Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the cheapest product to use on the back of unmounted stamps for he blocks.

I have used ez mount foam for all my unmounted stamps. However I go thru the stuff so fast. I was just wondering if anyone had any cheaper solution or found a home remedy/tip that they might have used to stick the stamps to the acrylic blocks other than the ez mount foam.

I thought about a two sided tape but then the glue from the other side would keep getting stuck on the back of the stamp and not so sure I want that, plus I need to keep reusing the blocks for my clear stamps. I can't use the tape on the clear stamps or it will rip them.

Any other clever solutions out there. any ideas, all you creative minds out there.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I use Elmer's Craft Bond glue stick and stick the stamp right to the acrylic block. When you're done, pull it right off and the glue washes off the stamp and the block. HTH!

Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Aileen's Tack It Over and Over glue on the back of the stamp really works. It's kind of messy when you first apply it, but I followed some good advice here on Splitcoast and started diluting it 50/50 with water and it's a lot less messy. I have heard, though, that if you have cats or dogs in the house, their hair is very much attracted to the glue!

When I do big sets of small sets (like alphabets) I put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on - but make sure you cover your table with LOTS of newspaper. For SU stamps, I keep the cushion that's on them and just paint the Tack It Over right over the sticky that goes to the wood block.

I agree - I love EZ Mount, but it can get a little pricey if you're doing lots of stamps and if you can take the initial mess, the Tack It works really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Honestly, I always just use the Scotch brand double-sided poster tape and have never had any issues. Because it's poster tape, it's not quite as strong of a bond and doesn't leave any residual adhesive once I remove it from my acrylic block. It comes in a red dispenser and can be found just about anywhere. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry, fI orgot to add that as it comes off the roll, the strip of tape comes with its own sort of "backing sheet". You tear off a piece of tape, just like normal, stick it to whereever you want it, then peel off the backing strip to expose the other side of teh tape. When I'm done using my acrylic block, I just stick the backing strip back on to save the tape for another use. (This makes an already inexpensive solution EXTREMELY cost effective!) Eventually, I do have to replace that little strip of tape because it will start to lose its tackiness after a while. However, it has never interfered with my ability to use acrylic stamps at all... I just turn the blosk over and stick my acrylic stamp to the side without the tape strip and use them that way. No biggie. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my goodness, my typos! :oops:

OK, I'm done now! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I just use the repositionable Herma Dots on my Stamping Bellas. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post
Honestly, I always just use the Scotch brand double-sided poster tape and have never had any issues. Because it's poster tape, it's not quite as strong of a bond and doesn't leave any residual adhesive once I remove it from my acrylic block. It comes in a red dispenser and can be found just about anywhere. HTH
Do you use this with SU unmounted stamps? What do you do about the sticky adhesive already on the back of the foam on SU stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I use Scotch Restickable Glue Stick -- rub it on the back of the rubber, let it sit about 60 seconds, and you're ready to stamp. It lasts through quite a few applications of stamp to block, cleanings, etc. I also store my UM stamps by sticking them to plastic sheets -- the adhesive really lasts a long time! I find the glue sticks at places like Staples and Wal-Mart -- it's about $2.50 for a big stick. I've been using it since I started stamping -- about 9 years now, and have always been happy with it. Can't get much cheaper than that, either! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I don't use the foam -- I peel it off, and just use the *bare* rubber (with adhesive, of course). No need for foam cushion, actually -- it's there to compensate for unevenness in wood blocks. You don't have that with acrylic blocks. If the image needs a bit of cushioning to print properly, I just put a few sheets of scrap paper under the cardstock I'm stamping on -- works just fine! Saves getting your scissors all gooped-up when trimming the rubber, too. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lklloydView Post
Do you use this with SU unmounted stamps? What do you do about the sticky adhesive already on the back of the foam on SU stamps?

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I guess it certainly can be an alternative if I do run out of the ezmount foam. At least this way I can use it the stamp. But with no cushion you don't find that you get the ink on the edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

repositional herma dots. hmmm never thought of that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62View Post
I have used ez mount foam for all my unmounted stamps. However I go Thur the stuff so fast. I was just wondering if anyone had any cheaper solution or found a home remedy/tip that they might have used to stick the stamps to the acrylic blocks other than the ez mount foam.

I thought about a two sided tape but then the glue from the other side would keep getting stuck on the back of the stamp and not so sure I want that, plus I need to keep reusing the blocks for my clear stamps. I can't use the tape on the clear stamps or it will rip them.

Any other clever solutions out there. any ideas, all you creative minds out there.

If you're looking for Cheap, Then I would go with the Aleen's TACK it over & over Glue.

The only problem is waiting for the Glue to try so you can use your stamps.

Something I have done is use the Craft foam with one side has sticky back to it. and then you can use the TIO&O glue on the other side. This way your stamp's will have a cushion to them.

Craft foam can be purchased at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and probably AC Moore.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaVBView Post
I just use the repositionable Herma Dots on my Stamping Bellas. Works great!

GET OUT!!! Really?

I have that in my stash! I'm gonna hafta try this!

TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

I like to leave on the SU foam backing b/c the images stay in the CD better. Just press the SU label on the back, trim, then slap down on my clear mount w/ double sticky tape.

i have some lg sheets of EZ Mount I bought from Sunday International...if someone wants to make an offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

You could reserve one side of your clear block for your ez mounted stamps, and use double stick tape for the other stamps on the reverse side of your block.
other cheap alternative- aleens tack it over and over glue on the stamps that you dont want to put to ezmount
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Lisa,

Rinse the tape off under cool water (leave the tape on the block) when it starts to loose its stick...the tape usually is as good as new after this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the Tombow Mono-Multi glue (the white glue, not the liquid!). Put a coat of it on the back of the stamp, let it dry and you can put it on and peel it off of the block over and over again. Plus, that Mono-Multi glue is the BEST glue I have ever used! Doesn't warp your cards at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Ladies,
I bought a few stamps that were mounted on foam with a sticky back instead of cling so I bought some of these sheets of ez mount cling. I cut it out and apply it to the back of the stamp(sticky side)for permanent acrylic backing. Then they can be used with the acrylic blocks. It comes in a single sheet 8.5 X 11. It's only .99 cents. It's a real thin sheet of non sticky, flexible plastic, I think. I believe it's meant to apply permanently to an acrylic block but I attached it to the stamps instead of the blocks. Works great...and it's cheap.

http://www.stampin.com/online/accs/mounts.htm
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=10135
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I forgot to mention, it's about halfway down the page on the right just past the acrylic blocks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

[quote=Racercat;6791340]Hi Ladies,
I bought a few stamps that were mounted on foam with a sticky back instead of cling so I bought some of these sheets of ez mount cling. I cut it out and apply it to the back of the stamp(sticky side)for permanent acrylic backing. Then they can be used with the acrylic blocks. It comes in a single sheet 8.5 X 11. It's only .99 cents. It's a real thin sheet of non sticky, flexible plastic, I think. I believe it's meant to apply permanently to an acrylic block but I attached it to the stamps instead of the blocks. Works great...and it's cheap.

http://www.stampin.com/online/accs/mounts.htm[/quote

Racercat,
This sounds like agreat solution for SU stamps since they already have the foam. I have read where some people do not like using the cling, but I'm not sure why. Does it last long? Does the stamp stay stuck to the acrylic block? And how long have you been using this cling? I was about to order some EZ mount Foam but, I'm really tempted by the cling. I just want all of my SU stamps mounted the same way, so I want to make sure it's the best way for me before I start.

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Dina -
I've used the Grafix brand vinyl cling on the back of my SU! stamps, but I didn't really like it - probably because I was spoiled by the EZ Mount. It holds the stamp to the acrylic block ok, but I could never really scrub the stamp clean when it was on the block - as soon as any wet got under the cling, the stamp started sliding around. Also, to get good "stick" the blocks had to be squeaky clean - and some of the SU stamps seem to have a little "puff" to the middle of them which made the vinyl not cling to the block in that spot at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I attached it to several stamps and used them several times with no problems. I just recently started using it so that's all I have to go on. For .99 cents a sheet, I figured it's worth a try. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStampsView Post
I like to leave on the SU foam backing b/c the images stay in the CD better. Just press the SU label on the back, trim, then slap down on my clear mount w/ double sticky tape.

i have some lg sheets of EZ Mount I bought from Sunday International...if someone wants to make an offer.
The double sticky tape doesn't 'peel' the image off from your SU label?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No cushion, Aileen's Tack it over and over is all I use! Works great, no problems and super inexpensive too!

Why pay for cushion (EZ mount or cling) that you don't need!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

No, I don't have trouble with ink on the edges of the rubber. Had a lot more trouble that way when inking up stamps *with* foam cushion! If I'm not paying attention when inking, I sometimes get a little ink on the edges of my acrylic block -- but I just wipe it off before I stamp. :mrgreen:

Quote:

I guess it certainly can be an alternative if I do run out of the ezmount foam. At least this way I can use it the stamp. But with no cushion you don't find that you get the ink on the edges.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to say that I posted a 'how to' on my blog yesterday about mounting with the Tombow glue in case you want to check it out here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetHeidiJoView Post
Just wanted to say that I posted a 'how to' on my blog yesterday about mounting with the Tombow glue in case you want to check it out here.
Sounds like they're good and sticky! Could I put the SU sticker on the back of the rubber and put the Tombow on that? And how do you store them? I assume they stick well enough to do a 'sticky storage' sytem (binder, photo pages etc) instead of cd cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Default has anyone ever....

... converted from using TiOaO, Tombow, Scotch glue stick etc, to foam mount? Have you had your SU sticker on the back of your stamp, and have you been able to take it off before putting on the foam mount? Just wondering in case I went cheaper/easier, and later wanted to invest in EZ foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetHeidiJoView Post
I use the Tombow Mono-Multi glue (the white glue, not the liquid!). Put a coat of it on the back of the stamp, let it dry and you can put it on and peel it off of the block over and over again. Plus, that Mono-Multi glue is the BEST glue I have ever used! Doesn't warp your cards at all!
Thanks for the tip Heidi. I also checked the demo on your blog - very good for the visual learners among us.

My volume of unmounted stamps is growing & as I don't always have a supply of the ezymount handy when they are delivered this will be a convenient alternative. Also I have recently seen a idea using unmounteds to stamp on shaped objects by curving them over the surface to be stamped. Using the glue will leave the stamps more flexible.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I can't help you with the removal of liquid glues, but can tell you that the Scotch gluestick washes off easily with a little soap & water. HTH! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommjView Post
... converted from using TiOaO, Tombow, Scotch glue stick etc, to foam mount? Have you had your SU sticker on the back of your stamp, and have you been able to take it off before putting on the foam mount? Just wondering in case I went cheaper/easier, and later wanted to invest in EZ foam.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Lisa,

The Aug 11 entry on my blog has tips to avoid getting ink on the block that result in smudges on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I personally wouldn't use anything but EZ Mount foam. My solution is to buy it from Beeswax
where it's $1 a sheet cheaper than anywhere else I've found it.

When I unmounted, I spread it over a year, both for the obvious financial reason you stated and because, after stamping for years, my accumulation of stamps to remount was overwhelming. Do the most used first. You may find there are some you would prefer to keep on wood blocks (like alphabets, I kept them on blocks for a few years.)

Good luck with the remount.

Latte wishes and Cappuccino Dreams!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I just tried using glue from my glue stick to put on the back of an unmounted stamp. Inked it up and stamped perfect. Then all you have to do it spray your cleaner on both the back of the stamp and the block and wipe it off when your done.

It was so easy and how cheap can that be. Now is the time to stock up on glue sticks now that all the school supplies is on sale. I always stock up on glue sticks this time of year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I just tried using glue from my glue stick to put on the back of an unmounted stamp. Inked it up and stamped perfect. Then all you have to do it spray your cleaner on both the back of the stamp and the block and wipe it off when your done.

It was so easy and how cheap can that be. Now is the time to stock up on glue sticks now that all the school supplies is on sale. I always stock up on glue sticks this time of year.
Lisa,

When you get low on stamp cleaner, just use water to remove the glue stick from the stamp and the block...glue sticks are water-reversible. Some stamp cleaners contain stuff that can damage acrylic blocks, so it's better to use water to clean arcylic blocks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I did think of this after. So I figured from now on I will just have a container of soapy water next to me next time I do this.
Reply With Quote Likes