Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
You can purchase Nice Cardstock at Hobby Lobby. I just bought some single Sheets of Bazzil Cardstock.
It's heavy weight and holds up very well.

I think I paid $2.00 for 15 sheets.
Yeah, cheaters never prosper and cheap cardstock should never be bought unless you can feel the thickness of it first. ;) I shoulda known better!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #42  
ckv
Kookie Creator

How can I ge to Hollos??? Sounds like my type of place. Can someone please give me the address? I want to stop by there the next time i'm in the area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Robert's

I buy all my pappers at rober's and I love it they have such a nice color and matches pretty good with SU ink. they always have sales for 10c a sheet is awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

Hollo's for me. I'm 5 minutes away from it. YAY! 1.00 a pound on most cardstock. I found black glossy there last month, which I have been waiting forever for it to come in. I bought 10 lbs of the stuff. I'll never run out! Plus I won't have to pay high prices for the stuff. It's located in Brunswick, OH just past Laurel road on Route 42. I'll find the exact address for those who want it. My car just knows the way so I never paid attention to the addy I also get all my confetti white there in 8 1/2 x 11 and 12 x 12 it is the same as the confetti white that SU sells.

Stays on Stamping!
Karen
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:09 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen9853
Michaels has a decent selection of colours, but I find that it doens't hold up as well as I'd like... I put a lot of layers on my cards, and they won't stand up if I use less expensive cardstock.

Archivers or your local scrapbook store should have a good selection of inexpensive solid colour cardstock available in individual sheets... that way, you only buy what you need!
And I find that if you try and emboss black EP on Michael's cardstock, you get bits of black ALL OVER the cardstock:mad: ...it's almost like the old blotter type paper up here in Canada....and I think it holds all the little granules of EP.......gggrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #46  
Compulsive Stamper

I buy most of my paper at Hobby Lobby when it is on sale at 50% off. . I buy both the single sheets and the packs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine Elliott
I bought tons of card stock at Michaels when I first started stamping last year and I felt that I wasted my $$$. It seems very flimsy and the colors don't match the SU inks. I Love the Su card stock the best but Joann's sells some Bazzill in packages. If you use a coupon or buy it on sale it is reasonably priced. I like it way better than Michaels.
I did the same thing! I bought a bunch on sale then never really used it because it didn't match my inks and because the cards weren't as nice because of the thickness of the paper.... so I ended up giving it to someone who doesn't use SU products. I wish I hadn't wasted my $$$$ on the Michael's cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseMc99
I buy most of my paper at Hobby Lobby when it is on sale at 50% off. . I buy both the single sheets and the packs
And HL has it on sale this week! I'm stocked on printed papers, but I'm definitely gonna check out the solid cardstock in single sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to go to Fargo on Wednesday and this will definitely be on my "must stop" list!! 50% off is pretty dang good!!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

I was very happy with the single sheets of paper at Hobby Lobby. I got it for 50% off a couple weeks ago. I went there to find something close to Positively Pink. They had a color that was perfect!

I found the Hollo's website: http://www.geocities.com/eureka/promenade/9725/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wish there was one closer to me...I think the nearest Hobby lobby is an hour away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

I am true to SU mostly, but when I stray from that, I use Bazzill. Probably not any cheaper than the SU, huh?

When I started making cards, I bought a bunch of paper from Michaels b/c the packs were, like, $3.99 for 50 sheets and they came in color themes like, Holiday, Summer, Vintage, etc. Once I got my hands on the SU cardstock, all this paper seemed like a waste of money to me. It was flimsy to me. I wasn't happy. Do you want it? PM me if you are interested.

For me, I don't make enough cards (I guess) where cost of cardstock becomes an issue. I bought the "variety" pack of SU card stock in each color family - 3 sheets of each color (8.5 x 11) for, what was it, $7.50 per pack, and then I'll buy 24-packs of individual colors (8.5 x 11) for $4.95 when I need quantity for a specific project. To me, that doesn't seem that bad for a quality weight cardstock.

My only complaint with the SU cardstock is that I left a portion of a sheet on my craft table in August- partially overlapped with another piece of paper. It was on the table for about a week or two. When I moved it, the exposed part was totally faded. So, I make sure to keep my paper in a proper storage place, away from sunlight. I've used another company's paper, and that didn't happen to me- so that paper goes in my albums and I use SU! strictly for cards. To each their own- I mean, really, how much sun exposure does an album get? But since I have quantity of the other paper, I'll use that in the albums until it's used up.

HIH,
Adriene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

I cannot tell the difference between the 110 Georgia Pacific and the SU white except that you get 6 times the cardstock with GP for the same prices as the SU without the shipping costs also. I buy about 3 packages at time. I love that it is such a bright white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

One good thing I have found is that the flimsier cardstock can still work for layers on a card, just not the main piece. So at least my cheapskate ways weren't a total loss. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

The difference between the SU cs and the one from Walmart is the type of image you will get. I do use Bazzill as well. The WM cs leaves you with a less crisp, uneven image. I think some time ago someone had actually posted some photos. I purchased the paper and will do a demo at a workshop or class if someone is giving the oh I can get cheaper paper at _______ speech. Sometimes you just get what you pay for.

I do also use Basic Grey and have patterned papers....well, let's not get into all the places I have patterned paper from :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #56  
Cardstock Collector

I looooove SU cardstock, if not simply because I know everything will color coordinate beautifully. However, it is quite expensive, so I find that a lack of good cardstock is what causes my stamping frustrations. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

I'd like to know some great places to get patterned paper from if anyone has any faves. Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvbeingme23
I looooove SU cardstock, if not simply because I know everything will color coordinate beautifully. However, it is quite expensive, so I find that a lack of good cardstock is what causes my stamping frustrations. Thanks for all the great ideas!
I thought SU was so expensive, but when I priced it out, it is only 21 cents a sheet for the colored paper, and 17 cents a sheet for white and vanilla. the confetti paper is the expensive one and that works out to 22 cents a sheet. This is for 8-1/2 by 11. For a standard A-2 card you can get 2 card bases. Figure layers you will only at most use one more sheet of paper, you are looking at most 43 cents per card. That really put it into perspective for me! lol. I started pricing out some of the other card stock I had bought and was surprised that what I thought was a good deal wasn't so great when I saw the price vs. the quality.

BTW, not a SU demo, just a loyal customer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
I thought SU was so expensive, but when I priced it out, it is only 21 cents a sheet for the colored paper, and 17 cents a sheet for white and vanilla. the confetti paper is the expensive one and that works out to 22 cents a sheet. This is for 8-1/2 by 11. For a standard A-2 card you can get 2 card bases. Figure layers you will only at most use one more sheet of paper, you are looking at most 43 cents per card. That really put it into perspective for me! lol. I started pricing out some of the other card stock I had bought and was surprised that what I thought was a good deal wasn't so great when I saw the price vs. the quality.

BTW, not a SU demo, just a loyal customer
Really?! I went to AC Moore to get cardstock today and it seemed about the same price as SU, so I was going to check the SU catty. If it's really not that much of a difference, then forget AC Moore!

It's not my money, though, so I guess I should talk it over with the credit card holder a.k.a. dad. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

The Walmart white is 3.3 cents per sheet and I absolutely cannot tell the difference in any way. I have stamped on them side by side with a variety of kinds of inks and they are about as identical as you can get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

It also embosses equally well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

I like the prefolded cards for making my cards because they are ALL Ready for stamping! Cut, folded, and often come with coordinating envelopes. Simon Says Stamp Ebay store has some really cool cards called TSUMUGI in lots of colors. I made my Christmas cards with them ( and some of the plain white ones Simon sells too ) this year. Hero Arts is the manufacturer. Nothing beats a clean, crisp quality card that's Begging and pleading to be stamped on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 AM   #63  
Kookie Creator

I usually get my paper at Kelly Paper or Xpedex - you can pick up single sheets to try as well. I like Paper Zone as well but its at a 45 min drive. We don't have a Wal-Mart that's close by...and no AC Moore or Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
The difference between the SU cs and the one from Walmart is the type of image you will get. I do use Bazzill as well. The WM cs leaves you with a less crisp, uneven image. I think some time ago someone had actually posted some photos. I purchased the paper and will do a demo at a workshop or class if someone is giving the oh I can get cheaper paper at _______ speech. Sometimes you just get what you pay for.

I do also use Basic Grey and have patterned papers....well, let's not get into all the places I have patterned paper from :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Oh, I've got the patterned paper bug, too! There's almost no room for more cardstock 'cause of that! I just like that I can save money on the white cardstock and stamp around with images and play without worrying as much about wasting the paper, since it's cheap. I haven't noticed a big difference in the image quality (and I did see the other thread with pics), and I use more white cardstock for the stamped images than anything else, so I guess I just get used to it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #65  
Cardstock Collector

Default where to buy cardstock

i go where they used to print news paper every day the tooele truncrip bulletin is 5 minutes away from where i live but any way you migth have something similar in your comunitie, it cost me $ 8.00 for 250 sheets and i like to get the white cardstock. i think is a fabulous deal. i hope i could helped yu a little bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I used to be an SU demo and used SU cardstock exclusively but I've recently been migrating to PTI and Prism cardstocks. I love the weight of PTI and the texture and color selection of Prism is incredible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #67  
Glitter Guru

former SU demo, who also, has gone over to the "other side" I use PTI cardstock almost exclusively now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pryor208View Post
One good thing I have found is that the flimsier cardstock can still work for layers on a card, just not the main piece. So at least my cheapskate ways weren't a total loss. ;)
THANK YOU!!! I was going to post this when I finished reading this thread. It made no sense to me reading all these people who are throwing away perfectly good cardstock just because it isn't heavy enough to hold up an 18 layer card!

Using the thinner cardstock for layers makes the whole card lighter, reducing the "fall-over" issue, reducing the cost to mail, and reducing the environmental issues.

I make sure that I never waste paper. I use it, and have no qualms about using it when needed and appropriate, but to simply throw away unused paper is environmentally irresponsible. I use previously printed sheets of printer paper to print out coupons or recipes- who cares what is on the back? I save every sheet of paper that was only printed on one side and my students use this for scrap paper for tests and problems rather than using a new sheet of paper. I save all my scraps and use them for mats or layers or to make embellishments with punches and such.

Paper is one of the most significant environmental issues of our time. The depletion of trees has a devastating effect on the whole atmosphere and our ability to breathe.

I am not advocating anything against papercrafting- obviously *I* am a papercrafter myself. But responsible usage in our hobby should be a concern.

This is also a reason I like needlework. It not only produces a far more permanent result, the main materials (fabric and floss) are renewable since they are grown.

BTW- the reason why any cardstock is heavier in color than in white is that when color is added it is absorbed into the paper fibers, thereby adding actual weight to the paper. That is also the reason that white paper is flimsier- it needs to be bleached and some of the material is actually removed from the fibers.

PS- in answer to the original question, I either buy the 25 or 50 packs of pre-folded cards with envelopes from Michaels or ACMoore, or I use the 110# cardstock from Staples, which is about the same as the GP from Walmart. Works great and the price beats any of the stamping company cardstocks by a mile. Other than the card base, I try to stick to paper rather than cardstock for weight, mailing cost, etc reasons.

Last edited by tchk; 08-09-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was using some Georgia Pacific for layers until I noticed that the ink doesn't dry as fast and isn't quite as crisp. I had to wait forever for some red ink to dry on it, and messed up several pieces before I realized what was wrong. Since then, I use only SU and PTI. I use SU Shimmer White for bases or PTI white. I use SU plain white for layers.
Other than that, it is SU all the way!
Reply With Quote Likes