Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #81  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, buggainok!

Anyone with experience with rolling pins and the BISK?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

That is great. I like the embossing folders, but already have a Sidekick and didn't want to invest in another machine. Hmmm, I'm going to have to try the Sizzlet dies with the rolling pin. It would be great to be able to put a shaped window in the front of a card.

I thought it pretty amusing that a website that sells the cuttlebug would post the info about the rolling pin method! :rolleyes:

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #83  
Kookie Creator

Great idea. I posted earlier trying to figure out how to use the embossing folders with a Zip'eMate - this is so much easier.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #84  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,120 Likes on 969 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by look-inkgood
I am wondering if you do this repeatedly without the acrylic plate over the embossing folder, will the rolling pin start breaking the folder? I think maybe the uneven pressure, or the repeated rolling motion might cause cracks or something? The acrylic plate keeps pressure evenly distributed...
What do you all think? This seems too good to be true! :-)
If this is a concern, why not go to Walmart and buy a small inexpensive acrylic cutting board to use in place of the plate? Or 2 to make a sandwich?
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #85  
Matboard Maniac

After reading the above posts, my curiosity lead dear husband and I to take a side trip to M's for a swirl folder. So I tried this tonight, but forgot about spraying the cardstock with water! I evidently haven't enough strength to get an impression - only a faint hint of design. Then dear husband tried and got an impression, but not deep. This was just the folder, white core mat stack cardstock, and a rolling pin on a wooden table top. So I took the folder with the paper still inside to my Big Shot and placed the folder inside the two plates. Well, the impression is deep ~ so deep it cut through some of the swirls but not enough to be obvious if you don't hold it up to a light! I will have to try with the water spritzing to see if that is the magic for not using a machine. Just had to share so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, the spritzing lightly with water is necessary to achieve the embossing without the machine! I lightly mist sprayed the front and back of a piece of cardstock from the same mat stack. Then I placed it inside the folder and on the wood table. It made a good impression, but went deeper when I placed a magazine under the folder and rolled over once again! I got a deep impression without cutting through any of the swirls. So, it works even for those of us with lesser arm strength!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Try putting a piece of fun foam under it so you can press harder. With a marble rolling pin I can get same exact deepness of impression as with the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #88  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, I have fun foam. Hmm, I always wanted a marble rolling pin and now I have another reason for one. Thank you for the help housefan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #89  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I used the cuttlebug folders with a pasta machine set on the highest setting & it worked great. Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this or tried it but it works well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #90  
Glitter Guru

I tried this with the rolling pin and spritzing it with water and without. I did a few, then had DH try some. He wanted to try it without water, I agree, not as good of an impression. I am going to try the magazine and then fun foam and see which looks better. Wish my Michael's had more folders then just the birthday and thanks ones. :-( I guess I need to order some more on line!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #91  
Inking Addict

i have been wanting to buy the machine for a long time now but the price keeps me from doing so. I can't thank you enough for sharing this wonderful idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

Location: In the mountains of course!...where else would an Ocean Girl live?

Wow! How cool is that!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #93  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnmercedes
well...I just went to the store and bought a folder...tried the rolling pin method...8 times....

Not really impressed. It will do I suppose. I had to really wet the paper, both sides...stand on a stool to get leverage over the folder...It makes an impression..but not as good as the one I saw demoed in the store.

I'm open to suggestions...but this makes me feel better about buying the cuttlebug.

I tried this and wasn't too thrilled, either. But then I tried again. I REALLY pressed hard. And went back and forth several times. It worked great! For those of us who are budget challenged at the moment, it's a great alternative. Maybe if you try again and press really hard. In fact, it's almost as if I can feel the paper give. That's when you know you've got a good impression.

I also think the wetness of the cardstock makes a difference. I let it soak in before I tried the second time. The first time there were still water droplets laying on the paper.

Hope you have better success if you try again.

Cathy Green
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #94  
Glitter Guru

I am really looking forward to trying this. I just got the Cricut around Thanksgiving, so I don't really want to spend the $ on the Cuttlebug since I'll really only use it to emboss (just can't justify a $60 - 80 embosser). I do have a pasta machine and a marble rolling pin, so I'm off to pick up a couple of folders and see what I can do. Thanks so much for all the great tips!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #95  
Compulsive Stamper

OMG! I am so trying this, i'm almost 15i can't afford a cuttlebug!!! But this, this is awesome!!!! TFS!! I will try this !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #96  
Matboard Maniac

When I used the water, I used a cheapie green dollar store spritzer with a fine mist. There were no water droplets, but a fine misted water on both sides. The water sank in fairly fast and the impression was almost as deep as the machine impression. Maybe it is the fineness of the mist that helps get an evenly deep impression. Oh the fun foam under the folder on the table does help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #97  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazkets
Thanks for sharing! I have been admiring the Cuttlebug machine, but can't justify purchasing it. The folders are very reasonabally priced, and I have a rolling pin just gathering dust!

ME TOO!!! ME TOO!!!

Thanks so much for this tip -- now I'm off to eBay to grab some embossing folders ;)!

-- kimB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM   #98  
Embossing Fanatic

How cool is that? I defintely want to give this one a try. Thank you for sharing. The endless suggestions and tips everyone submits are always appreciated. Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #99  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for your experience/opinions. I too can't justify the cost/space of a CB. I work at a elementary school and have been wondering how this might work on our Ellison(die cut) machine. As soon as M's has a coupon in the paper, I'll give it a try and report back. I think I'll try it with and without a piece of fun foam. I was just down in the workroom today cutting out orange and blue bears!! GO CHICAGO! Woo Hoo!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassssionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong because someday you will have been all of these.--George Washington Carver
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks so much for sharing this tip! I too can't justify the $$ for a Cuttlebug but this sounds too good to pass up trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #101  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just found this thread and am bummed because Michael's is closed! I will venture there tomorrow. I am so excited. Thanks so much for the info! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #102  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejo
I just found this thread and am bummed because Michael's is closed! I will venture there tomorrow. I am so excited. Thanks so much for the info! :mrgreen:
Hang tough until the store opens tomorrow! I spotted this thread only an hour before JoAnn's closed - made it there in time to get a folder and get home to try it--- WOWZER!!! IT WORKED!!! I got the stylized flower card sized folder (40% off of $4.99!!!) and it looked fablous done with the rolling pin. Tried it on some cheapie white cardstock, misted lightly, rolled with a teflon coated rolling pin with a piece of fun foam underneath for padding - lovely deep impressions the very first try! Going back tomorrow for the card sized thank you folder and the swirl...:cool:

Hope Michaels has the ones you want - happy shopping (and rolling!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #103  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnmercedes
well...I just went to the store and bought a folder...tried the rolling pin method...8 times....

Not really impressed. It will do I suppose. I had to really wet the paper, both sides...stand on a stool to get leverage over the folder...It makes an impression..but not as good as the one I saw demoed in the store.

I'm open to suggestions...but this makes me feel better about buying the cuttlebug.
I'm with you on this one. I tried the rolling pin technique and I found it really hard to get even pressure. It was a great workout though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #104  
Cardstock Collector

I didn't think it worked at all, much much better with the cuttlebug, would not even use the one done with the rolling pin. After i tried the rolling pin i went right back and bought the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeysgirl
Thanks everyone for your experience/opinions. I too can't justify the cost/space of a CB. I work at a elementary school and have been wondering how this might work on our Ellison(die cut) machine. As soon as M's has a coupon in the paper, I'll give it a try and report back. I think I'll try it with and without a piece of fun foam. I was just down in the workroom today cutting out orange and blue bears!! GO CHICAGO! Woo Hoo!

I bet it would work in the Ellison if it is like the sizzix b/c these work in my sizzix without a problem. The ellison we have at school is a lever type that puts pressure on the dies so if that is what you have- go for it. With my sizzix I do not have to put a lot of pressure at all and they look wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #106  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried the rolling pin method (Have a marble rolling pin so I thought it would be better) but not much luck. My daughter is buying the cuttlebug so I will get her Sizzix machine. They come out wonderfully in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #107  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, it worked for me, and I can't thank everyone enough for their tips and techniques!!! I feel like I've struck it rich!! Well, you know, I saved $80 on the Cuttlebug, so now I can buy how many stamp sets?!?!?!? Think my husband will fall for that?!?!?!?

I used a super-fine mist, both sides of the card stock, and rolled back and forth several times, just on my kitchen counter. Once the card stock dried, I jumped up and down for all the excitement!!! Thanks again!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #108  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, I've been experimenting - spraying the cardstock front & back. Much better! I can live with that! The embossing looks really nice. The only problem is that I have to wait for it to dry! haha! Guess I need to do up a bunch so I can have it on hand when I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #109  
Forum Fanatic

I went back to JoAnn's and bought 2 more embossing folders after seeing the results of my first attempt! I now have the swirl and thank you folder to "roll"!!!!

Someone commented earlier that they had better impressions by doing the rolling on a lower surface - I tried this and it did the trick. It is much easier to apply extra pressure when the table surface is lower than countertop height. Whoever shared this tip, thank you!!!

I am delighted to be able to have these fabulous embossed backgrounds without having to add another expensive machine to my stamp room. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #110  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
Okay, the spritzing lightly with water is necessary to achieve the embossing without the machine! I lightly mist sprayed the front and back of a piece of cardstock from the same mat stack. Then I placed it inside the folder and on the wood table. It made a good impression, but went deeper when I placed a magazine under the folder and rolled over once again! I got a deep impression without cutting through any of the swirls. So, it works even for those of us with lesser arm strength!
Now the magazine under the folder technique sounds interesting. I tried the rolling pin method with unsatisfactory results, though admittedly, I didn't use water. I even tried putting the folder underneath my car tire and driving over it and there was no improvement over just the rolling pin.

I used the pin on my counter top then the tile floor after I couldn't get good leverage (i'm so short) from the counter. I would have thought the harder the surface the better but you mentioned the mag works better....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #111  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by its_kristy
Now the magazine under the folder technique sounds interesting. I tried the rolling pin method with unsatisfactory results, though admittedly, I didn't use water. I even tried putting the folder underneath my car tire and driving over it and there was no improvement over just the rolling pin.

I used the pin on my counter top then the tile floor after I couldn't get good leverage (i'm so short) from the counter. I would have thought the harder the surface the better but you mentioned the mag works better....
Actually, a cushion helps to get a better impression (think of rubber stamps that have cushions as compared to bare naked rubber) - I used the thick fun foam that is a good 1/8" thick underneath the folder...impression turned out great doing this (also lightly misted the cs with water on front AND back before putting into folder).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

WOO-HOO! You just saved me $80 and it really works!! With the folders being fairly cheap ($5 or less with store coupons), I can have all the cool effects of the CuttleBug without the expense! YEA! YEA! YEA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #113  
Embossing Fanatic

Clever. Simply clever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #114  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone somewhere in marketing is NOT very happy !
But we are !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #115  
Polyshrink Goddess

I will have to try this as the price of the machine is prohibitive. I wonder if a mousepad would work too under the folder. Has anyone tired this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well isn't this exciting?! I like a few of the CB folders a LOT but don't care for most of the others... what a great way to make use of the few I really like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the info! I added it to my favorites to try later!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #118  
Stampin' Fool

Just found this topic and am so happy! I was wondering about some way to use the CB folders without purchasing the machine. I already have the Sizzix and am gald to hear that they will work with it. i lke the looks of the embossing. Something to try tomorrow......g'nite...

Sara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 AM   #119  
Glitter Guru

wow this saves a ton of money. I will definetlly keep this in mind and put money aside for this now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #120  
Glitter Guru

does this also work on the small folders. For example the 4 in a set. Any samples done here by any of you ladies. I would like to see the results before spending the money.
Reply With Quote Likes