Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the best die cut machine?

Hi,
First of all, I don't know anything about them! I'm ready to buy one but don't know which one to get....?? What are the various ones and what are the difference btw them all? What are the prices like? Etc... As far as I know, I'm thinking of using it to make pretty shapes with paper .. then to stamp on .. then to place on a card.
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Welcome Tiffany! As you can guess, there is not one "best" machine. It's different for everyone and the prices go from $50 (with a Michael's coupon) to hundreds of dollars. Some hook up to a computer, some use cartridges, some are manual machines that use metal dies.

This question gets asked quite often - I would suggest you go back through some of the messages in this forum and look at other responses to this question. Also, I wrote a brief explanation of the different types of machines on my blog:http://rusewcrazy.blogspot.com/2008/...ng-primer.html

Aimee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Aimee said there are so many different kinds. If you are wanting to cut and use embossing folders as well, a manual die cutting machine would be better fit. However if you are wanting to cut out your own artwork, or make custom phrases/sayings/sentiments, or buy one cartridge with a ton of images, a digital die cutting machine would be better.

I personally have a Big Kick made by Sizzix, it is a manual die cutting system. I bought it at Joann with a 50% coupon for $50 several years ago. Including my extra mats and everything, I spent about $75 for it. Over the years I've collected a bazillion embossing folders (which I use a lot), many sets of Nestabilities (series of shapes), and quite a few dies. When Michael was clearing out their Sizzix Alphabets I was able to get 7 sets for $65 (normally $150 each). You can find really good deals out there on dies and embossing folders, especially since you are new to die cutting, you can pick up the older releases for nearly nothing.

Next up for me is a serious digital die cutting machine called the Boss Kut Gazelle (or the Pazzles Inspiration. I'm not 100% sure which one yet, ) I am currently saving up for it. I chose the Gazelle/Pazzles because the software has more options and I really want the print and cut feature - where you print something on your computer, or stamp an image, and the machine cuts it out for you. I design, so I like the option of cutting my own things out.

For people who don't want to mess with the computer but want a digital die cutter, there are Cricuts available in a few sizes at different price points. You buy images on cartrdiges - one cartridge has a ton of stuff and runs about $80 not on sale, I've seen them for as little as $25 during major sales. It's hit and miss.

Really the best place to start is to look at what you are wanting to really do, research the different die cutters to see all the different options, and make a pros/cons list. That's how I am deciding on which digital machine to get. I'm also making a list of all the online retailers (there are no local stores here who sell them), their prices and their shipping, so once I *do* have the money saved, I know exactly where to get it at.

Feel free to ask ANY questions you might have, we have a lot of die-cutting divas here who would be more than willing to help you out - myself included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are lots of good machines out there, like everyone has said.

I have a limited amount of space to store my crafting stuff in, and usually drag all my things out to a table in my living room when I make cards.

So I chose the Cuttlebug because 1) it is small and portable, easy to store and has a pull-up handle on top to carry it easily from room to room; 2) it is one of the least expensive of the diecutting/embossing machines, and you can usually find it on sale, or use a coupon at Michaels, Joanns or Hobby Lobby; 3) it does a great job with the Cuttlebug embossing folders, which are cheap and a lovely variety; 4) you can use the Cuttlebug dies in it, as well as the Spellbinders Nestabilities shapes dies; 5) it is a manual machine and easy to operate.

I've had mine for about a year and a half and have had no problems with it.

If you google Cuttlebug, I am sure you can find some great videos of the Bug.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Aimee! your blog post was very helpful! It explains alot! Thank you! So, if you get a manual die cut machine you can use the metal plates from different manufacturers? That sounds good! I'll do some more research, but ya'll have helped alot!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

After researching for a bit, the Big Kick sounds really good to me!! And you say it will work with all the Spellbinders dies?? (For some reason I seem to like theirs the best!)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany7View Post
After researching for a bit, the Big Kick sounds really good to me!! And you say it will work with all the Spellbinders dies?? (For some reason I seem to like theirs the best!)
Thanks!
Yes and Yes. I have a Big Kick and love it, and my spellbinders work wonderfully in it.

One thing you might want to take a look at. A few manufacturers (Sizzix, Quickutz, Xyron) are just announcing plans for a 12" wide machine. It's large and expensive, but I wanted to let you know if you think that is something you might be at all interested in. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Big Kick, plus you can get it with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

You can also get the Big Kick (also called the Big Shot) from SU and if you add a bit more to your order you'll get hostess benefits as well. Plus, someone to show you how to use it. SU has some neat exclusive dies as well.

I have the Big Shot and love it. I've tried out the Cuttlebug and it just strikes me as too flimsy. I like the sturdiness of the BS, even though it does take up more counter space. I'm always afraid I'm going to break the Cuttlebug, even though I never do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I've gotta say, I hate my Big Shot. It's good for what it does, but dies are SO expensive.

I LOVE my Slice, and actually sold my Cricut because I never used it. I WAY prefer my Slice. Go to www.whyslice.com and look at the new MS+ capabilities of the new design cards. After getting my Slice I just couldn't ever bring myself to buy another die for my Big Shot, when spending $40 on a Slice card (and that's if I pay full price) to get an entire alphabet I can cut in up to 8 different sizes, plus all of the different shapes that I can cut in up to 8 different sizes, AND the new mirroring, shadowing and speed features. After being spoiled to that, spending even $5 on one shape, in one size, just seems ridiculous.

I have the bag, which holds my Slice, the power cord, my design card holder, and all of my Slice tools. I love the embossing tips, and with the new mirroring capabilities you can emboss or deboss an image, which I LOVE.

Some of the cutters that you can attach to your computer seem pretty cool, but I love my Slice so much I don't think I'd use one of them enough to warrant spending that much.

Good luck, I hope you find something you love as much as I love my Slice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

HHmmm, I actually do have a slice (w/ 6 cards) and a cricut expression! I just didn't know if I was missing something by not having a die cut machine!! What's the new mirroring capabilities?? My slice can emboss now??? I'll go look this up....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Thanks!
Tiffany,

All the Spellbinder dies come with the sandwich information in the insert that comes with the die. That way you always have the info right on hand!

HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Big shot, it has been a godsend! And i haven't found a die that won't work in it! Not to mention you can use the BIGZ in it don't think you can with the CB? Please correct me if i'm wrong girls.
Hugs
Tizzy xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I've gotta say, I hate my Big Shot. It's good for what it does, but dies are SO expensive.

I LOVE my Slice, and actually sold my Cricut because I never used it. I WAY prefer my Slice. Go to www.whyslice.com and look at the new MS+ capabilities of the new design cards. After getting my Slice I just couldn't ever bring myself to buy another die for my Big Shot, when spending $40 on a Slice card (and that's if I pay full price) to get an entire alphabet I can cut in up to 8 different sizes, plus all of the different shapes that I can cut in up to 8 different sizes, AND the new mirroring, shadowing and speed features. After being spoiled to that, spending even $5 on one shape, in one size, just seems ridiculous.

I have the bag, which holds my Slice, the power cord, my design card holder, and all of my Slice tools. I love the embossing tips, and with the new mirroring capabilities you can emboss or deboss an image, which I LOVE.

Some of the cutters that you can attach to your computer seem pretty cool, but I love my Slice so much I don't think I'd use one of them enough to warrant spending that much.

Good luck, I hope you find something you love as much as I love my Slice!
Very interesting. I've updated today with all this new info. I think the Slice seems like a really nice little machine, and I might get it someday if I had the extra cash. Do you ever find yourself limited by the size though?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default I am a Die Cut Machine Junkie

I have never seen one I didnt like....... I found that Nesties work best with the spellbinders wizard, the other machines will do the job, but the embossing wasnt as deep.

I was at my LSS store today, and the owner showed me a sample of work she had done with the EPIC, using CuttleBug embossing folder.......... it looked like it had been manufactured........ it was Perfect and i have never seen the Cuttlebug folders emboss that deeply even in their own machine.

Later this week, I am taking some Nesties down there to see how they do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Ok Hands down the Big Shot!!! I have a sizzix org,quick cutz one,and a big shot!!!
I hated the new epic(my own preferance). I did try it over and over. I have used the little sizzix also and didn't care for that one. If I had to choose beteen the sizzix big shot and the quick cuts one... Big Shot for sure!!!
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a BS and an Cricut Expression. I like and use both but hands down, I like the BS better but I find it hard to buy dies when I can get so many variations with the Cricut cartridges.

I like the BS the best because it's the easiest to use. I haven't had problems figuring out the layers. But I'm not a great fan of nesties and I rarely use the few I have.

The draw back on the Expression is learning about what settings you need for various paper weights (some paper will tear and others won't cut all the way through). Once you get the hang of using it, it's great. I only have about 15 cartridges and I don't feel as if I need a lot more.

Overall, I think you need to decide on just how often will you use it, do you have space for a larger machine, and the long term cost of dies versus cartridges. Oh, and do you have patience to learn all the ins and outs of the electric dies cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks!
Remember when ordering a machine (other than the Wizard) to make sure you order the Spellbinders embossing mat if you want to use Spellbinders dies. You will need the mat to get the emboss with the dies no matter what machine you buy. People don't always realize they need it and end up having to spend extra money on a second shipment for the mat.

I hate wasting money!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh!! thanks so much for that! I will definitely remember to do that!! I appreciate the tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Joanns online has the Big Shot for 59.99, if you register an account with them its only 2.95 shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

You don't *have* to have the special spellbinders tan mat. I use the purple one that came with my Sizzix texture plates. I've also used fun foam in a pinch. A lot of people get the rubber gasket from Home Depot as well. You just basically need a cushiony surface between the paper and the cutting mat which will force it to emboss, but not cut all the way through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
You don't *have* to have the special spellbinders tan mat. I use the purple one that came with my Sizzix texture plates. I've also used fun foam in a pinch. A lot of people get the rubber gasket from Home Depot as well. You just basically need a cushiony surface between the paper and the cutting mat which will force it to emboss, but not cut all the way through.
You can also use the BIGkick/Big Shot crease pad. Like hoosierMama, I use my texturz silicone rubber mat, and not the Spellbinders rubber mat. It makes more sense for me because I bought the Texturz starter kit (which included 3 plates, the impressions pad and the silicone rubber).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Big Shot and Big Kick win for me! They are soooo easy to use and have the power people love in the Wizard but without all the problems I hear about! Much more versatile than the Cuttlebug. The dies are also better from Sizzix, deeper cutting, better impressions, larger size than Bug or Quickkutz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Default Big Shot

Love the Big Shot I got from SU. Had it about a year and even I cannot wreck it. It is very sturdy, does just about everything you need and you just cannot destroy it. One of the best things I have ever bought. Use it a lot too. Will take the wider dies.

You cannot go wrong with it. Wonderful investment. Should last a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Likes