Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are Copics so much better than SU?

Can someone tell me in a straight forward way why are the Copic Markers so much better than the Stampin Up markers?? After reading about them here, I really want them. But why do I want them? What do they do that Stampin Up markers don't? I know there are several posts out here about the Copics, but I haven't found anything yet that really answers my question. Also, can you color detailed areas with the ciao markers? The tips look big compared to the fine point of the SU markers. Thanks for any help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a totally different type of ink.

I will tell you one thing I love more about them. They are not as wet, I mean they don't get your paper as wet. So with SU markers if you like to build up layers eventually it pills the paper a bit, tears it ya know? The Copic markers just don't do that. It's one of my favorite things about them.

I think lots of talented ladies have proven that you can get great shading from your SU markers, so don't let people convince you that the only way to get georgeous shading is with a copic. I just find that because I can layer over and over with them it's easier for me.

The tip on the brush end of the copics comes to a teensy point. so you can get in tight areas if you use really light pressure. The point doesn't seem to fray like a lot of markers I have do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have both. I don't need both but I have both. They are like comparing apples and oranges, they aren't the same animal. The SU markers I use for a more water color look, the Copics are a different type look. It's more of a solid color in look that I use with the Copics for. The quality is fabulous and I love using them. The SU tips are not so great, the Copics are lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also when you color in an entire image, with some markers you can see the line marks of where you colored. You don't get that with a copic marker.

I also like the fact that the paper doesn't get as wet when you color an image. That was one problem I had with SU markers that made me really look into the copic markers further. I now have them and just love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Thanks! These are exactly the types of answers I was looking for Of course they just make me want the copics more! What are the best ones to get....ciao, sketch, original?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Check this thread, it has some answers for your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

(sorry for the off topic) I bought the neatest DVD yesterday at Hobby Lobby that is all about Copic Markers and how to use them.. I watched it last night when we got home (it was late) and am going to watch it again.. they made the shading look so easy.. super easy was what I was thinking as I watched it. I have all the Stampin' UP! markers and a whole lot of Copics.. I use both, but am really going to be using my Copics more now that I seen them in action.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

At HL? What section was it in and what is it called? I would love a tutorial dvd on Copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi there........a new question........which is better and for what. Copic markers or tombow. I only have used SU. I am trying to color more and shade and I am looking to buy something that doesn't get real wet and shades nicely. And do I need a blender marker with copics or the tombows?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

Does anyone have a homemade YouTube video tutorial? I know how good you all are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleSGView Post
At HL? What section was it in and what is it called? I would love a tutorial dvd on Copics!
This is where fate comes into play.. the bathrooms are near the marker aisle.. so my daughters go to the restroom and I am standing there looking at the Copics because of course they are on sale again, but I forgot my list.. I look down at the counter in front of the rack and there lays this DVD on Copics. It's priced $9.99 and so I figure I'll give it a whirl.. imagine my surprise when the lady gave me 30% off.. didn't know that til I was in the truck looking at my receipt. I don't really know where to tell you to look for it, but it is by Copic and maybe Hobby Lobby has an instructional video how-to aisle. I would just ask, they should know. I did learn I pronounce them incorrectly.. I was saying Co-pick but they are pronounced like Cope-ic ~ now I need to find some time to rewatch and put my learning to work.
I did noticed I used the markers as coloring markers, and they used them like brushstrokes and then when in larger areas they did circular motions.. but mostly the coloring is done as brushstrokes, as if sketching! Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Thank you Pam, I need to get over there and pick one up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default No Copics? No Problem!

Before you spend a bundle on Copics, please read this blog at Paper Pleasing Ideas.... No Copics? No Problem!. Try it out and you might decide to use your money for an entirely different "toy."
John 3:16

Last edited by GarnetJ; 12-28-2007 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: It's a bLog not a bog!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Before you spend a bundle on Copics, please read this blog at Paper Pleasing Ideas.... No Copics? No Problem!. Try it out and you might decide to use your money for an entirely different "toy."
Just checked out this blog....now if I can actually do that technique, it will be a miracle. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

wow - that's impressive. will have to give it a shot one day -

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
- - Vincent van Gogh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

What a great tip. Markers on Watercolor paper! I am so relieved I don't have to deal with yet again, another rage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 24 prismacolor markers (also alcohol based) that I use. I find I get the same results as with Copics, except the price is much better. Just a thought.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Where can you purchase copic markers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thank you GarnetJ for providing the Paper Pleasing Ideas' blog. This blog really has some great tips in it. I am going to add this to my technique notebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandblossom
Where can you purchase copic markers?
You can purchase from...

http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/StoreFront

or

http://www.eclecticpaperie.com/

...both have great prices and service. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I keep hearing people talk about copics and was wondering what they are. After checking the price on-lin.....yikes!! The blog that someone posted was awesome! added to my favorites.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

The two are so different! I know some people use water to make their SU markers blend and shade like Copics, but it only works in certain conditions. I have one Lockhart stamp that is so small and detailed, you could never use the SU markers and use the water that way. Becuase Copics are alcohol based you can go over them again and again and the paper doesn't pill or wear through.

But there are things you can't do with Copics, like color directly on your stamps. And for many applications, the SU markers are just as blendable and can be layered quite well. For instance, if you are coloring a leaf, you could color the whole thing Certainly Celery, then come back with the same marker and darken the stem and vein, and you can do it again if you don't scrub the marker on the paper and don't do it too much.

With Copics, I would do the leaf in yellow first, then add a soft green, then add a darker green and end up with an awesome professional look. And I stink as an artist! My hubby is the talented one.

If I get a hard line, I can use the colorless blender to soften the edge, and if it is too dark for me I can remove color. You can make a new color by touching the tip of one marker to another, and it doesn't hurt either marker.

Bottom line, I like having both. I like matching my writing in my cards with my SU small tip on the marker. I can't afford to buy huge sets at a time, so I go to HL or Ellen Hutson.com and buy the colors I think I will be using most for a little while. I am building my Copic selection gradually.

February is a great time to buy all the SU markers! You can really earn som SAB sets free when you buy them! That is what I did last year. I saved up for my SAB order for a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry! One more beautiful thing about Copics if you are trying to "live green." They are refillable and the nibs are replaceable. They call them "lifetime markers". They are shpaed so that they don't roll off of your work surface, also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to agree with those that have said they are two different animals altogether. There are good reasons to have both! Other than the cost involved, having both is a good way to go.

I love my SU markers. When I first started many years ago, though, I HATED them, lol! Back 10 years ago or so, everything in the SU catalog seemed to be watercolored, and beautifully at that! I could NOT get that look. And then I tried watercolor paper. Duh...sheesh! Water-based ink, watercolor paper. What a concept! Once I got that down, watercoloring with pencils or markers got much easier.

The Copics are just so different. Because they're alcohol based markers, the dry time is instant. When you shade you are adding color. Unlike with SU markers, where the ink is pushed around on the paper to do that.

I really do think that folks should find a place to purchase just a few Copic pens to try out. I also think trying the Sketch and the Ciao to compare the shapes in your hands is nice if that's available. I hear that there's a way to use the Ciao's with the airbrushing system, or there will be soon, so that's not an issue anymore.

Still, the idea that one is "better" than the other is sort of like asking which you prefer...air or water, kwim? Both are quite useful to us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by michlz319View Post
Just checked out this blog....now if I can actually do that technique, it will be a miracle. ;)
Just a bit of info, you will spend a much time coloring with the Copics as the SU markers. They do not come out on the paper looking like that, there is just as much blending with the Copics, and you have to watch them, since they bleed onto whatever surface you have underneath, since the are alcohol based.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by michlz319View Post
Does anyone have a homemade YouTube video tutorial? I know how good you all are!
I have a short little video tutorial on my blog if you are interested, here is the link:
http://sherrie-cardcreme.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Love my copics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I viewed Sherrie's (BC Sherrie) video on her blog-- pretty great stuff-- real *hands on*!!! Check it out!!! Thanks, Sherrie!!! (I just ordered my Copics today, can't wait to try them!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes