Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What's with distress inks and EP?

My LSS has distress inks and EP. I got a couple of colors of ink and for BG it's OK, but for stamping it didn't seem to have even distribution. Also the colors are weird. I saw she had the EP too, but I'm afraid to try it. She's brand new- opened in June and not a stamper, so I'm trying to give her advice on what I would use. I'm also teaching some card making classes. Her only other ink pads are Stazon. I'm thinking she should get Brilliance. :confused:
My Facebook Page
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is EP?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #3  

Embossing Powder
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Distress inks are really meant to distress the paper with...i.e. run the pad along the edge of the cardstock or go direct to paper with. I've never thought they were worth the money...I can do that with my SU! pads and I can stamp with them too.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #5  

That's sorta what I thought. Know anything about the EP- I'm afraid that wouldn't stick or something- why else would it be distress?
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little confused. Why would someone open a stamp store and not know her products? Even a scrapbooking store should know how to use every product in stock (IMHO). Moving along, distress inks by Ranger are dye inks and will not emboss, at least not easily. If Ranger is now selling distressed embossing powders, I assume you use versamark, sprinkle with the embossing powder and will end up with an uneven "distressed" look -- I think these powders don't emboss too shiny -- they give a matte look, not that I'm thinking about it. I think I read about these. It isn't my style, but could be awesome in the hands of talent.

Why don't you make her an offer. She gives you a bottle half price and in exchange you make some samples for her to display? You could get some good deals this way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617
Embossing Powder
Oh- I thought it was something related to distress inks!

I have tons of embossing powder, it was just out of context, so I was confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

urgh, wish there was an edit button-
okay, now I see that there is a product called "distress embossing powder"

-long day-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

The distress embossing powder by Ranger is great fun. You can use versamark or they have their own Tim Holtz distress embossing ink. After you heat emboss, you rub over the image, some of the powder comes off leaving you an old and distressed look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #10  
Stamping is a Hoot!

I have all the distress inks and I love them, I have been using mine esp the newer colours a lot of late. I mostly like them for doing backgrounds but you can use them for normal stamping. One problem why you are having problems with them could be because you are using a new pad so they are very wet at the moment. I believe you can emboss with them if you are quick but I haven't bothered. Now the distress embossing powders are totally different to normal embossing powders, so if you are planning on teaching embossing to newbies don't teach with these. The distress ep's have a release agent in them, before you use them you need to shake up the jar each time - even if you only used it a little while ago. Pour the distress ep onto your work and emboss, next you use your finger or whatever and rub over it and it will remove some of the embossing. These powders are more for when you are wanting an arty look, they can be fun but definately not for the newbie stamper.

Brilliance would be a good all purpose inkpad for newbies, as you can emboss with it or leave it to dry naturally.

Hope that helps

StampOwl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
I'm a little confused. Why would someone open a stamp store and not know her products? Even a scrapbooking store should know how to use every product in stock (IMHO). Moving along, distress inks by Ranger are dye inks and will not emboss, at least not easily. If Ranger is now selling distressed embossing powders, I assume you use versamark, sprinkle with the embossing powder and will end up with an uneven "distressed" look -- I think these powders don't emboss too shiny -- they give a matte look, not that I'm thinking about it. I think I read about these. It isn't my style, but could be awesome in the hands of talent.

Why don't you make her an offer. She gives you a bottle half price and in exchange you make some samples for her to display? You could get some good deals this way!
Today I offered to buy the stamps I use for classes 1/2 price, b/c God knows I don't need another Merry Christmas word stamp or holly or snowflake. (I did pick 6 that I wanted to use for the next class) She said no she would put them in her collection, but I don't think she stamps! Some I might use again, and wouldn't mind having. Anyway last month, I actually bought the stamps I used for today's class, but I told her I'm not doing that again. I did make some nice cards and it was less than $10 b/c they were buy 2 get 1 free.

Anyway, if it's like you say they're probably not my style either. She pays me in store credit and I think I will renegotiate as I get more students. I have tried to promote things she had in the store. She really is a scrapbooker and the stamps are a sideline. The first class was card making with stickers b/c she had NO stamps. only 2 ladies but they dropped $150+ in addition to the fee. Today there were 6 ladies, and 2 were the ones from the first class.

Anyway thanks for the info on the EP.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampOwl
I have all the distress inks and I love them, I have been using mine esp the newer colours a lot of late. I mostly like them for doing backgrounds but you can use them for normal stamping. One problem why you are having problems with them could be because you are using a new pad so they are very wet at the moment. I believe you can emboss with them if you are quick but I haven't bothered. Now the distress embossing powders are totally different to normal embossing powders, so if you are planning on teaching embossing to newbies don't teach with these. The distress ep's have a release agent in them, before you use them you need to shake up the jar each time - even if you only used it a little while ago. Pour the distress ep onto your work and emboss, next you use your finger or whatever and rub over it and it will remove some of the embossing. These powders are more for when you are wanting an arty look, they can be fun but definately not for the newbie stamper.

Brilliance would be a good all purpose inkpad for newbies, as you can emboss with it or leave it to dry naturally.

Hope that helps

StampOwl
I like Brilliance myself for the intense black line.Thanks to everyone on the EP. Like StampOwl said, it sounds like it wouldn't be so good for newbies.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampOwl
Huh, I thought I was the world's biggest fan of Brilliance pads and inks but I've never used them for embossing. They are designed to dry faster than regular pigment pads, more like a dye ink does. For this reason I just never thought of embossing with them. I know you can emboss with dye inks, and I have in the past, but why bother when you need to be in a hurry. I guess you can learn something new every day!

The distress inks are great when you want to add an all over, aged look to the paper. They stay wet longer than regular inks to give you time for blending them around. A good experiment to get the feel for them is to do some DTP with a few colors and then spritz them with water. You'll see the colors move and blend on their own. The OP mentioned that for regular stamping they don't have even distribution. They aren't suppose to. It's the blurred, worn look they are designed to make.

The distress EP is kind of like regular EP with a colored sand mixed into it. (I don't know if it really a sand but it is similar) The "sand" is called release cyrstals and you dislodge them after heat setting to give a pitted, aged look. If someone were trying to use this as a regular EP they would be very dissapointed in the end result. BTW, you don't have to rub off the crystals and you are left with a more textured look than regular EP.

I hope your LSS owner takes a crash course in stamping. This is not a good time for a non-stamper to be trying to run a LSS. Sales are tight and stores are closing all over the place. You really have to know your stuff to stay in the game these days.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617
I like Brilliance myself for the intense black line.
Have you tried Versafine? It is an instant dry pigment ink that is water resistant. (Instant seems to mean different things to different people.. myself, I'd just call it quick drying) I find that it is much easier to clean off my stamps than the Brilliance. The Onyx Black is a good deep black. It's become my favorite pad.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I absolutely love distressing inks, I stamp with them all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #16  

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to go play
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Distress inks are really meant to distress the paper with...i.e. run the pad along the edge of the cardstock or go direct to paper with. I've never thought they were worth the money...I can do that with my SU! pads and I can stamp with them too.
That's about my take on 'em, too.

On the rare occasion I did want to try vintage/distressing/shabby chic, I could easily create the effect with ink pads I already owned so I couldn't figure out why they were such a hot item . . .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
I hope your LSS owner takes a crash course in stamping. This is not a good time for a non-stamper to be trying to run a LSS. Sales are tight and stores are closing all over the place. You really have to know your stuff to stay in the game these days.
Holy smokes, yes!!!! I couldn't agree more on that!!!

What lines of stamps is she carrying?

I'd recommend she at least stock some good basic dye and pigment inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Holy smokes, yes!!!! I couldn't agree more on that!!!

What lines of stamps is she carrying?

I'd recommend she at least stock some good basic dye and pigment inks.
I agree, she has inkadinkado and some others, but not a lot. I have tried to convince her to order Outlines or Northwoods. something the chains don't carry, (It helps that I like these) Another lady that I heard has been singing the praises of outlines, but so far she hasn't ordered them.

As to inks, I did tell her she needs something other than Stazon. I hate how it's so hard to clean off the stamps. I know it has its place, but it's not really the first I would buy.

The only EP she has is the Distress.

She does have wonderful scrapbooking papers and embellishments. Things that match that way. For solid color CS she has Bazzill and the only none textured is a few primary colors. I tried to explain she needs plain paper for stamping. I love Bazzill, but for stamping it seems a waste to stamp on the back of that wonderful texture. If someone makes a mistake, there's no turning it over.

Anyway I try to give her advice as to preferences. I know I haven't run a business, but I know what I like as a stamper.

I know she writes down what people request, not sure if she orders everything. I gave her my wishlist from the new Outlines Catty. Not ordered yet!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 05:06 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I think you should try stamping with your distressing inks, the colors are so nice and different from other inks. LIke I said, I do not just distress with them, I use them to stamp with, it gives a softer than regular ink image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #21  

I'll try it, but for newbies and less adventuress customers, I think this LSS should get some more basic ink pads. Thanks for the info. It's clear you're a fan!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

the big draw with the distress inks is they ARE NO waterproof...that way you can spritz them with water and it gives you an entirely new look. They stay wet longer so you can get ink bleed.

here is the information from the Tim Holtz website:

Journey in Distress Inks by Tim Holtz

Distress Inks have been specially formulated to produce an aged look on papers, photos, fibers and more. These inks are not "better" than other inks; they just work completely "different" for the purpose of creating an aged look. Distress Inks coordinate GREAT with other inks Ranger manufactures including Adirondack, Archival, & Nick Bantock, they just work different.

Here are some key points that make Distress Inks different:

STAYS WET LONGER - (allows you to blend and shade on photos and paper - also emboss) other dye inks dry too fast especially on photos so you end up with lines and marks if you go direct from the pad.

COLOR WICKS OR SPREADS OUT - (these inks will travel across the surface of your paper when spritzed with water) other dyes do not travel as much although they might bleed a little when wet, the Distress Inks actually "wick" or spread out much further creating several tone on tones.

COLOR STABILITY - (the colors of the Distress Inks will not break down when wet or heated allowing you to have more color control for the finished look) other "brown colored" dyes will break down when water is added leaving a pink & green hue.

COLOR PALETTE - Well these are unlike ANY other colors of inks you've seen. The color palette of Distress Inks is:
* Antique Linen (the color of aged lace or linens found in the cherished heirlooms of grandmother�s trunk)
* Old Paper (the color of weathered and timeless book pages tucked away in the attic for generations)
* Tea Dye (the orange hue of saturated tea bags with the results of dying in a tea bath for days)
* Vintage Photo (this color is captured right out of the photographs from times gone by)
* Walnut Stain (a rich, dark stain of and old walnut tree perfect to create a dark wash of color)
* Black Soot (from the depths, a black like no other - this is the one you've been searching for)

TO DISTRESS: I like to use water when I am distressing. I think it gives the papers more of a weathered texture, so here's how I start. Working on any type of paper (manila, cardstock, or text weight), crumple the paper up - always press in the center of any heavyweight cardstock or manila stock - this will break the surface tension of the paper and allow you to crumple up the paper easier without tearing it. Next rub the Distress pads over the surface - you can work with several different colors or just one - WALNUT STAIN IS IDEAL FOR THIS. Then spray the inked surface with water (you will immediately notice the ink "travels" outward when water is applied as these inks are designed to react with water). Heat the surface to dry - and here's why... Although you don't have to Heat Set these inks for any reason, I like to dry the water using either my Heat-It Craft Tool or a Craft Iron. This will allow for more tone control and keep areas dark and others light. Ironing the paper will also give you a much smoother surface to stamp on without compromising the aged finish. *If you allow the surface to air-dry most of your color will end up on the edges only because the paper will bend and buckle when wet, forcing the ink and water to the edges. Notice that these Distress Inks retain their color value even when wet and dried. Other brown dyes will break down in color (sometimes leaving a pink and green hue).

FOR STAMPING: What can I say about the many stamping applications these inks can achieve. Once again the special formulation on these Distress Inks provides a versatile finish on papers yet still allow for "normal" stamping applications. I like to stamp on uncoated (matte) papers and immediately rub the image with a cloth - this will soften or shadow your image WITHOUT smudging any detail - VINTAGE PHOTO, WALNUT STAIN, TEA DYE, BLACK SOOT � wonderful for this one! Another surface is glossy cardstock - keep in mind this is a different type of dye ink so when you stamp on glossy, certain areas of your image will "bead" up, once again providing a Distressed look without you doing a thing (this is probably one of my most favorite looks) - some areas of the image appear "pitted". Brayering on glossy cardstock is also wonderful because you can still manipulate the inks with different tools, brushes, your fingers, whatever. Even after the ink is applied you can achieve amazing texture and color shading.

ON PHOTOS: FINALLY an ink formulated for photos! Whether you�re a scrapbooker or not you can use all types of photos (vintage or new ones) on your cards and pages. The Distress Inks work on all types of photos - inkjet, laser, toner copies, regular photos (matte or glossy) and even color photos! Start by using the lightest colors ANTIQUE LINEN or OLD PAPER with either a brayer or DTP (direct to photo). Cover the photo in the lighter colors, blend the colors with a brush or your finger after you apply the inks - these inks stay wet long enough for you to blend out any lines or marks other ink pads leave on photos. Next age the edges with VINTAGE PHOTO or WALNUT STAIN by applying the pad directly to the edges - soften and mix the tones with a brush or your finger too. Of course to complete the aged process lightly sand - YES SAND - the photo with medium grit sand paper. Don't go over anyone�s face, but just make a few scratches here and there.

THE RE-INKERS: The Distress re-inkers are so versatile and fun, especially the bottles they're in! These vintage looking glass dropper vials are perfect for aging a "batch� of tags, fibers, linens or whatever, in baths of Distress Inks & water. You can also create your own palette on your craft sheet using the reinkers and hand tint any black and white photo color by color (very fun thing to do). I also like using the resist ink or Perfect Medium and the reinkers to create amazing stained backgrounds on papers. Enjoy the journey�

and information about the EPs:

n order to get the best results from your Distress Powders we have offered some helpful Instructions, Tips and Techniques:

Tips:
1. Shake jar before each use to evenly distribute the release crystals.

2. As with regular embossing, use a well-inked stamp to apply ink to your surface, sprinkle Distress Powder onto image and tap off excess. Emboss using Ranger�s Inkssentials� Heatit� Craft Tool or similar Heat Tool until powder turns a slightly deeper tone � unlike traditional powders these will not turn shiny.

3. For best results it is recommended you emboss with Distress Ink� inks (yes, the dye inks!), Distress Embossing Ink� or the Inkssentials Two Tone Big and Bossy� Pad (Clear and Black Embossing Ink together in one pad). Note: If embossing with watermark or pigment inks, you will still get the matte, textured look and feel from the Distress Powders, but you will have less or no rub off.

4. To distress, emboss image and allow to cool for a few seconds. Lightly rub embossed image with your finger or Cut n� Dry Foam to remove the special release crystals. Some colors release more than others, so don�t worry if some rub off more or less �it�s part of the �aged� look.

5. Because some Distress Embossing Powder colors only change slightly when heated, here is tip for knowing when the embossing is complete: if the feel of the embossing when cooled is like sandpaper, it has been heated enough. If it is too loose like sand on the beach, heat it some more.

6. Some Distress Powders look better on light or dark papers. Practice with all of the colors and you�ll get a better feel on what to expect when embossed.

7. Try a Double Distress embossing technique. Stamp image with chosen Distress Ink stamp pad and emboss with the coordinating Double Distress Powder color. The bottom ink color will show through as you rub off the powder!

Double Distress Color Chart
Antique Linen/Tattered Rose
Old Paper/Milled Lavender
Tea Dye/Mustard Seed
Vintage Photo/Peeled Paint
Walnut Stain/Weathered Wood
Black Soot/Fired Brick

7. For a textured, aged effect, take a piece of Cut n� Dry Foam with Distress or Clear Embossing Ink on it, accent areas of paper, wood or paper mache and emboss with Distress Powders.

8. To create a wonderful combination of color and texture, crumple a tag and hit high points with Clear Embossing Ink using Cut n� Dry Foam. Emboss with Distress Powders and allow to cool. Ink another piece of Cut n� Dry Foam with coordinating color of Distress Ink and rub over embossed tag. This will remove the release crystals as well as ink the background of the tag � amazing results!

As with all Ranger products, we recommend that you experiment and play with different colors and techniques to achieve your desired look.

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
Have you tried Versafine? It is an instant dry pigment ink that is water resistant. (Instant seems to mean different things to different people.. myself, I'd just call it quick drying) I find that it is much easier to clean off my stamps than the Brilliance. The Onyx Black is a good deep black. It's become my favorite pad.
ITA--they are good for photographic and finely detailed stamps, too...good basic pads to have..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Great info from the website...thanks for sharing shell_scraps.
I adore my distress pads and after reading all that great info am going to have to add a few more colours to my collection! Those EP do sound fun, I would love to experiment with them.

Diane, maybe you could hold a class for the more experianced ladies to try out and experiment with some of those products that they aren't too familiar with...
It sounds like the owner of that shop should be very thankful to have you giving her so much good advice and help,
Good luck with the rest of your classes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Bo
Great info from the website...thanks for sharing shell_scraps.
I adore my distress pads and after reading all that great info am going to have to add a few more colours to my collection! Those EP do sound fun, I would love to experiment with them.

Diane, maybe you could hold a class for the more experianced ladies to try out and experiment with some of those products that they aren't too familiar with...
It sounds like the owner of that shop should be very thankful to have you giving her so much good advice and help,
Good luck with the rest of your classes
Thanks I think that's a great idea. I just need to play more myself first. It's obvious from this thread that lots of people love them and I know you guys know best. I already have a small drawer full of EP and wondered at the merit of getting yet another. I like the idea of the combo colors
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes