Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOV10VSBNJ ~ Saturday, November 6, 2010 ~ 6:00 PM EST ~ Looking for the Silver Lining

Title: "Looking for the Silver Lining"
Hostess: MsRabbott (Rachel)
Keyword: NOV10VSBNJ
Day/Date: Saturday, November 6, 2010
Time: 6:00pm (EST)

Lately I have developed a rediculous obsession with a silver leafing pen I picked up from the hardware store. I've been attacking chipboard, paper flowers, pearls... I tell you - nothing is safe from this bad boy! I want YOU to pull out some silver to use on your layout tonight! Now this can be silver paper, brads, bling, ribbon, embossing... you name it! But that's the easy part! ;)

My challenge to you us to document a time when you may have felt like you were living life under a cloud, but things turned out to have a silver lining after all. This could be a job change, a move, a break-up, any sort of unexpected circumstances that turned out better than you thought they would. Feel free to hide your journaling as I have done in my sample, this way you can really document your true feelings about the situation while still keeping it private. Remember, all these events should be honored because they shape who we are!!

Happy Scrapping!

Here is my Sample - The Silver Lining
VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE
UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. To be considered for VSBN Recognition, ALL VSBN CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 10:00 PM EST ON SUNDAY, November 14.

2. You have 3 hours to complete the challenge (each challenge theoretically produces one page per hour). For contest purposes, 1 upload per participant per challenge will be eligible to earn award/recognition. For example: if you complete 3 indivdual pages for this challenge, and upload each of them to the gallery you can only win one award/recognition for only one of your pages; the other two are part of the gallery to share but cannot win any award/recognition. If you upload a double page spread as one upload, it will be considered one upload; please do not upload the pages individually or they will not be considered a double page spread. It is the VSBN Challenge Host's decision to award/recognize pages that best represent her challenge based on the criteria in the challenge. Please be sure to write your description of how you interpreted his/her challenge in your Upload Description.

3. Please remember to put in the correct KEYWORD: NOV10VSBNJ, when uploading your image; a wrong keyword means your submission may not be seen for consideration. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.

It is also highly recommended that you post a link to your creation in this chat thread to be sure you layout is seen by the host and all visitors.

Last edited by Lmn; 11-06-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I know what I want to document, it's a matter of finding some pictures to represent it, which I know we have somewhere, but now that the basement has been demolished I am not so sure anymore. So here's hoping I can make it all come together

But basically I have supported my hubby through all of his job changes to get to his ultimate goal of working for a major airline. You have to start at the bottom and work through it with upgrades, small airlines, etc, which meant very very very low pay for many years that will take us a lot of years to catch up on and some sacrifices that I know he felt terrible about, but it's all finally coming together.
So wish me luck on finding some pics to represent us, it may have to be a double page spread, but will be worth it when I can pull it together
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
YTD SB Pages: 7
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh that is an awesome story! You could do photos of the two of you back then, and current photos, then journal about how far you've come! Just a thought! ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #4  

yep, but I know I have some of him with his airplanes too, so hoping I can find them, but right now the girls are fighting, more specifically Maddy doesn't want Maci (the baby) taking things from her, umm the poor little 9 month old doesn't stand a chance!!!!
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Whoooo boy! Just wait until they're teenagers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #6  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking YUP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsRabbottView Post
Oh that is an awesome story! You could do photos of the two of you back then, and current photos, then journal about how far you've come! Just a thought! ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I think so too Charlsanne! What a great story. My cousin and her hubby are going through the same process, it's been some tough times working their way up .... ;)

What a neat story....

I've got to dig thru some photos too and see what I can come up with, I can't wait to use my silver pen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #7  

Quote:

Whoooo boy! Just wait until they're teenagers!
that's what's scaring me, all was good till "the girl" turned about 6 months old, then I think the novelty of having a sister wore off, funny part is the page I am putting together for "the star" challenge I think the last challenge, is about how much they adore and love each other, of course those pictures are from Day 2 and about 5 weeks old, hehehehehe, my how things have changed in just a short time!
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #8  

Received 1,405 Likes on 530 Posts

Wow, I hope I can do this challenge (meaning, I hope I have the time - I need to feed the girls and do baths and then bedtime). I know exactly what I want to do. Dh and I went through a very bad patch when our daughters were super little (we had 4 children in 5 years). They needed so much and I was (still am) a stay at home mom plus I was so tired, that I not only ignored my husband but would harbor angry feelings towards him, as if it was his fault we had children and that I was shouldering the majority of childcare duties (he was moving along in his career and working longer hours). I remember nursing at night and "yelling" at him in my head as I sat there, listing all his faults to myself. This went on for 5 years. Then, when our youngest was 13 months old and I had just weaned her, I decided to make things better. I lost the extra 10 pounds I was carrying around plus some more, cleaned up our eating habits in a major way, intensified my exercise routine, and got in the best shape of my life. I then did a makeover on myself with new clothes, hair, and makeup. I created date nights for DH and I, even if they were just at home. I forced myself to make a scrapbook album, with each layout a journaling of a specific trait I loved about him. I realized the problems in our marriage weren't his fault only (in fact, they were mostly mine) and that if I wanted to see changes, then I should initiate them. And it worked! It reignited our marriage and we love and enjoy each other more, and laugh more than we ever have. We've been together 15 years and our friends are amazed that we act like we are just falling in love (our friends have known us since college, when we met). Some have even asked us what our secret is!

Hmmm...didn't mean to ramble. But, in any case, that is what my page would be about for this challenge should I get to complete it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #9  

Umm...we have all girls and they get along very well 90% of the time but when they do fight - wow! - it gets physical and loud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: "In a state of somewhere.... Somewhere between Motherhood and Grandma should!"

Hey... is this where everyone is hanging?
OLW: Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

My story is pretty similar, we moved North during a pretty rough patch, and I really used it as an opportunity to turn everything around and change things for the better. This was some really difficult journaling to do, but also very therapeutic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Wow, I hope I can do this challenge (meaning, I hope I have the time - I need to feed the girls and do baths and then bedtime). I know exactly what I want to do. Dh and I went through a very bad patch when our daughters were super little (we had 4 children in 5 years). They needed so much and I was (still am) a stay at home mom plus I was so tired, that I not only ignored my husband but would harbor angry feelings towards him, as if it was his fault we had children and that I was shouldering the majority of childcare duties (he was moving along in his career and working longer hours). I remember nursing at night and "yelling" at him in my head as I sat there, listing all his faults to myself. This went on for 5 years. Then, when our youngest was 13 months old and I had just weaned her, I decided to make things better. I lost the extra 10 pounds I was carrying around plus some more, cleaned up our eating habits in a major way, intensified my exercise routine, and got in the best shape of my life. I then did a makeover on myself with new clothes, hair, and makeup. I created date nights for DH and I, even if they were just at home. I forced myself to make a scrapbook album, with each layout a journaling of a specific trait I loved about him. I realized the problems in our marriage weren't his fault only (in fact, they were mostly mine) and that if I wanted to see changes, then I should initiate them. And it worked! It reignited our marriage and we love and enjoy each other more, and laugh more than we ever have. We've been together 15 years and our friends are amazed that we act like we are just falling in love (our friends have known us since college, when we met). Some have even asked us what our secret is!

Hmmm...didn't mean to ramble. But, in any case, that is what my page would be about for this challenge should I get to complete it!
what an incredible story, it's always nice to know you are not alone out there with your struggles, sometimes it seems like you (me) are the ones at fault and the only ones in that situation, but knowing there are others who go through the same thing means a lot, thanks so much for sharing that with us, really opened my eyes to a few things, as we I think have all felt the same way at some time or another, but kudos to you for taking charge of the situation and remedying it
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie's PantryView Post
Hey... is this where everyone is hanging?
yep - the challenge was just posted a little bit ago

how did the cookies turn out?
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: "In a state of somewhere.... Somewhere between Motherhood and Grandma should!"

Charlsanne... this photo is for you!

All 100 Wedding cookies... The Bridal shower was a great success, we had a lot of fun today.
Attached Thumbnails
NOV10VSBNJ ~ Saturday, November 6, 2010 ~ 6:00 PM EST ~ Looking for the Silver Lining-wedding-cookies.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE those cookies!!! Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Hola , still in the land of unfinished lo's due to "family" distraction( can mom get a break) filled days. lol

Great Challenge I could do a life history album based on this challenge alone.

Goals for 2014
Dec.

5 cards a week:_260__
2 Layouts a week:_104__
My Papercrafting Blog
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamcanView Post
Hola , still in the land of unfinished lo's due to "family" distraction( can mom get a break) filled days. lol

boy Tam ~ you're scaring me... I thought once they got a little older we got some "me" time back.....

Jan 0/8
YTD: 4 pp every 2 weeks; 0/104
2013/30?pp 2012/50 pp 2011/54pp; 2010/96pp ; 2009/122pp
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I LOVE those cookies!!! Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? ;)
sure... I love these cookies and they are really easy to make.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 pinches of salt (little pinches)
1/2 cup crushed pecans

cream together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour and salt mix until well blended and stir in pecans. Some recipes say to chill for 30 mins, but I don't. I roll into full teaspoon sized balls, placing 20 on a large ungreased cookie sheet. I bake mine on parchment paper, this help to stop the cookies from browning so fast on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

sure... I love these cookies and they are really easy to make.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 pinches of salt (little pinches)
1/2 cup crushed pecans

cream together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour and salt mix until well blended and stir in pecans. Some recipes say to chill for 30 mins, but I don't. I roll into full teaspoon sized balls, placing 20 on a large ungreased cookie sheet. I bake mine on parchment paper, this help to stop the cookies from browning so fast on the bottom.
AAAAAAWESOME!!! These are gonna be my Cookie Swap cookies! Thanks for sharing that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #20  

thanks Anavon for sharing, such an easy recipe, and good news for me, I did get a couple more baking sheets at Sams today

Just finished dinner, hoping Maci is winding down soon, it's getting close to her bedtime, so I can finally put a page together today.

Also mom and dad loved the page I did for them yesterday for their anniversary my mom just saw it about an hour ago, she had to go into work early today

And Valerie- I feel the same way, I want less needy!!!! (must be that only child in me)
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #21  

I love these cookies! They are very easy to eat a lot of, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I love these cookies! They are very easy to eat a lot of, too!
I believe that
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

They look a lot easier than the ones I normally make for the holidays, I've broken two wooden spoons over the years making the other cookies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

humm.... I try to make it to scrap, but need to make cookies! lol No eggs! But those cookies by Annie look interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

hope you get time to scrap this story
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #26  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Ooohhh

Quote:

Originally Posted by cla616View Post
And Valerie- I feel the same way, I want less needy!!!! (must be that only child in me)
Be Careful for what you wish for ... LOL! ;) ... You just might get it. I know my BFF and I talk about the times we "wished" for less needy and many days we miss that now. Who would have thunk it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by awjmgmomView Post
boy Tam ~ you're scaring me... I thought once they got a little older we got some "me" time back.....
Uhm, no. really they are independent but when they are home...... mom, mom, mom......

Goals for 2014
Dec.

5 cards a week:_260__
2 Layouts a week:_104__
My Papercrafting Blog
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenstampingpadView Post
humm.... I try to make it to scrap, but need to make cookies! lol No eggs! But those cookies by Annie look interesting!
... and no eggs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
Be Careful for what you wish for ... LOL! ;) ... You just might get it. I know my BFF and I talk about the times we "wished" for less needy and many days we miss that now. Who would have thunk it?
..... AMEN! (Down 6 with two more to go)

But good news... my military baby will be home next week!!!!! He says Afghanistan has been really interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #30  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking YAY!

Quote:

..... AMEN! (Down 6 with two more to go)

But good news... my military baby will be home next week!!!!! He says Afghanistan has been really interesting.
HOME!! That's wonderful! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I went AWOL! Started to do some business computer entering stuff until DGS came home from his afternoon out and when he did come home, the gang all trouped in around 6 and they all just left! DGS is in the bath but it kind of put me considerably behind in getting things done tonight!

Those cookies look really good! Would they be OK without the nuts in them? Or do you have to substitute something else for that ingredient then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

What a cool challenge. I know of several periods of time in my life when I was definitely "living under a cloud" but I've always been a survivor and through my faith and determination, I've always come out ahead in the end! I remember once my one cousin who is about 10 years older than me commenting that it always seemed to her I was never without a job while she always had a hard time finding and keeping one. I had never thought about things like where my next job would come from. I just assume that God will take care of me and show me the way and if something is meant to be, it will be. So I'll have to brainstorm about this one for a bit before deciding what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
Sorry I went AWOL! Started to do some business computer entering stuff until DGS came home from his afternoon out and when he did come home, the gang all trouped in around 6 and they all just left! DGS is in the bath but it kind of put me considerably behind in getting things done tonight!

Those cookies look really good! Would they be OK without the nuts in them? Or do you have to substitute something else for that ingredient then?
no they are great without the nuts... that is the way I make them for my guys, because nuts are not nice to DH. THe one thing I did learn is that you can add just about anything to them as long as it is dry and doesn't melt (example: chocolate chips). We like dried blueberries or cranberries... I just chop them up really really good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #34  

Phew - last challenge done

Now to catch up on here (I know just in time for the next challenge to be posted - story of my life)

Jen- no eggs???? for once I actually have everything the recipe called for

Anavon - that's great for coming home - do you know how long??

Terry - hope you get to play tonight, although once again I will not be up all night with you guys - you all are diehards!!! I am just so dang tired, at least Maci is crashed out for the night, Maddy is talking Chris' ear off downstairs, driving him bonkers, if I closed the door maybe I could concentrate too, I don't know how she has so much to say or talk about, but man we nicknamed named her "nonstop" and "chatty maddy" for a reason
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #35  

Quote:

no they are great without the nuts... that is the way I make them for my guys, because nuts are not nice to DH. THe one thing I did learn is that you can add just about anything to them as long as it is dry and doesn't melt (example: chocolate chips). We like dried blueberries or cranberries... I just chop them up really really good.
mmMmMmmm I bet cranberries would be great, good to know, wonder if I have any, hubby isn't into nuts in baked goods - but I love nuts in my cookies, so once in a while I put nuts in my choco-chip cookies or bread or whatever just so I know I will get to enjoy a few of them - otherwise they disappear fast!!
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Well I found an eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe They are baking as we speak
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenstampingpadView Post
Well I found an eggless chocolate chip cookie recipe They are baking as we speak
desperate times call for desperate measures, hope they are yummy
Feb - 5 SB pages
(6/5)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks! And cranberries do sound good! I just bought some baked oatmeal that had cranberries and orange in it. First time ever I ate something like that and BOY, was it delicious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
Thanks! And cranberries do sound good! I just bought some baked oatmeal that had cranberries and orange in it. First time ever I ate something like that and BOY, was it delicious!
OOoohhh that DOES sound good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

How long he will be home or how long before he gets here? hum....

He is home for good with reenlistment options and he leaves Afghanistan today. Not sure when we will see him because he has to check in at his unit base in New England before he is released.
Reply With Quote Likes