Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does not work with Cuttlebug?

I am so frustrated reading through thread after thread and site after site trying to find out what I need when my CB arrives on Thursday. Maybe it will be easier to ask what does NOT work.

Which dies should I not use with a CB?
Which brands of embossing plates will not work with a CB?
And which brands of either dies or embossing plates will require me to buy adapters of some sort?

Is anyone else just completely overwhelmed? I have never seen a die cut machine. I have never seen an embossing machine. Maybe it is because of these that I feel I have probably gotten in too deep and am over my head! This is causing anxiety!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Oh don't be anxious!! The bug is so much fun!! Start with cuttlebug dies and embossing folders. No adaptations will be needed for those. You can use Sizzix dies as is, but BE CAREFUL with the thick dies! The cb is supposed to handle them but a few people have cracked b plates with these. If you want to get into using texture plates rather than embossing folders, that's when you'll need adaptations. Please, please don't be upset! Look forward to your new toy!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I agree with Lisa, don't be anxious. I had never seen the necessity for a die-cut machine until I saw what the cuttlebug could do with the embossing folders. My DH got a CB for me for Christmas. I was able to get a few embossing folders from Michael's and Joann's with 50% off coupons and played with those. The embossing folders are awesome. I order more CB folders and some diecuts on-line, and I think for now I will stick with just those. As I get to be more proficient with the bug I will consider branching out to other brands. So if you have the chance to pick up some CB die-cuts and embossing folders do so, play with them and you will love it. Go from there. I love this little bug and I see it taking my cardmarking to a whole new level.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks ladies! I am not good with machines and all the information on thread after thread just threw me so. I think I will just stick with the basics, but when I saw that Ellison Big Impression background I tried searching to see if it would work with the CB. I got more overwhelmed and never did find the answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Housefan, I thought your question was great. The possibilities and crossovers of the different machines and different dies/embossing folders is a little intimidating. But don't be anxious. That's right, too.
I don't have a CB, but have purchased about 8 of the CB dies and embossing folders to use with my Sizzix. I love them !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I wish someone would make a cheat sheet showing what each machine does and ALL the brands of embossing plates and dies that can be used with each. I don't know why I seem to be feeling that this is more complicated than it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I wish someone would make a cheat sheet showing what each machine does and ALL the brands of embossing plates and dies that can be used with each. I don't know why I seem to be feeling that this is more complicated than it is.

Your vision, your mission.
This comment is meant to be taken lighthearted and not in a snarky manner. I only say it because you could learn so much by taking on this project.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I cracked my "B" plate this morning using a sizzix die. I used it several times before but I over did it with the paper. I put in 3 pieces of card stock at a time. I should have kept it to 2.

Can't get to michaels for a couple of days. Anyone know if I can still use the cracked plate as the bottom "B"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I just got the cuttlebug, and so far, I've only used the CB folders for embossing, and the dies. It's very easy to use, just make a sandwich out of the plates, and follow the order exactly. Put the sandwich in, as evenly as possible, and turn slowly while gently pushing the sandwich until it catches on the rollers. Then, just wind the handle. I've not had to force anything, so far, so good. I can't wait until I get time to try all the new dies and folders, and different cardstock. The glossy looks beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I jumped in early on this CB sisterhood when I read JulieHRR's info on the CB. Joann's was still accepting the coupons on-line (early Nov) so I was very lucky.

I just thought I'd tell you not to worry about it - you'll do just fine actually playing with it when it FINALLY arrives. Then, as you experiment, ask the questions as it comes up for you and someone will surely jump in to help you. I am also one of those that has difficulties with machines :rolleyes: and the little bug, is taking away all my fears. I actually have a Zip-e-Mate that was too difficult for me to crank as well as get dies early on. It's been sitting in my closet since the day I bought it and tried it - but now, I'm trying to take some of the plates to see what I can sandwich.

We'll be here for you when you're sitting with your bug. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcardi73
I cracked my "B" plate this morning using a sizzix die. I used it several times before but I over did it with the paper. I put in 3 pieces of card stock at a time. I should have kept it to 2.

Can't get to michaels for a couple of days. Anyone know if I can still use the cracked plate as the bottom "B"?
Unless it's broken in pieces, no reason I can see as to why not. You might want to put some clear packing tape over the crack, tho, in case it spreads and the plate begins to come to pieces while going through the machine? I doubt it will, but, since you're using it for the bottom pad, as opposed to the cutting, it couldn't do any harm that I see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

OP - I'm a little stressed with all the info overload too!! ha ha...

One question I have been wondering about ... can I use all those brass SU! templates I have for dry embossing? Didn't know if those would work or not ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default cracked b plates

Hi,
I cracked a B plate on the CB. Still working!! I put through a sizzix die with chipboard that was too thick. My mistake. Good think the B plates are cheap. But I am still using my cracked plate and it is working as if nothing happened.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Actually, if you look a little further down in the list of threads, Cat has already posted a chart for reference in regard to Cuttlebug usage and the various things folks have tried....

My avatar is my darling niece Emma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I am so frustrated reading through thread after thread and site after site trying to find out what I need when my CB arrives on Thursday. Maybe it will be easier to ask what does NOT work.

Which dies should I not use with a CB?
Which brands of embossing plates will not work with a CB?
And which brands of either dies or embossing plates will require me to buy adapters of some sort?

Is anyone else just completely overwhelmed? I have never seen a die cut machine. I have never seen an embossing machine. Maybe it is because of these that I feel I have probably gotten in too deep and am over my head! This is causing anxiety!
I must admit, that as awesome as it sounds, it would be a massive undertaking in research time for one individual to take on.

Because of the slight differences in calibration some are experiencing in their respective CBs, results will vary from one individual to another, especially with the vast array of brands of brass, steel, plastic embossing products out there, and dies for that matter.

I think that with some experimentation in shims, you will find that basically, ANY embossing product that will fit through the 6" feed will work on the CB--you just have to figure out the right stack or shim combo that works with the particular embossing products you are sending through it.

As for dies, almost any die that will fit through the 6" feed should work as well on the CB. The ones I'd rule out would be commercial grade or wooden framed dies--they are probably too wide, and possibly too thick.

We each have no way of figuring out what everybody else has purchased and developing findings for what they have and we don't.

Basically, I think everybody's gonna have to do their homework and find what works for them, and what doesn't--there are simply too many variables involved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzmindy
Actually, if you look a little further down in the list of threads, Cat has already posted a chart for reference in regard to Cuttlebug usage and the various things folks have tried....
Aaaah, that's right! Cat has invested considerable time trying to keep up with what people are finding, and here's her post and document:

Cuttlebug Stacks

She does mention that it's not "complete", and in constant update, as she is able to find and add new info on it.

It should at least provide anyone with a generic/basic sense of what can be used and how.

Blow kisses to Cat--she's a brave and generous soul to devote so much time to it! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

And, Housefan, to answer your question specifically...yes, the Ellison Big Shot texture plates DO work in the Cuttlebug, if you use their starter set. I purchased the set directly from them and it includes 3 double sided texture plates as well as the other plates. Just by using their stuff, I got, well, a "texture" of the image. I will probably try sending it through with maybe one extra piece of cardstock to see if I can get a bigger, bolder embossed look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmom
Your vision, your mission.
This comment is meant to be taken lighthearted and not in a snarky manner. I only say it because you could learn so much by taking on this project.
Problem is-- I don't have all the machines and the equipment to compare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I have a Sizzix and I am able to use the Sizzix die cuts, Sizzlets, emboss brass stencils, use the CB die cuts and CB embossing folders, the only thing I can think of so far that I CAN'T do with the Sizzix is use the Fiskars Texture Plates.
SOOOOOOO At this point I am pretty satisfied to keep with the Sizzix -- I know that in another month or two something new will pop up that will tempt all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes