Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using wrapping paper from the SU holiday mini

I've been reading other threads here and there are some discussions about the wrapping paper from the SU holiday mini that are kind of hidden under different topics, so I thought I would start a new thread. I know some people have said the wrapping paper is pricey, and I agree (though it's in line with other good quality wrapping paper that I buy from various fundraisers).

However, the home decor displays that Shelli Gardner showed us at the SU convention this year really impressed me and gave me the idea for an alternate use for the paper. Instead of just using the wrapping paper for presents, I will use it to make permanent seasonal displays. I'll wrap lots of different size boxes in the coordinating paper and place them in a sleigh and under the tree, make a coordinating lantern and chipboard garland, and make party favors for all of our Christmas guests. I think used like that it will be quite economical and I can stamp stuff in SU's exclusive ink colors to coordinate.

I'd love to hear other ideas as well. Please post here if you plan to buy the wrapping paper and share how you're going to use it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread the other day on "drop hinge boxes". I would love to make those for Christmas.
I am waiting for those who get it to see how strong (for lack of a more descriptive term) the paper is. Compared to say Sally Foster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just mentioned on another thread that I was going to use the wrapping paper for paint cans and lunch tins. I sell these at craft fairs during the winter months and thought it might be less expensive than using two 12x12 sheets for each paint can. Especially the double sided paper.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I will repost what I said in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my take on the wrapping paper in the mini:

For the last few years my nephews have had school fundraisers in which they sold Sally Foster wrapping paper. This paper is expensive....around $8 to around $13 a roll, 25 sq feet to 40 sq ft per roll. There paper is also exceptional quality. Very thick, not see through, and easy to wrap with because it does not tear. The SU! wrapping paper has 2 rolls per package, and each roll is 37 sq feet, so the prices are very similar to the quality paper from Sally Foster. The added benefit is that this paper also matches stamps and colors from SU! so that I can make added tags or cards to go with. Now that is ideal! So, I totally view this paper as worth it. My guess is that the paper is probably thick as well.

When it comes to little kids, sure, I would rather use cheap paper because they dont appreciate the pretty wrapping. So, I save the good stuff for older people that will look at it and go "ooh, ahh, I almost dont want to open it!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post

When it comes to little kids, sure, I would rather use cheap paper because they dont appreciate the pretty wrapping. So, I save the good stuff for older people that will look at it and go "ooh, ahh, I almost dont want to open it!"
So true!!! I would die to see paper that nice being ripped and shreded! It is like the time I made a scrapbook for the whole first year of my friend's baby's life--it was being passed around the party and a girl looked at it then put it in the floor! I almost screamed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #6  

I am still undecided on if I will buy some. There is so much I want to order with my first Demo order, and so far I have not chosen the paper as part of it. But I will use it to wrap gifts, for sure, if I do get some. But it will be to people that will appreciate it. :-) That way I save it for another year, too, possibly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I am still undecided on if I will buy some. There is so much I want to order with my first Demo order, and so far I have not chosen the paper as part of it. But I will use it to wrap gifts, for sure, if I do get some. But it will be to people that will appreciate it. :-) That way I save it for another year, too, possibly.
Hey Amy -- Cute new family pic! Sorry or the mini hijack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #8  

Hee hee Diane. Thanks, I decided I didnt like the picture of me I had up. its ok, then again you hijacked your own topic. ;-) I am not helping however.

So, I read somewhere else about this paper still not being able to be ordered due to some sort of quality issue of some kind? Is this still the case?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Hee hee Diane. Thanks, I decided I didnt like the picture of me I had up. its ok, then again you hijacked your own topic. ;-) I am not helping however.

So, I read somewhere else about this paper still not being able to be ordered due to some sort of quality issue of some kind? Is this still the case?
SU was working with the manufacturer to ensure that the paper was of the highest quality and this is the reason why it was not available to the demos as a pre-order. But as far as I know right now, it should be available for purchase when the Holiday mini period begins September 1. Hey, that's this Saturday! Wow -- time sure flies when you're having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I, too, may not use the wrapping paper for wrapping gifts,
but more for crafting: making envelopes for giftcards; use as decorative paper on altered cans, covering notebooks, wrapping for swaps and raks.
tfs your ideas, can't wait to see the quality!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailwooView Post
I, too, may not use the wrapping paper for wrapping gifts,
but more for crafting: making envelopes for giftcards; use as decorative paper on altered cans, covering notebooks, wrapping for swaps and raks.
tfs your ideas, can't wait to see the quality!
I love the idea of making envelopes with the paper! Super clever! And of course it's nice to use it as covering for altered objects instead of the DS paper, since you only ever see one side anyway.

Great ideas, keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I was thinking of using it to cover notebooks and some little boxes that I have. I too, couldn't bear to wrap a gift and then have the paper thrown away! Gasp!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Amy "Zipper" CUTE family pic you have!!

OK, this is what I do with my nice spendy beautiful wrapping paper-
I wrap the present in a basic paper first, plain (but not cheapy that it rips or tears around corners), THEN I take my neato SPENDY paper and make a belly Band around pkg, and use the paper for loops and bows, so I am not wrapping the whole pkg in the good stuff. It also saves me from the angst of seeing that expensive paper RIPPED to SHREDS in the excitement of the moment!! hee hee
That said I cannot WAIT to get the new SU paper.
And in mid Sept we start with the Sally Foster!! Im a Sally Foster HOR-(deurves)!! hee hee im so sneaky!!)
In Hi School I worked at The Wet Seal and did all the Holiday wrapping for them, cuz I loved too!
oK that was way TMI, slo down on the espresso!!!

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Definitely WILL NOT buy....my first thought was...give me a break....put your effort into stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Aren't we a tad weird? I LOVE special wrapped gifts and having a theme under the tree... but i die inside when it gets torn or ripped into w/out the due respect that the beautiful gift wrap deserves!!! lol! And i concur- kids do get the cheaper, cute fun paper, but grown ups get the elegance.

Regarding SU going in this direction? I think it makes sense- are we not a card making company? What usually goes with cards? GIFTS! 'bout time i say!

Look at it this way...if you have a workshop and your hostess invites non-stampers, with the gift cards and wrapping paper and ribbon those ladies have something that they can feel good about buying because they'll use it and it helps their friend earn goodies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this paper is probably the best, most versatile product that SU is now selling. I hope they keep it up. It is a brilliant idea -- sure as wrapping paper it is pricey, but as a substitute for other paper, it is a steal.

And, if it is like Sally Foster, it will be thin enough to be much better on chipboard, etc. than designer papers. I just ordered those adorable chipboard houses from doodblebug and intend to make a set of 3 for Halloween and a set of 3 for Christmas (1 large, 2 small each). I think that the wrapping paper may be a better way to decorate the Christmas houses than decorator paper, but I'll have to wait and see.

Also, after I run some paper through my cuttlebug, it should make some pretty interesting paper for a variety of uses...

Plus, I really wouldn't want to wrap a hundred gifts in pricey paper, but I don't give that many gifts and using nice paper with beautiful ribbon really just makes any gift so much more special. Sure, it is a luxury, but I'm worth it!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

now that the holiday mini is up, I'm bumping this up to see if anyone has purchased the gift wrap? if you did, what do you think? do you like the quality? is it a good substitute for designer paper (for altering things, making envelopes, etc.)? does it accept stamp nicely if stamped on? i'm very curious!

thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

We were just notified today that the designer wrapping paper is of acceptable quality, so my guess is that no one has it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

bump. anyone have this and can comment on its quality. is it like Sally Foster?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I plan to! If worse comes to worse you could glue it to paper to make it thicker.....

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

the big difference is that 50% of the Sally Foster price goes to the school. WE'RE still paying the full price, but half supports the fundraiser.

Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm going to make party poppers for some of the party favors for my wedding in December. I've thought these were fun since my aunt brought some back from England when I was a kid. Here's a link to a pattern that a nice SCSer posted on the demo side: http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=11648
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm hoping someone has her hands on this stuff and can comment on its quality!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I can't remember the names, sorry. I have the striped and spotted one, and the blue 'Blizzard' ones. they are great quality, but I am sure that is an opinion- I think they are probably comparable to some of the fund raiser ones, but my GS's catalog just came home and the samples in there are thin, not thick, so obviously it depends! I used to buy Current paper years ago, and I would say it is like that.

There is a ton of paper on a roll, but the rolls are not long, so it will not wrap any box bigger than say a small shirt box.

I had no qualms about wrapping the outside and inside of a large but not deep box, layered it with tinsel, and put all of my 3-D swaps- glass ornament balls- and carried them to Philadelphia that way. It looked great!!

The paper is sort of shiny, so while you could certainly use it for card fronts, they might not photograph well. OTOH, if all you are going to do is make cards, these rolls would last a lifetime!!

I did read on the demo side a comment that the Pomegranite Merry Christmas one was not printed perfectly, and that person was unhappy. The two I have are wonderful, and I have no regrets about buying. I do some decorating at the holiday times, and love very primitive stuff, so I may well buy the Merry Christmas one to try and do something other than gifts with, the ones I have are too bright for that purpose (just for me I mean).

Last edited by Babies; 09-21-2007 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: typos!!
Reply With Quote Likes