some tool of his that measures in tiny amounts.... and we found that one of my rulers was WAY off - maybe 1/4 inch from my cutter! No wonder I was having troubles. A ruler with a copy right on it is usually more accurate - but even then... quote]

I took a class and the first thing the instructor had us do is measure our rulers against a drafting ruler. Most of the rulers in the class were off. I came home and measured all my rulers and trimmers and each one was a little different.

If you do any measurements, use only one tool. In otherwords, if you use a ruler to make your measurements then don't switch to using the ruler on the trimmer.

I have a tonic guillotine, tonic trimmer, and a Dahle large platform slide cutter.

The tonic guillotine - is great, still sharp but I don't like it for small cuts as I can't see close to the blade.

The tonic trimmer is great and my grid is even and I can use fiskars blades as I can't find tonic blades locally.

Love my Dahle for large projects but I don't like the grid. It's a bit busy with all the marks.

So far, no one has created my perfect trimmer. I have a graveyard of used trimmers that I keep for classes.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just took apart the top blade of my Tonic guillotine cutter and sharpened the blade with a knife sharpener--the round kind that you hold in one hand and swipe across the blade with the other. It helped get rid of a nick in the blade that I could see and feel. It's not perfect but it's working better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Small Tonic trimmer......from the get go mine has made minute notches in the paper. Especially noticeable with darker colored paper. Also, when blade hits cardstock, paper tends to shift.I know the cardmaking gurus love it, but perhaps I notice things they don't?
I'm weary of retailer and mfr telling me operator error.....how hard can it be. I just donated to goodwill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My large base Tonic Trimmer does make my paper shift slightly if I don't hold it down good. I don't know if I've ever owned a perfect trimmer and I have had many of them, but the Tonic gives me the least problem so mine is here to stay...it's 11 years old and just as sharp as the day I bought it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Small Tonic trimmer......from the get go mine has made minute notches in the paper. Especially noticeable with darker colored paper. Also, when blade hits cardstock, paper tends to shift.I know the cardmaking gurus love it, but perhaps I notice things they don't?
I'm weary of retailer and mfr telling me operator error.....how hard can it be. I just donated to goodwill.
My small Tonic does those same notches. Just started noticing it. Pretty much renders it useless. I've had it about three months. What is that?

I'm still using my Costco cutter but a pin fell out of my friend's model so I'm figuring I'm probably doomed with mine too. I wouldn't mind getting a big ticket cutter as a Christmas wishlist gift but I don't want to invest in something that will conk out in no time. I take my cardstock to Fed Ex to be cut card sized now just because I don't want to wear out my cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
So glad I saw this thread. My 2 Fiskars weren't square and my small Tonic shifts. I thought I was a complete dope for not knowing how to cut paper. Sorry you all are having problems but happy to know - its NOT me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

A friend of mine uses one of those old big block ones that doesn't have a safety guard. She holds her cardstock fairly close to the blade with a steel ruler. I'm ready to live dangerously if I could find one of those old ones with a good grid and not made out of plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

maryalena you made my fingers recoil. I know me, while tempting, never a guillotine.

I have a Fiskars that's quite good as long as I focus, but the Carl rotary is the cats meow. Just adore it, and can cut many pieces of CS at once. Just not good if you have a narrow strip of paper and you want to cut an even narrower one off - the plastic guard is too wide, though sometimes I push it through with another piece of CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I think I figured out my own operator error on small tonic......remove paper right after trimmed, before lifting blade. The blade will catch edges of paper on upward swing. Going to experiment some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had three tonic cutters of various sizes and never had problems with any of them. You do have to hold your paper firmly with the paper guards and with my large one I prefer to stand up to use it. Sometimes when paper does fray a bit it's because the paper is old.........another reason to use up what you have so you can buy some new stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

I was thinking there was some big cutter that the professionals like drafters and architects use, maybe with a laser light and a perfect grid and replaceable parts. Maybe that's the Carl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I was thinking there was some big cutter that the professionals like drafters and architects use, maybe with a laser light and a perfect grid and replaceable parts. Maybe that's the Carl.
OT (sorry for hijacking) Carl has a lot of rotary cutters, some more commercially oriented. Some parts are replaceable. No laser light, but the green semi-transparent plastic finger guard casts what looks like a line of light where you're cutting. It does that on purpose. : 0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a little less expensive when I got it. It's very sturdy and has a lifetime warranty. I talked to a Carl rep a couple times before buying it - and someone here - Queen of Inkland - told me about it originally. I was making thick, gluey, glittery mosaic pieces to cut up and wanted to make sure it wouldn't mess up the cutter. Easy peasy.

But I don't think one cutter can do everything. Guillotine and rotary cutters don't ordinarily have measurements to the right of the blade so if you need to measure those skinny pieces and you only have a narrow piece to cut from, you measure accurately like with a standard Fiskars or similar.

I use my Fiskars for that. I just can't drift off into imagination-land as I'm cutting like I can with the Carl. (The Carl clamps down on the paper so it can't move when you cut it.) It also cuts chipboard, rubber, etc.

The day I got it I opened it in the kitchen and started cutting up those rubber pieces you can use as jar openers. Couldn't help myself. There's a thread about this, with focus on the Carl somewhere. I can try to find it if you're ever interested.

But I can see the attraction of one of the heavy duty guiotines too.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: tons of extra lines - not on Chrome/found name of enabler
Reply With Quote Likes